Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2016, 12:42 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Electrical Issues

I have a 2009 Holiday Rambler Scepter, I went on vacation to CA. On the way I blew out a fuse for the refrigerator, the camera monitor went bad, lost both satellite receivers and a few light bulbs. Tried calling HR support NG. I'M lost on what to do. Can anyone help???
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2016, 12:55 PM   #2

Fuse on refer? Could be control board died.
Camera monitor? Cheap junk replace it.
Sat receivers? Lost 120VAC.
Light bulbs? Replace them.
Nothing uncommon so far except its now a 7 year old RV what do you expect?
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #3

Camera monitor was brand new, cost $450.00. Satellite receives brand new $97.00 each. I forgot to mention eca board lost one a/c unit. $400.00 to replace. That's just parts cost. The question is why all of a sudden am I having all these electrical issues. The generator when running trips out and overcurrent light comes up. The satellite tech said my voltage is spiking on generator.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:25 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Might consider putting in a Progressive Surge Protector, some people wire them to protect AC from both shore power and generator.

Get a Kilawatt plug in meter to monitor the voltage & frequency of the generator. If you are getting wide swings on the voltage and Hz that might be your problem as a lot of newer equipment is much more sensitive then the older stuff.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:12 PM   #5

You are listing things that are on both the 12 VDC and 120 VAC systems. That would leave anyone troubleshooting the setup correctly wondering how much is age and how much is a problem.

I'd measure the battery voltage when run down so under a high charge state and when it should be fully charged so floating. IF they levels are in safe limits then it is unlikely you have a problem that blew the lights or damaged anything else using the 12 VDC system. I'll add to do the measurements again when starting and running the generator. Record your readings and post them and someone will comment.

Did replacing the fuse fix the refrigerator?

Brand new electronics are the most failure prone. These days you are lucky if they light up the camera screen for 10 seconds to see if it works. The first prolonged run was in your MH. I'd be trying for a warranty replacement. YMMV.

If the satellite receivers were new then the same issues as the camera.

Unless the satellite technician was carrying test equipment to check the power system he was guessing. I would bet on guessing because a scope is not cheap and usually not needed for the rest of his job. That said, the surge protector is not a bad idea. Ditto the Killawatt. Data always helps. Good luck, get some data and try to run the new electronics for a while before your next trip.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:02 PM   #6

Thank You all for your information. I will try your ideas and keep you posted. Replacing the fuse did resolve the refer problem
Old 11-01-2016, 06:11 PM   #7
YC1

First, welcome to the forum.

I always tell my friends considering an RV that you have to be handy with tools or a check book or both. These things are homes traveling along the San Andreas fault line. Things fail.

If you have an rv and do not find something that needs tightened or repaired during or after a trip then you probably missed it.

These things are in themselves a hobby for many of us. A blown fuse is not uncommon. Failing items such as the monitor is normal. Two satellite receivers failing is very strange and I would be interested in those issues.

So enjoy the fun and expect to repair plenty of things.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:19 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

High voltage form the genset will aslo cause the 12v converter to produce high DC voltage, so that could affect both electrical systems. First thing is to get a meter on that genset to see what it is doing.

An inexpensive digital display or a cheap VOM from Harbor Freight is all you need. Or invest in a Kill-O-Watt for $20 and be able to check all the power parameters (voltage, frequency, wattage).
https://www.amazon.com/80-300V-Volta.../dp/B00CDJRLKI
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55263-1.../dp/B000SQWVO4
https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Elec...DBU/ref=sr_1_1
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:54 AM   #9

Big Thanks

Thanks to all for the information you guys gave me. I used the links and purchased the tool to check my system. I hope this works.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Fuse on refer? Could be control board died.
Camera monitor? Cheap junk replace it.
Sat receivers? Lost 120VAC.
Light bulbs? Replace them.
Nothing uncommon so far except its now a 7 year old RV what do you expect?
No, the OP has bigger problems. Since it's 12 volt lighting and 120 volt appliances, it sounds like the genset, or possibly inverter, is putting out the wrong voltage.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:23 AM   #11

FWIW - if he has multi stage charging on his Convertor or an Inverter/Converter combination it is internally regulated so changes in the line voltage are compensated for. With a non regulated Converter the battery acts as a large capacitor soaking up any spikes in the converter output that make it through the big choke of the transformer. The point is line voltage problems don't just pass through. That said, the automotive environment was known to be noisy when I was building things for it so we compensated in the designs to handle the noise that made it in. I really doubt things have gotten any cleaner with all the new devices.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:49 PM   #12

Electrical

If I purchased a new MH I should get a few good years of trouble free traveling correct? I'm afraid of taking a long trip with this MH.
Old 11-04-2016, 07:29 PM   #13

It is hard to predict things, especially the future.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplec View Post
If I purchased a new MH I should get a few good years of trouble free traveling correct? I'm afraid of taking a long trip with this MH.
Given all the new stuff combined with the age of the unit I am a bit surprised but not shocked at all of the failures. Electronics mostly fail when new or very old (in their terms). I would not trust a new one as much as one that has been around for a year or 3. Take yours on some local trips where it's not a panic if something happens. You could even driveway camp if you store at home. I expect things will either settle down or something obvious will pop up. Most likely they will settle down.

Tags
electrical, holiday rambler