Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
"El-Cheapo" tires part II -- done!

So I went ahead a bit the bullet. But before I did, I did some more shopping and checking around, which took a few days. And dy the time I'd decided to buy, as Murphy's law would have it, they only had four of the six tires I needed.

As noted in the first thread, I decided to go with the best deal I could find, which were Samson's, 275-70R 22.5's As noted above, they only had 4, and couldn't get more till early June. We're going on a short trip over Memorial, so that wouldn't work. What they COULD get me were a pair of Sumitomo's, same size, and supposed to be better than the Samsons. Ok, I've never heard of them, but I'll believe ya! They were $90 more per tire, but still much less than the $250+ more for the NEXT best tires, so I told 'em to put 'em up front...

Out with the old:

--and in with the new!

I really like the extra width of the 70 series tire. A shot of the Samson--

And up front, a shot of the Sumitomo--

--if you look real hard, right under the logo on the Sumitomo, it says "MADE IN JAPAN"... to be honest, I don't know if that's a good thing or not, but if this tire is make anything like my cell phone, TV, etc, I'm not going to worry much !

Another shot of my new steers--

--and my new drivers. Note there is NO danger of those tires ever touching each other...

===================

As for my 10 mile test ride, I'm right happy. Based on what I've heard, I was expecting our not-so-smooth back roads to resemble driving over cannonballs, but not so. They put 100psi in the tires, which I figure is a bit much, but the ride up front is nice, actually seems more supple than before. The ride in back is hard to judge since I'm 30' away, but it for sure isn't any worse. Steering and overall "feel" is WAY better. It tracks better, and doesn't seem to squish so much while turning. Since we bought it, I've had a distinct "thump" from the left front tire, that is all gone now (which I expected), the ride up front is dead smooth, like it should be.

So the ride is at least equal and maybe a snick better, to my butt anyway, tracking and road-feel are definitely better than before. 4 tires at $330 and 2 tires @ $420, total cost with tax, $2377.86. Pretty good chunk o' change, but piece of mind is worth it...

Next weekend we'll be putting down about 450 miles, that should be a good test drive! I'll be sure to check back.
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sumitomo is a major tire brand but not well known in the US cause they don't do much with passenger car tires.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i am on my second set of sumis on my honda insight. very good tire. i have hit pavement edges from construction that jammed my head into the roof, no tire issues.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:56 AM   #4

Nice tires. Just a note, the 70 in the size is the aspect ratio for the tire hight. The 275 is the tread width in Milimeters. so the sidewall hieght would be 70% of the treadwidth of 275 mm. If you went with a 275/85/22.5 the tire would be taller and the same treadwidth. Hope this helps
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:35 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have sumis on my rig which are 6 yrs old. Still look great.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Sumitomo is a major Japanese tire maker. I'd feel more confident with those tires than the Samsons, personally. Congratulations and many safe miles.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:35 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great looking tires and hope you get many miles out of them. I'm sure you'll feel a lot better with the new rubber under you. Have a great rving season.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #8

Thanks for the pictures. I am planning to put Samsons on my unit in the next 2 weeks and have never seen a picture of these tires. I am impressed, they look real good. My old tires don't look half as used as yours but they are 6 and 7 years old and I will be hitting the highway in June and don't want to risk a blow out.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I will need new kicks before our Daytona trip next February, so I want to stay close to this thread...we are more "weekenders" than "longhaulers" so I am interested how the value/lesser known brand tires perform...thanks for the pics! I use Yokohamas on my truck and have been very happy with them, so Japanese tires don't concern me at all.
TxRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
Nice tires. Just a note, the 70 in the size is the aspect ratio for the tire hight. The 275 is the tread width in Milimeters. so the sidewall hieght would be 70% of the treadwidth of 275 mm. If you went with a 275/85/22.5 the tire would be taller and the same treadwidth. Hope this helps
Thanks for refreshing my memory! My brain is still back in high school, when talking 75's, 70's and 60 series tires, the lower number always meant "wider". Guess is still does to a point, but you are correct!
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Weh have had Sumitomo tires on two of my wife's cars and never had an issue. Never heard of Samson. Where are they made?

One place I do not cut corners is tires and brakes. I want to best I can afford.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRVMan
I will need new kicks before our Daytona trip next February
Daytona in Feb? Bike Week?
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #13

Don't feel bad, my Michelins say made in Spain.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #14

Sumitomo built Dunlop tires for many years. (see wikipedia for details). I sold hundreds of them from 1990 onward, and had almost zero problems. A few sets of D60A2 Dunlops wore too quickly (less than 30 K miles) and they stood behind their 50K treadwear warranty.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires