Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2016, 06:54 PM   #1

Electrical Issues

Hello everyone,
We just returned from a weekend trip and a few issues are causing me fits.

First problem is I lost power to the outlets on the drivers side including the master bathroom GFI and the fireplace. I checked the breakers under the bed and on the outside of the RV and all are on.

The second problem is my generator. Prior to leaving the RV, I turn the generator to "auto", just in case we loose power the generator will turn on and keep the ac's running for our dogs. Well, once I hit "enter" to set the auto on, the generator briefly attempted to start. Why? This never happened prior and I did not loose power for the attempted start. Again, the gen did not start. The gen did fire up for our trip home today and ran flawlessly.

The more I think of it, (almost positive) the gen issue is the cause of the lack of power on the drivers side as I had power prior to the gen attempting to start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #2

Did you check your bathroom GFI to see if it had tripped and shut down itself and the outlets down line?
Old 11-07-2016, 10:43 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As ByeTheWay said...check and reset all your GFI outlets.

It's a good idea to find every GFI outlet in your coach for future reference...It seems they have a way of kicking off at the darkest hours.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:57 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep what they said, sounds like the kitchen, or another one, GFI is tripped. Don't trust the idiot button, trip it then reset it.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:00 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply's and yes the first thing I tried was the GFI'S. What I find interesting is the master bathroom GFI is a termination outlet meaning nothing is connected to it.

I did not look at the wires in the guest bath GFI as that one is working.

Winnebago tried to help and will send me the wiring diagrams to aid in troubling shooting.

I again tried to set the gen to auto start and once again it attempted to start and went back to manual mode. Odd huh?
Old 11-09-2016, 08:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Check the breakers on the inverter/converter. Usually there are two in the 20 amp range, one for each side of the RV. This is a frequent post. The reason is most of the time an overload, no Safty problem, just too many things on at the same time.

LEN
Old 11-09-2016, 08:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Check the breakers on the inverter/converter. Usually there are two in the 20 amp range, one for each side of the RV. This is a frequent post. The reason is most of the time an overload, no Safty problem, just too many things on at the same time.

LEN
Len,
Where are the breakers you are referring too? I have breakers each side of the bed and outside on the drivers side front and rear area. Do you know of any others?

Tags
electrical