Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2021, 10:28 PM   #1

Electrical, help!

Just bought a 2002 Southwind Windsport 38 foot class A.

As soon as I plugged it into the gfci at my house it tripped. Finally figured out it was one circuit that was causing it. The problem is there is so many outlets on that circuit making it hard to diagnose. With the generator running everything is fine.

Plugged into a different outlet that doesnít have gfci and it didnít trip. But, those outlets that didnít work before are only putting out about 47V instead of the 120. With the generator running this outlets put out 120. Any ideas!?!

Thanks!
JeffAlaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2021, 10:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAlaska View Post

As soon as I plugged it into the gfci at my house it tripped. Finally figured out it was one circuit that was causing it. The problem is there is so many outlets on that circuit making it hard to diagnose. With the generator running everything is fine.

Plugged into a different outlet that doesnít have gfci and it didnít trip. But, those outlets that didnít work before are only putting out about 47V instead of the 120. With the generator running this outlets put out 120. Any ideas!?!

Thanks!
So, you have an adapter from your 30 or 50 amp cord down to 110, and that is what you are plugging into your home outlet? If that is the case, I would think you have a issue with one of your adapters.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:10 AM   #3

What breaker do you turn off to stop the GFCI from tripping ?

Do you have an inverter in that rig ?
They give low voltage readings on some volt meters.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAlaska View Post

Thanks!
Tell use what outlets they are. Every one that does not work.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:19 AM   #5

GFI outlets do not like RV's. That is because they sit in rubber tires and are not bonded (grounded). Remember GFI stands for ground fault interrupter. Stan

2021 Tiffin Allegro Bus 35cp, 2014 Cadillac SRX toad
36PFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:15 AM   #6

Quote:
If an appliance is working properly, all electricity that the appliance uses will flow from hot to neutral. A GFCI monitors the amount of current flowing from hot to neutral. If there is any imbalance, it trips the circuit. The GFCI senses a mismatch as small as 4 or 5 milliamps, and it can react as quickly as one-thirtieth of a second. That's a key specification, because at around 10 milliamps, human muscles "freeze" from electrical overload, meaning that you're unable to let go of an object that's causing a shock; just two seconds at that level of current can cause death [source: ELCOSH].
But that does not explain the 47V reading. My first question is, how was that measured? Did you measure between hot and neutral (the 2 vertical slots) or between hot and ground? You should measure both ways and also between neutral & ground aas well and what you read is important to know if we are to determine what is the cause. Do those same readings wit the generator supplying power and post what you get. I could make some guesses but prefer not to do so.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to nitpick but Windsport (Thor) and Southwind (Rev Group) are two different brands from two different manufacturers. It probably doesn't make any difference as far as your problem is concerned, but there may be wiring differences between the two manufacturers.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:08 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
GFI outlets do not like RV's. That is because they sit in rubber tires and are not bonded (grounded). Remember GFI stands for ground fault interrupter.

Not relevant at all. GFCI protection does not depend on the system or appliance being grounded at all. Or even having a ground wire in the circuit. It merely determines if the current flowing in the hot & neutral wires is identical.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:13 PM   #9

At this point, we are ASSUMING that you have a 50 amp coach/wiring, not 30 amp.

Please verify that first.

Next, starting at the house/CG outlet, check voltage and tell us where it goes from 120 VAC on that leg to 47 VAC. The issue will be "upstream" of where you find that.

Likely suspect is wiring in the ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) or in your shore power cord/adapter.

You KNOW it is not "after" the ATS, as all is well on generator.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36PFT View Post
GFI outlets do not like RV's. That is because they sit in rubber tires and are not bonded (grounded). Remember GFI stands for ground fault interrupter. Stan
The GFI outlet has absolutely nothing to do with the RV sitting on rubber tires. GFI's work very well in older 2 wire non-grounded systems and are in fact required by the NEC to be installed in remodeled 2 wire systems. The GFI reads hot to neutral. Not hot to ground. That is why the neutral in run thru the GFI breaker.
Old 04-29-2021, 03:07 AM   #11

36PFT. You still have not told us What outlets do not work! Check all of them inside and out.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:39 PM   #12

Sorry, itís not telling me when I get a response. 30 amp. So back to basics. Generator is running all outlets work. Plug into multiple different outlets and it always trips the gfci....unless I have the one breaker turned off. This breaker basically goes to some outlets from the front of the couch to back. While the genny is running I plugged my outlet tester in and all check out fine. Took down the breaker panel and all connections are good.

I guess it would make it easier to diagnose if there was a problem with the generator as well. Confused! Thanks for everybodyís input.
JeffAlaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 03:41 AM   #13

Always a fun problem. Sounds like a loose ground or nurtural before the transfer switch
Old 05-01-2021, 05:23 PM   #14

Is there a way to set your shore power to 15amp?
If it is higher something is trying to pull it down.

Some motorhomes can set shore power to different amperage settings such as our country coach.

If not try shutting off your higher amperage breakers on the motorhome panel.

You should only be trying to run lights and a fridge

How long of a run of I hope at least 10 gauge extension cord if your power cord does not reach the home outlet? If not you could be creating a huge voltage drop

Good luck and let us know what your find,
greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical