Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #1

Electrical Outlets

Have 4 outlets in coach that aren't working. 2 in lounge, two in galley, one of which is GF. Worked on this for 3 days. Had a Camping Connection service call & said, looked like one might have previously gotten wet. No other reason for issue. I previously replaced GF, but re-set button wouldn't work, prior to replacing. Service call put old GF back, charged me $169.00, and 4 days later, back to square one. 4 outlets, not working. GF pops, but CB's aren't affected. Camping connection suggested there might be a small hole on the roof somewhere where rain is getting in. First time w/issue hadn't rained for quite a long time.
Bubalu06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You have a small leakage that is causing the GFI to trip. Trust me, they don't lie. Especially after you replaced it with a new one and it did the same thing. Sometimes they do blow. I had to replace one of my GFI circuit breakers as it would not work anymore.

You may have to hire an electrician to trace down to find the small leakage causing the GFI to trip.

It doesn't appear that Camping Connection would know want to do but a professional electrician should know.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #3

Bubalu:

If the 4 outlets you mention consist of 1 GFCI feeding 3 other standard outlets (Series Wiring), try this.
Disconnect the wires attached to the "LOAD" terminals of the GFCI. If you still have a trip condition, your CFCI is bad.

If the GFCI does not trip with the wires disconnected, you have a current leak somewhere "downstream" of the GFCI. If you disconnect one outlet at a time until the GFCI doesn't trip, you can isolate the problem outlet or wire run.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #4

I lost power to the GFI circuit and the others on that circuit. The Alpine group on this site has done a nice job of collecting and indexing a lot of the build data on our coaches, including electrical schematics. I was able to figure out the circuit, but due to routing issues, not the exact cause. I ended up disconnecting that circuit from the breaker and re-routed new wire from the breaker to the GFI outlet.

Good luck.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Bubalu:

If the 4 outlets you mention consist of 1 GFCI feeding 3 other standard outlets (Series Wiring), try this.
Disconnect the wires attached to the "LOAD" terminals of the GFCI. If you still have a trip condition, your CFCI is bad.

If the GFCI does not trip with the wires disconnected, you have a current leak somewhere "downstream" of the GFCI. If you disconnect one outlet at a time until the GFCI doesn't trip, you can isolate the problem outlet or wire run.
Your are correct in your troubleshooting technique. That is the way to eliminate either a bad outlet or wire run between each outlet. Probably an errant staple finally met its mark..
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does your patio outlet work?

You tell me the GFCI trips soon as you reset it... Now since you mentioned only one of the galley outlets is GFCI I'm guessing the other is down-chain from it, as are the two in the lounge and the patio outlet.

Often the seal on the patio outlet is not all that well sealed, rain gets in and causes exactly what is happening to you now.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You said the GFCI won't reset and that's a different condition than it tripping again immediately after a reset. The GFCI won't reset if there is no 120v power to the unit and that means the problem is further upstream.

But if it is tripping immediately every time you reset, then the problem is downstream from the GFCI outlet.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical