Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #15

Ok friends, I removed the 12volt fuse panel to gain access to the automatic transfer switch and it is clean with no indication of burns or overheating conditions. It looks like I will need to investigate the voltage regulator on the generator itself. Now that my electrical is working well with the installation of a new circuit breaker, I am concerned about starting the generator and putting myself back to square one. Is there a way to check voltage and amp at the generator without involving the rest of the motor home circuits?
homerbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2019, 12:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerbw View Post
I use the generator while traveling to keep it exercised and provide power to misc. items such as fans, phone charger, microwave, fridge, charging gps, ect. obviously I don't have to run it for those things but why not since it is available.
There are several good reasons to not run a generator for extended period with a very light load.

For my 6500 watt Onan, one reason is that it will shorten the life of voltage regulator.

The alternator on the engine is better suited for small loads. I have found that driving a hundred miles will fully charge the batteries.

As far as disconnecting the installed generator for testing I do not know of an easy way on both the Onan models in two MH that I have owned. It may be different for your setup.

Most likely you have fixed the problem and your generator is okay.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post

For my 6500 watt Onan, one reason is that it will shorten the life of voltage regulator.

What about other model generators ?

Is this a general statement for all generators or Is this a known issue with your generator model, or is it just your generator ?

Many of us run our generators to cool the MH while underway. The A/C cycles on and off, leaving it lightly loaded maybe 1/2 the time.
Haven't read a rash of posts about failed voltage regulators on this site.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerbw View Post
Is there a way to check voltage and amp at the generator without involving the rest of the motor home circuits?

Just shut off the Breakers in the panel and measure your voltages on the panel Buss Bar. the only thing left in the system would be the transfer switch and if you can easily access it I would also check the voltages from the generator feed line for proper voltage there.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:25 PM   #19

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
What about other model generators ?

Is this a general statement for all generators or Is this a known issue with your generator model, or is it just your generator ?

Many of us run our generators to cool the MH while underway. The A/C cycles on and off, leaving it lightly loaded maybe 1/2 the time.
Haven't read a rash of posts about failed voltage regulators on this site.
I would think that my comment about voltage regulators would only apply to solid state devices where over heating is an issue. I did write a post about my experience. I put the VR in an ice bath and it worked better as part of trouble shooting.

I only run the generator going down the road for the roof A/C and it never gets cool enough to cycle. If I am stopped and do not have the sun coming through the windows, it cools down and cycles.

I would say that 90% of the time generator load is less 20%. Current VR has about 150 yours on it and doing fine.
Old 12-17-2019, 05:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
I would think that my comment about voltage regulators would only apply to solid state devices where over heating is an issue. I did write a post about my experience. I put the VR in an ice bath and it worked better as part of trouble shooting.

I only run the generator going down the road for the roof A/C and it never gets cool enough to cycle. If I am stopped and do not have the sun coming through the windows, it cools down and cycles.

I would say that 90% of the time generator load is less 20%. Current VR has about 150 yours on it and doing fine.
So your statement about voltage regulators failing due to running them at low output, is actually limited to your one failed regulator.

Not a very big data base for such a broad statement.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:34 AM   #21

Thank you Sundancer268, excellent suggestions. I also evaluated the slip rings and one has black stripes running down it and the other is the color of silver. If they are not clean like a new penny, this can overheat the voltage regulator and even spike the voltage output. Going to clean them before testing voltage and report my findings afterwards.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Not a very big data base for such a broad statement.
Not trying win a debate just trying to help someone.

Since there is an after market for Onan solid state control devices along with trouble shooting guides which I have read, I would say my statement is not overly broad.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:19 PM   #23

FYI, I'd guess that the chatter you heard may have be arcing in the electrical panel where you replaced the breaker. Check the buss bar for arcing or carbon residue. If you read 110-120VAC at the buss bar and outlets leave the voltage regulator alone. If you're not seeing any error codes from the generator control panel lights, leave the generator alone. My genset output failed while running the AC while parked. I replaced the 30-amp breaker but still no joy. Attached leads to the breaker contact and verified proper AC voltage. Followed the braided 30-amp cable to a four-inch electrical junction box where the braided cable and solid wire came together. Wire nuts and wires had melted inside the electrical box. Cut wires back and made fresh connections to regain fully functional output from genset to power panel & outlets.
2014FR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:41 AM   #24

Thank you for your input 2014FR3. I did look at the bus bar and all surrounding wires but nothing seemed out of place or burned. That doesn't mean I shouldn't dig deeper so will continue my investigation. The input from everyone has been great and causes me to learn more each time I check something.

Tags
electric, electrical