Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
My comments in RED
A couple clarifications.....

An exposed heating element on a resistance heater can cause a fire if placed to close to combustible adjacent surfaces . That's why in the operating instructions it says to keep away from combustible surfaces.
An Oil Radiator will not expose adjacent surfaces to temperatures high enough to cause combustion.

A fan forced heater has the risk of the fan failing and shorting out creating a potential fire.

Yes , a fan forced heater will heat faster , but will also cool faster after cycling off.
The Oil Radiator will continue to produce heat during cycling , making for a more even heat.

Regarding condensation , yes , the heater does reduce condensation by maintaining a temperature above the Dew Point. It will also reduce the overall humidity as the coach warms.

There is a plus and minus with everything . I just know this works for us.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2020, 11:48 AM   #16

Oil filled radiator heaters suck the electric.

There is a box heater that uses quartz tubes with a fan. Look under Life Smart Co. or something similar, you can get them at HD, Menards, Walmart. They have an eco mode, Hi, Lo, with different temp settings. Run off 120v.

I use them to heat a 24 x 24 place I live in in the Midwest. Max cost all electric bill has been around the $150 range. Very economical and efficient.
Dearranged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:04 PM   #17

As I read the OP's question it was regarding low heat for storage , not to maintain heat for occupancy.

My Oil Filled Radiators in our boat and MH cost me $30 each a month to maintain 40° to 45° .

While our MH is kept at home in the shop , the boat is moored 35mi. away .

The radiator is the only heater I'm comfortable with having in the boat during storage.

Side note , nearly every boat fire ( which occurs every Winter ) is found to be caused by an exposed element resistance type heater .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearranged View Post
Oil filled radiator heaters suck the electric.

There is a box heater that uses quartz tubes with a fan. Look under Life Smart Co. or something similar, you can get them at HD, Menards, Walmart. They have an eco mode, Hi, Lo, with different temp settings. Run off 120v.

I use them to heat a 24 x 24 place I live in in the Midwest. Max cost all electric bill has been around the $150 range. Very economical and efficient.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 05:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
As I read the OP's question it was regarding low heat for storage , not to maintain heat for occupancy.

My Oil Filled Radiators in our boat and MH cost me $30 each a month to maintain 40° to 45° .

While our MH is kept at home in the shop , the boat is moored 35mi. away .

The radiator is the only heater I'm comfortable with having in the boat during storage.

Side note , nearly every boat fire ( which occurs every Winter ) is found to be caused by an exposed element resistance type heater .
The heaters I referred to can be used for preventive maintenance. They can be set at a lower temperature. Without a fan which takes nothing to run your wasting s lot of energy. I’ve used the oil filled heaters to heat the same building I referred to earlier. Big difference.

You want to eliminate fires don’t use extension cords. Most any heater manufactured nowadays has a tip over feature.
Dearranged is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, heat, heater