Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
EBay

Anyone buy a DP class A on EBay and if so was the rig as stated. How did you pick up the rig. We are looking at some of the sales and there have been a few great deals on 6 to 8 year old rigs.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The end of last September I bought one and the pictures really showed it off good my wife and I flew out 2 days later from Michigan to California paying the extra $$ for the short notice and one way tickets with a couple hundred extra pounds of baggage. Needless to say when I got there it was not really as described with a lot of mechanical issues so it was not picked up. There was some back and forth for a few months but I did get my deposit back as everything wrong was documented as well as back up pictures.

I went from getting a 2005 Monaco PD with 2 toilets to the 06 Pace Arrow gas I ended up buying in LA, I had to rent a car for several days to get from the north of CA to the south for the rest of the MH shopping
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Bought a gas A off eBay, but only started bidding after a friend did an inspection. Pictures flattered actual unit, but otherwise, unit was as described. Have underside inspected for leaks, excess corrosion, etc. since you usually will not get pics of underside.
igor2brvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know you can pay a co. to inspect autos for a fee is ther one for RVs'.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
A veiw from the other side... i.e. selling on Ebay. I tried to sell a DP on Ebay a few months ago, still have it. I had great photos, great description, coach still under warranty for motor/trans and it never reached what a dealer would pay for it. So, if you can find a good coach and you know it is honestly represented then you will probably get a great buy.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #6

We found our 2007 Excursion DP on ebay in March 2011. Drove from SO CA to AZ. We spent a few hours looking over coach, looked new inside and out. It a few minor issues nothing major, needed batteries, new door lock and keys. Left the broker a $500 deposit, coach was delivered to our home a week later.

BTW
2007 Excursion 39V 8,400 miles. 35O CAT, 24 hours on generator, $130K all leather, washer dryer, tracking sat dish, outside TV. Love our coach.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Drove from Louisiana to Florida in 09 and purchased a 06 Allegro Bay for much less than book value. I drove my 94 Allegro Bay to Florida and traded it. Essex Credit hired inspector from Florida to do an inspection .Everything was as described. All the photos on ebay were good.

The only problem I had was the title. The bank wired money to the dealership(which was a small rv and truck dealer) but, I had to call the Florida MVB and file a complaint to get a title. The owner mailed it to the bank and it got lost in the mail. MVB gave him ten days to provide a title or face suspension of his license to operate. He provided a duplicate title and all was well.

If I was looking for anothe RV, I would definitely do it again.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Sold one on Ebay, bought one on ebay. Just do your homework and if in doubt....go with your gut feeling. Also ask around to see if there is someone close by to look at the coach for you. If they agree, with no obligations, that the coach is as represented. Then GO FOR IT.

Also don't forget to send the third party inspector a gift card for a nice meal.
Just Because is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #9

I have a friend who has bought 2 motorhomes off Ebay, a couple of years apart. On both units, before he bid, he contacted the seller and negotiated a refundable deposit if everything was not as described. He has not been disappointed. He also told me that had they not been willing to give him a written refundable deposit that he would not have bid.
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #10

I recently bought my '03 Winnebago Adventurer 38G via Ebay. I never personally inspected the coach and won the bid at a good price. The coach photos looked very good on Ebay. I drove the coach home, about 50 miles, and all appeared well. I opened the slides to show family members and upon trying to close them, the larger slide would not close. I called the seller and he said he would cover the repair, which he did, but it took two and a half weeks for the parts to arrive. I have since discovered a number of other items that require repair. The seller offered to send me some funds to help offset those items as well.

My point here is that Ebay purchases can be safe and good buys, but it is in your best interest to do a thorough inspection prior to bidding, and check the sellers feedback and number of transactions.

Good luck in your quest.....
sgtstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought a 04 Horizon with 27,000 miles in 09. Drove the toad to S. Lake Tahoe to pick up. It was as advertised. It looks and runs great. Bought new tires and replaced an alternator last year.
I paid less than a third of new price. I got lucky, it was a no reserve auction and I was the only bidder, got scared it was to low and raised it in the last few min., no one else bid and I got it for the opening bid. It now has over 45,000 miles.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the replys. Have been following a few coaches with no reserve and they have sold for at least 20% below any I could find from dealers. I would pay a member who lived near a coach I found to inspect it for us.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #13

Bought a gas A few months back. On advice of members here I had it inspected. Turned out to be at least as good as expected. Got several small items fixed before pickup based on inspection. Good luck, do your homework and have it inspected!
adlerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Bought my2008 Monaco Camelot off eBay. Largest buy it now purchase ever. Dealer was great, fixed the few things that were not right before we left. Did not give deposit as auction stated pay within 7 days. Drove from Alabama to Texas to get it. We love our coach, and got a real deal on it.