Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2021, 10:18 AM   #1

Electric Slide - This is a tough one!

Just back from a trip.

The one motor electric slide on the driver's side front didn't want to come in. The lock arms had been acting funny like extending when the slide was out.

Well I coaxed it in and one locking arm locked (the other stays open). It took quite a few tries as it would move an inch and then stop.

I opened the basement and there was some smoke. Aired it out and decided this was a problem for home.

I am thinking control board but have no real idea where to start.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2021, 10:42 AM   #2

On a phaeton there's a electric slide control board in a separate electrical bay
If you had smoke in the basement, I suggest the motor will be damaged regardless

The insulation on the windings in a motor are varnish, it is called "turn to turn" insulation meaning that the insulation is super thin it is only required to insulate the voltage potential difference between one turn of wire and the next turn of wire.

If the motor pulled too much current the smoke was the varnish burning. Likely their will be some shorting of motor wire/turns resulting in loss of motor torque.

The slides have normal torque and high torque motors depending if the slide is a level floor slide. The level slide requires much higher torque.

My first thought is a) the motor failed/the motor windings are shorting due to heat aging of the insulation b) there is something restricting the slide movement causing too much torque thus too much current and damaging the motor windings.

if the answer is b) then if you put in a new motor ... it will likely fail just the same.

for the controller it could also be damaged by too much current. there may be some scenario where the controller is electronically failing and causing this but usually the controller works or it don't work

my thoughts
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:28 PM   #3

I wonder if I order a replacement motor and control board and instal them if I am just about guaranteed to have the issue fixed.

Slides seem to be the one thing people don't tackle themselves too often.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, slide