Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2021, 08:27 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Cool Emergency exit in Class A

So today we actually got locked in in our Tiffin Allegro Bus. The top lock some how jammed and would not open no matter what. We tried leveling, key fob, electronic lock/unlock, button for the lock, brute force, everything. And it’s Sunday so no one is open. No one was around where we park. It’s AZ, so it’s hot and we didn’t want to wait for roadside assistance. There are no windows on the Allegro Bus on passenger side where the lock on door can be accessed if I could have reached out and tried key from there. Emergency exit came to mind except it’s a really long way to the ground from there. We ended up driving to a neighbors’s house and I was able to hand her the keys they the driver’s side window. She was able to unlock the door from outside and we were on our way. I have now ordered a roll up emergency escape ladder to keep near the emergency exit. Just wondering if anyone has ever had to use theirs and what you did to manage the drop. I never really gave it much thought other than to know where the exits were and how to open them, but it’s a huge drop to climb out of a window and drop to the ground. And I don’t think pillows would do much good. Who the hell gets locked into their own RV?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2021, 08:33 PM   #2

Ladder inside emergency exit door

No sure about your model, but our Newmar has a ladder inside the emergency door inside trim panel. You pull it open and extend the ladder to the ground. I would have thought your model would have done same.
scotttkd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:43 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotttkd View Post
No sure about your model, but our Newmar has a ladder inside the emergency door inside trim panel. You pull it open and extend the ladder to the ground. I would have thought your model would have done same.
Ours does not. I obviously would have used it if it did.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:32 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I thought you might find this interesting!

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/esca...ks-154476.html
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmitchmd View Post
Ours does not. I obviously would have used it if it did.

Unless other brands have added an escape door recently, I think only Newmar and American Coach models have them. Generally speaking they are in the side wall behind a toilet on DP floor plans.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:22 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Tiffin DOES have an escape door on some models (I think the Bus is one), but it's an option. It's behind the master bedroom headboard.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:27 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Actually, the escape door is something that all coaches could use. Maybe in the future, it will catch on and become standard equipment. We have one on ours. It's located in a spot where it doesn't cause the loss of any storage space, behind the aster bath toilet.....opposite end of coach from front door.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a