Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #1

Exclamation electrical problem

I have a 2007 Coachmen Mirada. The last couple of times I had been out the lights would go dim and it sounded like the power was going down. I just put in 2 new batteries. Even after that the monitoring panel only showed fair to good. This week end I was out and by Saturday night the lights were on but dim. This morning I had to start the generator to get electric and then had to start he engine to get the slide outs in. I am wondering if it is the inverter? I read in Motorhome magazine one person replaced the battery and it was their invertor would anyone have a suggestion. The new batteries are not holding a charge.
Thank you; JOhn Grigsby
John Grigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #2

John, Sounds like your batteries are not getting charged properly but we'll need more info. In the meantime...if you have a VOLTMETER With your genny on...put the voltmeter on the terminals of each battery and take a reading. You should see something ABOVE 14V if your charger is working. If you get something in the 12V range or less...then your charging system is not working. It could be cables OR the charging section of your inverter or converter.
If you ARE seeing over 14V then my guess would be that you are not nearly charging your batteries with enough amps or long enough to fully charge them to 100% which MUST be done.
Suggest you also try this same experiment with the genny off and the engine on to see if you are getting a charge from your alternator.
To be of further help, it would be good to know what make model inverter/charge you have..what make model batteries you just installed as well. I assume both are coacch batteries rather than chassis/start battery.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
New house batteries are not always fully charged when purchased.

Your cable connections may be loose or corroded.

Either could result in weak voltage result.

Camaraderie gave you good trouble shooting steps.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical