Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2021, 08:39 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Electrical Question

Hello; Hopefully I can explain this properly -
I have a 2021 Vision, Gas engine.
The engine cover in between the two front seats has an electrical outlet, and a USB outlet.
If I plug a AC/DC converter - AC/DC power supply adapter transformer which will allow me to plug in my GPS with a cigarette lighter powered end, it will not work. BUT if I push in the switch to turn on the inverter it works.??
So one: did I buy the wrong cigarette lighter converter to work with my GPS so I can plug it into an electrical outlet??
And two: Is there any problem running the inverter while I have the RV running / driving so I can use the GPS??
If it is unwise to run the inverter while driving then what do I buy to convert a cigarette lighter end for my GPS and be able the plug it into an electrical outlet??
Thanks for your help .. Paul
pdcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2021, 08:48 AM   #2

No problem with running an inverter when driving.

I'm not sure I understand about your GPS with AC/DC conversion as I thought they were made to run only on DC.
Wbago97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:03 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Well I needed something to plug my GPS which has a cigarette lighter end ( which there are not any in the coach ) into an electrical socket - and that's the only thing I could find to adapt to it.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:02 AM   #4

Pictures might help. I don't see why the GPS wouldn't run when directly plugged in the cigarette lighter. Sometimes there is a fuse inside the plug.
Wbago97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 11:25 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
No I don't have a cigarette lighter receptacle in the coach .. only normal electrical outlets or USB outlets ..
Old 04-03-2021, 11:33 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It sounds like you need a cigarette lighter plug, female side, to use for the power source to power the GPS. Go to an auto parts store and buy a female side of a cigarette lighter and then wire that to the DC system in the coach. Position it somewhere out of sight like under the dash.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 01:19 PM   #7

The 120V-ac outlets do not have power unless you are plugged into shore power, have the onboard generator running, or operating the inverter. Your chassis engine only provides 12-dc power so you need some other source to get power from your house type of outlets.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 03:17 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks SKP Kirk - best explanation yet, appreciate it. I'll run the inverter from now on.
Old 04-03-2021, 03:23 PM   #9

I really didn't understand your writeup until I read what SP-Kirk posted.....
-You dont have a 12V accessory ("cigarette lighter") outlet, only 120V AC and USB.
- You want to power your 12V GPS, which has a male 12V accessory plug, while driving.

Unless you have an inverter, the 120V AC will be dead while disconnected from shore power.

It shouldn't be difficult to add a 12V accessory outlet somewhere on the dash. You might have a spare accessory fuse under there to run it from. If not, you can run an inline fuse. Just need to find a "hot in run" lug or fuse and a suitable ground.
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:05 PM   #10

With the proper cable, you should be able to run your GPS off the USB port.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:21 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks everyone, got it figured out now - appreciate the help ..
Old 04-04-2021, 08:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcruiser View Post
Thanks everyone, got it figured out now - appreciate the help ..
I realize you have it solved, but for the record, check inside the ash tray/coin tray/cup holder drawer, or whatever pulls out (if anything). My Sprinter has a port in that tray. It also has one under the tray, down low where I can’t see it unless I look, but you may have one hidden somewhere.

There’s also a 12V power port in the storage trays on the top of the dash, on the driver’s side. Not somewhere I’d think to look. I plug my phone charger into that one with the little USB power adapter and I leave the other one under the cup holder for DW’s phone or iPad.

I just have a hard time understanding a manufacturer who doesn’t put a 12V power port in the driver’s area somewhere.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:05 AM   #13

Sounds like you need one of these.
https://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Lig...a-573052020173

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:32 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Glad you have it worked out. Any 120VAC receptacle would need to be on the inverter circuit to operate off your batteries.

Not sure of your layout, but on some rigs the dash USB feeds an input into the dash entertainment system and might not provide power.

Just when I think I am figuring stuff out, a curve ball comes my way. Then the factory is my next call.

cheers.
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical