Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2020, 08:31 AM   #1

Electrical mystery

I have a 2003 monaco executive all electric. Life line agm batteries are about 3 years old. I recently experienced for no apparent reason a partial electrical outage that I cannot figure out. Functions like power to the slides, power shades and some lights in the driver area just stop working. I have checked the fuses. batteries show 100% charged. Does this while on shore power, gen set or inverters on or off. It has done this recently about a month ago then corrected itself. This has never happened prior to the first time a month ago. Any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks
Fman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2020, 08:42 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Any chance the key was left on? Sounds like ignition lock out. Maybe check that relay.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:00 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Slides are normally direct-wired to the batteries. On a 2003 that is typically the house batteries (newer one use chassis batteries) but there may be an interlock with Park brake or ignition switch. Lighting and shades, though, would not be interlocked for any reason I can think of.

Since it fixed itself, the most likley explanation is a loose wire connection somewhere, probably at a junction box since multiple systems are involved. You will just have to start tracing wires. The power path for the slide system (more than one motor, right?) might be the easiest to trace back toward the 12v power source.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:00 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a "Salesman" or disconnect switch it may be failing. There is normally a switch at the front door that controls this. If it fails completely you will loose 12volt house power. It can be bypassed.

Another thing to check it the battery disconnect switch also, they can fail. I had my chassis battery disconnect fail.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #5

Not sure if my 02 Exec is like yours but mine was a sticky solenoid/relay, they are located rear engine compartment passenger side in black electric panel, they look like early ford start solenoid, Next time it happens turn ignition key on and off a couple of times, it may unstick relay.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:13 PM   #6

Electrical mystery solved

Outbound. I checked that box in the engine compartment passenger side. I tapped on the two parts that looked like a solenoid and the power was restored. Was it necessary to replace that part? I’m assuming since it is sticking it needs to be replaced?
Fman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:42 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Unless you want to continue to have to 'tap' on that part, it's best to replace electrical parts that are failing.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:13 PM   #8

Yes replace them, you can buy them at Napa auto parts, 80 amp continuous duty. Glad it worked out.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:13 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes replace both of them. I do the same with tail light bulbs when 1 goes out the all get changed.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical