Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2019, 02:46 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
The plot thickens!! Spent 1 1/2 hrs on the phone with tech support at Parallax. We went thru the Transfer switch, proved to be working correctly. Went through the converter, proved to be working correctly. Jumped the battery disconnect switch and the disconnect relay, both working.
I am getting 110 V power thru shore power but have no light. Outlets seem to be the only thing working and the microwave. Getting power through the generator side of the transfer switch but does not get to the coach. Ie: 110 V on the outlet side of the transfer switch. I am at a loss!!!!
golfman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2019, 03:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfman8 View Post
The plot thickens!! Spent 1 1/2 hrs on the phone with tech support at Parallax. We went thru the Transfer switch, proved to be working correctly. Went through the converter, proved to be working correctly. Jumped the battery disconnect switch and the disconnect relay, both working.
Ok good that's all working.

Here's where you confuse me though...again.
I am getting 110 V power thru shore power but have no light.
You should be able to turn OFF your generator, unplug from shore power and your lights should work OFF YOUR BATTERIES. YOUR SHORE POWER OR GENERATOR DOESN'T CONTROL YOUR LIGHTS. Your 12V system controls your lights

Here's where you confuse me even again.
Outlets seem to be the only thing working and the microwave.
Getting power through the generator side of the transfer switch
OK, that's good. So you ARE getting 110V power to the inside of the coach. As I suspected in the beginning you don't have a generator or a 110V problem. But then you turn right around and say...
but does not get to the coach. Ie: 110 V on the outlet side of the transfer switch. I am at a loss!!!!
Of course it's getting to the coach. The outlets and microwave are working.

I don't know if it's the words in your explanation you're using, or I'm not understanding your issue thoroughly or what, but I'm at a loss in understanding your dilemma.

Back in batt bay....all you proved with the jumper is that the relay is good. But you still don't have power at the battery disconnect switch. That's what you said earlier. So I still think your problem is in the batt bay somewhere or at the very lest you need to go through all the items in the batt bay, connections and all and at lest eliminate those possibilities, because the batt bay is the heart of your 12V system and that's what controls your lights. Oh and your radio which also isn't working. It's all 12V.

That's all I have to offer you on this. You're going to need somebody way smarter with electrical than me. Sorry!

Calling twinboat, come in twinboat.....
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:21 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
I think you are correct-again!! What I meant to say is that the generator bus bar is crossing just fine on the coach did of the transfer switch. I now need to find the main 12v ground for the chassis side. That is about all I or anyone else can come up with. I was hoping Cacique would read this as I know he has a 382DS also.
Thanks so much for your help and suggestions. It lets me know that there are still good people out there. & Happy New Year
Old 01-02-2019, 05:42 PM   #18

Quote:
I think you are correct-again!! What I meant to say is that the generator bus bar is crossing just fine on the coach did of the transfer switch. I now need to find the main 12v ground for the chassis side. That is about all I or anyone else can come up with. I was hoping Cacique would read this as I know he has a 382DS also.
Thanks so much for your help and suggestions. It lets me know that there are still good people out there. & Happy New Year
That 12v ground for the chassis side should be right there in the batt bay. Find your negative cable from your batt's and follow it to your chassis. It shouldn't be a very short cable and you should be able to see it right there in the batt bay. But don't forget...don't just check that. Check one thing at a time and see if that fixes the light problem. If not then proceed to the next thing. Water levels in the bat's. Cable connections on the batteries. The main big fuse right there in the batt bay too. Corrosion on terminals. Take your time and methodically go through each thing and try to find out why you are NOT getting power to your battery disconnect switch.

I'm chomping at the bit to see how this turns out so I can celebrate with you when you find the fix.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:28 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
That 12v ground for the chassis side should be right there in the batt bay. Find your negative cable from your batt's and follow it to your chassis. It shouldn't be a very short cable and you should be able to see it right there in the batt bay. But don't forget...don't just check that. Check one thing at a time and see if that fixes the light problem. If not then proceed to the next thing. Water levels in the bat's. Cable connections on the batteries. The main big fuse right there in the batt bay too. Corrosion on terminals. Take your time and methodically go through each thing and try to find out why you are NOT getting power to your battery disconnect switch.

I'm chomping at the bit to see how this turns out so I can celebrate with you when you find the fix.

Would this also be the reason that I am not getting any readings on my EMS control panel?
Old 01-02-2019, 11:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Would this also be the reason that I am not getting any readings on my EMS control panel?
No I don't think so, but not absolutely sure. But if I were you, I'd concentrate on your 12V system right now.

FYI...I'm by no means an electrical expert. But i have learned a few things in the past couple of years and I'm just passing along what I've learned. But to me it sounds like that you don't have a real good grasp on how your different electrical systems work and how they may interact and affect different things. I was at this point too a couple of years ago so that's where I'm coming from and also why I really want to see how you resolve this—not only for your sake—but it will another lesson I learn if and when this ever happens to us.

I'm really hoping twinboat sees this post because I feel pretty confident he'll have a lot of wisdom to pass along. I'm shocked he hasn't chimed in yet. He must be traveling right now or with family for the holidays.

Still monitoring...
Old 01-03-2019, 02:13 AM   #21
YC1

The transfer switch may need 12 volts to work, the EMS panel needs 12 volts to work.

Your radio needs 12 volts to work, your lights need 12 volts to work.

You need to post some pictures of your battery compartment because something has opened up causing the 12 volt path to not be there.

There are often large fuses protecting the batteries. Just because you have 12.5 volts across the batteries does not mean the 12 volt will flow to the proper places.

I don't suspect a solenoid/relay because it would seem odd to have to have a relay operate to get 12 volts to the EMS panel or perhaps the transfer panel.

A simple loose cable on the battery bank could cause the issue. Those connections can be misleading. A tiny bit of corrosion or loose connector can cause tons of grief.

IF you did any maintenance on anything and haven't mentioned it that could be an issue too.

Jumping the battery banks together won't help if the path from the coach batteries is compromised by an open fuse or even a manual switch. There are often large manual witches in the battery areas and they can fail. I have replaced one of mine.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:02 AM   #22

I'm no electrical expert, particularly for this style of coach. It sure sounds like some kind of manual/automatic inline fuse or relay that's gone bad or tripped. Or a ground wire has become loose.

I sure wish you the best, nonetheless.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:22 AM   #23

Im sure i could fix it if i were there but troubleshooting based on description is hard if your not very familiar with the specific coach as it seems theyre all wired differently even same model and year can vary it seems.

If i was there id start at battery with my meter and check for 12v at each component until its lost and as others have mentioned ground is just as important, id use ohm meter from the negative terminal to chasis metal and it should read same as shorting the meter leads. If not there is a bad connection. Even 25 ohm resistance on ground can create big problems. Ive seen factory use scotch locks connectors or butt splices that all will corrode over time so be on lookout for those. I always solder and tape or solder and heat shrink then its good for very long time.

My tail lights were not bright and intermittent strange things happening like dim left turn when hit brakes and was a bad ground somewhere i grounded the factory ground lead to frame and all good so dont ignore ground because its 1/2 of the circuit.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:08 AM   #24

I agree with all the suggestions to check everything in battery bay. The key is in your first post- a “sudden” disconnect of the radio while driving. Your 12v house system went out. What’s the most likely cause of a sudden break in the circuit while driving? I’d argue a ground came loose or corrosion + loose connection. "When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses not zebras"
Kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:23 AM   #25

It sounds like a battery ground issue to me.
If you approach electrical issues keeping in mind electrical power is a circle it may help you. With the 12V. positive terminal on the chassis battery leading to the interior of the coach the power MUST be able to return to the batteries. This will be returned to the furthest battery from the battery the the 12V power is supplied from.
The chassis ground cable attached to the battery negative MUST be connected solidly to not just the battery but the connection on the chassis frame.
With a volt meter check the power to the frame by attaching the RED positive probe on the meter to the positive cable hosting the wire leading to the chassis. Then touch the chassis frame with the BLACK probe. You should get a 12V. plus reading. If you don't get a 12V. reading there is a problem where the negative cable is connected to the frame or there is a connection problem somewhere within the battery bank. To check for this with the RED probe on the battery furthest away from the battery with the chassis ground wire attached touch the BLACK probe the negative terminal and check for a 12V. plus reading. If you get a 12V. reading the battery bank is OK. If not you either have a bad connection within the battery bank or a bad battery.
You can check for this by disconnecting the ground cable which leads to the chassis and probe each individual battery to find a 12V. reading on each battery.
Somewhere there has to be a connection(s) between the chassis ground and the house ground circuit.
Like someone else said, "I wish I was there to help you".
Remember all the while electrical power is a CIRCLE. Power out MUST return to ground or nothing will work.
Somewhere in the papers etc. which should have come with the RV there may be a wiring schematic of the wiring for your RV. This may be very helpful to you and us if you can find it.

EDIT: If the generator starter is working the battery bank and chassis ground is probably OK. On my MH there is a ground wire from the generator frame attached directly to the chassis frame. This would confirm the battery bank and ground on the frame are OK.
There still has to be a ground between the chassis and the house.
This could be checked by removing a switch (or remove the entire lamp assembly for access to the switch) from an interior lamp and running a jumper wire from the battery ground cable on the battery bank to the ground wire on the light switch. With the switch on the lamp should light. If it does the 12V. circuit is OK The ground circuit is at fault. If not you have a 12V. supply issue.
Lynn
Old 01-03-2019, 06:50 AM   #26

Twinboat is well versed on electrical issues but I do have another suggestion.
PM Old Bisquit. He is very knowledgeable on most anything you can throw at him.
Lynn
Old 01-03-2019, 08:56 PM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
Well, to update all whom have given me help, suggestions and advice. I found the problem! After spending 3 days in, around and under the coach the problem is solved.
This morning I started at the battery bay for the house batteries. Took off 6 wires from the positive lugs and 6 wires off the 2 negative lugs. Pulled both 12 volt batteries out. Got under the coach and followed the heavy ground wires to where the were grounded to the transmission. They looked a little funky so I disconnected them, wire brushed them and sanded both. Cleaned off the point of attachment applied dielectric grease and reattached same. Crawled out and did the same with both 12volt batteries and all 12 wires just knowing I had found the problem.
Went inside and you guessed it, no change.
I was sitting outside on my stool when the fellow that owns the 40' Atria 2 spots down from me comes by and said that I looked like I had just gotten terrible new. I said something like that! He got my volt meter and started checking what I had spent 2 1/2 hours doing and checking. I showed him the disconnect switch that I had jumped earlier in the battery bay. He asked me to go in the coach in hit the switch. The next thing I see him walking to the passenger side and asked met to keep hitting the switch. He stopped by the bay door where my converter is installed and asked me to open the bay door. I opened the bay door and he said the sound was coming from behind a panel. Removed the panel and low and behold there was the 12 volt switch relay. Took the voltmeter and again asked me to hit the switch. After about 30 seconds he said here's your problem, this switch is not closing. Jumped that switch and hotdamn everything worked. Plugged in shore power and everything worked as it was supposed to. Disconnected shore power and started the Generator and everything worked as it was supposed to.
Now I just have to find a replacement relay and will be flying again.
Thanks for listening and a special Thank You to all that saw me through this ordeal and keep trying to help me.
Is this a Great Country or what!!!!!
Old 01-03-2019, 10:35 PM   #28

Ta da.

So it was a 12V issue and it was a relay. BUT another relay that was hidden back in a bay.

Well 4 good things came out of this:
1) All your 12V batt connections and grounds are spic and span now
2) You know a whole lot more about your electrical systems than you did 3 days ago
3) Your problem is now fixed and hopefully you can resume your Florida trip
4) You just made a new friend 2 doors down. Treat him to a nice lunch

Hooray!!!!!

Tags
electric, electrical, problem