Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2020, 08:29 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Electrical cords

Another question for a Newbie. You guys have been very helpful. What electrical cord accessories should I have . I assume a 30a to 50 a dog bone cord would be one? What about a 15a to 50a dog bone for when I just want to run lights,tv while in my driveway at home? Any advice would be appreciate. Thanks. John
jrj89134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2020, 08:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj89134 View Post
Another question for a Newbie. You guys have been very helpful. What electrical cord accessories should I have . I assume a 30a to 50 a dog bone cord would be one? What about a 15a to 50a dog bone for when I just want to run lights,tv while in my driveway at home? Any advice would be appreciate. Thanks. John
Yes, get the 15a.

Can also charge batteries while at home.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj89134 View Post
Personally, I have a 50-30 amp dog bone, a 30-15 amp adapter, a 30 amp extension cord, and a good quality 12 gauge 15 amp cord. When home, it's much easier to use the light weight, flexible 15 amp cord, making the connections at the MH rather than the outlet. The 30 amp cord was purchased for use at 30 amp pedestals, but I never used it as the pedestal is close enough to simply use the 50 amp cord/reel. I still carry it and use it when the run to a 15 amp house is far from the coach.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:42 AM   #4

I'm assuming that your rig is wired for 30 amp service. If so, then yes, the 30 amp female to 50 amp male can come in handy at times. I've used mine several times when I thought the campground 30 amp receptacle wasn't up to par.

As far as plugging into 15 or 20 amp service, the little 30/15 adapter is all you need. It definitely comes in handy at times to charge battery(ies) and/or run the frig. Just remember that you can't run everything inside the camper using this adapter.

On extension cords, I carry a 25 foot 30 amp extension cord. It has saved me a time or two but hasn't been as necessary as the two items above. Of course it's also always good to keep a 15 amp extension cord, or two, for incidentals.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:01 AM   #5

I have one of those little 5-15 to TT30 adapters and use it when visiting relatives so I can plug into a garage receptacle. I have a proper 30A TT30 receptacle at my own house.

I tried a marine 5-30R twist-lock to 5-15P straight blade adapter and light gauge extension cord, but both the cord and the adapter started heating a bit too much for my taste. That was with only the 3000W inverter/charger active, but it was drawing 15A (measured at the subpanel). That was when I first got it, and didn't realize how much juice that charger would draw.

Now I use my standard 10-gauge RV cord, with extension when almost anywhere but in an RV park. The little adapter doesn't seem to heat up, and it hasn't tripped a 15A breaker yet, so I'm happy.

I once had to use a 50A receptacle when the 30A in the same pedestal was just too sloppy loose, so having one of those in the arsenal is probably a good idea.

Mine looks like this, and has the little indicating light, which is nice. I can run the A/C on that once the battery is charged and the current draw drops off.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CAMCO-15-Am...apter/50165311
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adapter.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	285020  
Old 05-11-2020, 12:58 PM   #6

I have a 50 amp coach, though can usually survive on 30 amps ok, and carry the following:

50 amp to 30 amp dogbone adapter

30 amp to 15 amp dogbone adpter

and a 25ft 30 amp extension cord

I also have a 25 ft 50 amp extension cord, but they thing is so heavy and bulky I don't usually carry it in the coach, instead I use it when at my storage shed if I need to leave the coach parked outside for any reason.

The 30 amp extension is very handy to have as it is much lighter than the 50 amp cord, I often use it when stopped overnight while traveling when I will not be needing to run multiple high amp draw appliances, but still want power. It is also handy to have when at rallies, poorly designed campgrounds or other events with poorly located power post.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical