Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2021, 07:37 PM   #1

Unhappy Electric Steps

I have a '98 Fleetwood MH with electric entry steps. If I have them out and not activating them for awhile, they don't work when I go to use them. If I go underneath and tap it with a hammer, they then work. Any ideas on how to rectify this problem?
GraBros is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2021, 08:16 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2 .

Adding the brand of the steps on your coach will help you get better answers .

When you tap the motor have a look for a decal that indicates the brand . Photo .

The Kwikee steps used the same motor as a Ford passenger vehicle power window (mid 80s Taurus ) and the there are many posts on the motor replacement .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0563 (640x480).jpg
Views:	11
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	335180  
Old 07-07-2021, 08:25 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Sounds like the motor and gears need a good lube job.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:13 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

I agree with Lt. Dan. The first step would be to lube all the moving joints. If that doesn't work, you probably will need to replace the motor assembly, which includes a gearbox. They're not that expensive. You should find a part number on the old assembly.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:37 PM   #5

If that’s the original gear box the grease in there is probably dry like paste. Pull it apart and give it a good cleaning and lube.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 01:00 PM   #6

Please disconnect any power to the unit prior to doing any service

Heres a link to the Kwikee service manual should help ya

https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/exteri...svc_manual.pdf

Good luck and let us know how you do,
greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:13 PM   #7

If it works when you tap the MOTOR it means you, most likely, have some corrosion on the commutator. If you're handy you can remove the motor, disassemble and polish the commutator -->> always being careful to fully stabilize/latch/support the steps so that they cannot swing down when the motor is removed and/or actuate and crush you when you reinstall.

Of course you can also simply buy a replacement and keep your hands much cleaner and get far more years of reliable service...

Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:15 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Exactly. What Domo said. The part cost Around $85. It should take you only 15-25 min to put on (25 w/no experience). You may also want to find some corresponding videos on youtube.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:56 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Or, if the hammer trick works, just get a longer handle hammer so you don't have to crawl underneath
wog099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 05:17 AM   #10

Switch the wires to reverse the steps

I am now a proud owner of a 1999 Fleetwood Bounder. It has a 2 step Kwikee electric step. The gear was frozen and beyond help along with the motor, both were replaced and works great (almost). The motor has a red wire and a yellow wire so it is simple to connect however, it works only one way. I have to switch the wires to get the step to go back in come out I have to switch the wires again. I am leaning toward changing the Control Unit next. What do y’all think?
Bobogoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:01 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobogoma View Post
I am now a proud owner of a 1999 Fleetwood Bounder. It has a 2 step Kwikee electric step. The gear was frozen and beyond help along with the motor, both were replaced and works great (almost). The motor has a red wire and a yellow wire so it is simple to connect however, it works only one way. I have to switch the wires to get the step to go back in come out I have to switch the wires again. I am leaning toward changing the Control Unit next. What do y’all think?
You probably should have started a new thread since this concerns the wiring and control unit. JMHO.
Anyway. Welcome to Irv2.com good to have ya.
Before you go spending $130 on a control unit check the Wire plug-in first (it should have 4 wires) if you don't see any issues with it and the steps are still giving you problems, I would change out the control unit. That's if you KNOW how to do it. If you have the know how by all means change out the control unit. At least it's $130 well spent and you won't need a new one for yrs to come.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:02 PM   #12

graybros I suggest you begin cleaning all connections, that sounds like a poor/missing ground connection, but mine corroded connection was the two wires in the magnetic switch on the entry way wall.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:03 PM   #13

In the YouTube video posted by Domo, you will see the 3 gear plugs that are flattened.
They are Dorman part number 74410. Available at most auto parts stores.

Richard

Tags
electric, electric steps, steps