Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #1

Electrical problems, bad ground?

I'm having electrical problems; when washing MH sometimes feel a tingle shock when touching it. It also trips ground fault breaker. How and where do I check for a bad ground? 2006 Monaco sig , thanks
Andrewmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #2

I would think where you are hooked up is a bad connection. How do you have it hooked to shore power?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #3

I agree, please provide more information, are you on 120 VAC shore power? where? same source every time? using extension cord? Which GFCI is tripping out? We experienced that once ( well,our daughter did when she stepped out of the MH with bare feet) at a private RV park. I did some testing and discovered the RV park had faulty circuits at multiple power pedestals. The MH aluminum skin measured 90 VAC to earth!! When I proved it to the park manager she immediately phoned the owner, who arrived in under 30 minutes, along with an electrician in his work van.
Our daughter was OK, just very scared.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ARe you washing it at home ? Maybe plugged into a 120vac receptacle through a regular extension cord. If so check for a broken ground on the extension cord and or a bad ground at the electric outlet. I had the ground prong on my extension cord break when I had it plugged in at my house once. Gave the same symptoms you are talking about. Your problem is almost guaranteed to be a bad ground coming into the unit somewhere.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewmason View Post

I'm having electrical problems; when washing MH sometimes feel a tingle shock when touching it. It also trips ground fault breaker. How and where do I check for a bad ground? 2006 Monaco sig , thanks
You have a bad ground connection!

Trace it down before someone gets whacked enough to stop their heart.

It can be anywhere from the power supply company to some where inside the coach.

It could be as simple as a loose connection on the ground wire.

If you feel unqualified to tackle the job, then hire a professional to find the problem.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Plug tester

Any hardware store will have plug testers for about $5. No RV toolbox is complete without one.

I had weird electrical problems with a fifth wheel and traced it down to the plug in my garage being mis-wired. Hot & neutral were swapped.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:57 AM   #7

I was washing it at home, I have used 2 different cords and 2 different receptacles , all on ground fault , they trip instantly. Bought new heavy duty cord same thing at different location. How many grounds does a MH have and where are they ? Thanks
Old 10-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #8

Quote:
I was washing it at home, I have used 2 different cords and 2 different receptacles , all on ground fault , they trip instantly. Bought new heavy duty cord same thing at different location. How many grounds does a MH have and where are they ? Thanks
Quote and reply with answers.

What cords? 50A or 30A or 15A or 20A?
What is the MH? 50A or 30A
Are you reducing down to a house hold 15A plug?

An RV has one ground.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Since my last post, one thing that has bothered me is the fact about feeling a tingle even though the power cord was plugged into a GFI and it kept tripping. That part doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe you can explain.

However, based on the additional information you have supplied, the problem is definitely within your RV.

Start with your shore power cord and make sure all of your connections on the plug and the coach end are secure with no damage to the wires strands.

Next, go to the transfer switch and check the inside doing the same.

Your 120 VAC sub-panels would be next to see if ALL connections are tight, secured and in good shape with no damage or discoloration.

Once the sub-panels have been checked, then proceed to each 120 VAC outlet making sure each has been checked with an outlet tester that Muddypaws suggested.

Also check out the inverter making sure that the ground is well secured.

Once you have done all of that, report back as to your findings.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Andrewmason,
Every time I have had this situation, the problem was the shore power, not the coach. Start with getting the shore power checked out.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Washing coach and outside outlet may not mix, take a read of this link may help in resolving your problem.
More Tech information.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #12

When I felt the tingle shock it was not plugged into ground fault receptacle. I think I have found a short in my 30 amp to 110 cord, not sure yet because I don't have a ground fault receptacle available right now. Will post back later, thanks
Old 10-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #13

You might want to check your coach plug.... We pulled into a campsite and I plugged in the 50 amp plug. When I touched the coach, I got shocked.

After checking the plug, we found it was not properly grounded and we had to replace it. Problem solved.
Tony
2003 Windsor PST
chastainat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Richard was correct and I noticed you qualified your statement. It is impossible to get a shock off of a ground fault interrupter unless you have some serious house wiring problems. In the early days when ground fault interrupter circuits were first being sold. I know of someone that was at a demonstration where the salesman took a regular metal case drill plugged it into the GFI and then jumped into a swimming pool with the drill running. Too extreme for my taste but it illustrates the point.

I do not think you have a short in your cord. I think you have a broken ground. You said something about two different cords and had the same symptoms. At this point you need an ohm meter and someone that knows how to use it. If you do good if not get someone that does to help you. take your entire cluge that you use to power the motor home with you want the cables adapter etc that plugs into your house on one end and your motor home on the other. Plug them together but not into the house or motor home. take the ground wire of the plug that plugs into the house. Put the ohm meter lead on that ground wire. put the other ohmmeter lead in the ground pin of the cord where the MH plugs in. look for low to zero ohms. ( If you do not know which one is the ground on the MH check all of them to see if you get low to zero) if you do not find the zero reading on the motorhome end then take one of the adapters off and make the same check. At some point you will find the open ground. If you check the cable and all of the adapters and you have a good ground. then take the motor home cable and check the ground on it to the chassis of the motor home. This might be time consuming but It should find your problem for you. I would not worry about checking it with a ground fault interrupter because it is going to shut the power off immediately.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote