Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #15

Good luck with it and hopefully a night owl may read this and be able to chime in before morning. I will be up and may have an idea or two before morning.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2017, 10:30 PM   #16

Here is the owners manual for the coach.

http://www.holidayrambler.com/resour...Vacationer.pdf

The furnace starts about pg 132. The common thread between their trouble shooting for both is coach battery voltage.

Here is a thread with somebody who has the wiring diagrams to a coach close to yours.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/seeki...se-283527.html

There also may be a reset button on your inverter, and / or an inline fuse going to the inverter..

Just noticed.. You said the EMS panel goes dark. Is this like a Progressive EMS system? If so, I am not familiar with one being between the generator and the automatic transfer switch as it would be with a 50 amp connection. If it is, I am getting ready to learn sumthin new.

More later as my mind wanders and I gotta change computers..
Old 09-03-2017, 05:01 AM   #17

hope that you have awoken this AM to clearer thoughts and a reduced level of frustration and the ability to seperate the chaff from the crap. If not, don't be afraid to ask somebody there for some first hand help.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:35 AM   #18

Good morning.

The coffee is good this morning.

Thanks for the online manual but I do have the hard copy and have been reading... and reading it.

It didn't get too cold, we snuggled up to keep warm.

I'll start over again and maybe I will find the little thing to make the power connection. I'm pretty sure it is operator error.

I can fire up the generator in an hour and a half and see if power gets restored with that.

The way I figure it is I have enough time for a good hot breakfast of eggs, bacon and home fried potatoes.
WNYtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:38 AM   #19

Here's the panel I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170902_221026.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	175352  
Old 09-03-2017, 06:15 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
The panel that you show is an AC panel. Apparently it all works well when you run the generator...and you are boondocking, which to me means that you have no shore power connection. Apparently you have an inverter, but I do not know if that inverter feeds your main AC system or just powers some outlets, or perhaps does this on "pass through?"

From that I would not expect your AC panel to light up at all when there is no AC! No generator...no shore power...no AC! Inverter aside.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:07 AM   #21

Yay!

I just fired up the generator and we now have complete power.

This panel has always shown amps used even with the generator or shore power turned off.

I am sure we will figure out what we did wrong.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:20 PM   #22

Have you found a solution yet? Other than the salesman switch or a breaker somewhere, I'm at a loss, but still thinking about it. The only aside of it being limited to those two items it seems that it would be a specific failure point as opposed to a wide spread failure that what I am thinking would cause.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:54 PM   #23

We had a similar problem. Between reading this chain of comments and reading our GEN manual, discovered the on/off switch on the GEN itself (not the remote toggle switch) tripped OFF even though the gen itself was running! Finally have AC and elec switch for hot water heater and a GFCI in the bathroom all working now. They ALL shut down together this AM and I think it was because the added load of elec water heater in this heat may have coincided with the AC ramping up in the auto setting. Never had this issue before, but know now it's a safety feature. Otherwise this GEN is robust and well maintained, including Oman's 1000-hr maintenance which is essentially a tear-down and thorough servicing.
mccaulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:59 PM   #24

Saved a svc call, but over the holiday weekend and no one open, we had no choice but to see online questions and refer to the GEN book. Never would have thought the issue was on the GEN itself, considering IT never shut down.

TG for these online forums!
mccaulam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:51 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Have you found a solution yet? Other than the salesman switch or a breaker somewhere, I'm at a loss, but still thinking about it. The only aside of it being limited to those two items it seems that it would be a specific failure point as opposed to a wide spread failure that what I am thinking would cause.
I'm sorry to be so late with my follow up.

I'm 100% sure it was operator error..... again. This was only our second trip.

We purchased our motorhome for retirement which is about a year or two away with the intention of learning everything we could. I just didn't realize how much there is to learn.

I think the main problem was starting the generator while the furnace and water heater were running. We failed to shut them down now first and there must be some sort of safety switch on them to keep from surging power.

Thanks for helping me..... I owe you a beer or two.

Tags
electric, electrical