Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2017, 08:22 PM   #29

I know this is probably not a great answer but I always figured if I'm in the situation where I need to exit I'm going to most likely throw the bedspread over around me and move quickly towards the door. Ready to throw the bedspread off me when im exiting the door. If that route isn't an option I'm probably gonna die. I don't see the emergency window as a viable option.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 10:22 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your wife is mobil impaired maybe one of these coach's may help.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:35 PM   #31

RVs don't have a building code like houses so there's not much you can count on. This is a great thread and everyone should at least think about what to do in an emergency. RV fires spread crazy fast and there's little time to get out.

I'm kind of a nut about this type of thing and always put a CO and smoke detector in each "section" of my RVs. Basically, if a door or curtain closes off an area it gets 2 detectors.

Something I've noticed about the egress windows in every RV I've ever had is they really stick to the seals if not opened at least a couple times a year. A child wouldn't have a prayer of getting them opened if not freed up recently.

Take a minute and plan for the worst.... while enjoying the best
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:30 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
<snip>

Take a minute and plan for the worst.... while enjoying the best
Bingo!!!!

There have been some great inputs here, thanks a whole bunch!!! Probably the best IMHO is upgrading the quantity and type of fire extinguishers throughout the coach . . .
Old 09-21-2017, 09:31 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbelcher View Post
I know this is probably not a great answer but I always figured if I'm in the situation where I need to exit I'm going to most likely throw the bedspread over around me and move quickly towards the door. Ready to throw the bedspread off me when im exiting the door. If that route isn't an option I'm probably gonna die. I don't see the emergency window as a viable option.
I highly doubt if your two options are death or a less than ideal emergency exit that you will take former vs. the latter as a course of action.

-Kevin
Old 09-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #34

Emergency exits are not a comfort nor convenience item, if required then a catastrophic event has occurred and the sole purpose is to safe lives.

The human condition at its core is the preservation of life and if you are able body of any kind you will find away out that emergency exit. Will you be bumped, bruised or a bit broken on the way out, most likely but you won't be dead either.

-Kevin
Old 09-21-2017, 10:03 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfriceman View Post
I highly doubt if your two options are death or a less than ideal emergency exit that you will take former vs. the latter as a course of action.

-Kevin
Obviously I'm not just gonna sit there and die. I'm a big and strong guy. I don't know that I'll fit thru the window but id try if I couldn't run out thru the front door.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:48 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have our 95 yr old mother traveling with us. She gets the bedroom. She would have no chance of getting out the "escape" window. I am not sure we could either (72/67). Since we think the most logical fire danger for us comes from the refrigerator which is between the bedroom and the only exit door, mom would be gone and us probably also trying to help her.

The only answer we have come up is to have two large fire extinguishers handy. One in the BR and one in the living room where we sleep. Every night I put it next to my side of the bed ready to use. When we boondocking and use the refer on propane DW sleeps with mom and has the extinguisher handy and also practices its use.

Since I consider the refer the most likely threat, I have also put a halon self actuated extinguisher which activates at 150 deg, in the outside refer compartment. Since the Norcold we have has been fire prone, we have also installed the Amish cooling unit.

We have a front engine gassser any engine fire will hopefully be escapable and is little threat when we have been parked some time before dark.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #37

I'm so dead.

Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondiega1 View Post
I'm so dead.

Lol that's the spirit. [emoji23] . But in all seriousness, like others have posted, the emergency window is a viable option. Push/kick that thing out and get out whatever means necessary. Ur body is gonna hurt afterwards but ur alive. Unless you fall the 8 feet to ur head and well... Let's not go there. Like I said. If I can make it out the front, covering myself with the bedspread I'm taking my chances. I can hold my breath the length of time it takes me to barrel out the door. As long as the roof and all that hasn't collapsed in I'm going for it.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:55 PM   #39

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbelcher View Post
... I can hold my breath the length of time it takes me to barrel out the door...
I'd recommend learning, and practicing, unlocking that door in total darkness while lying down on the floor. Because heading out the door may involve getting down low, and fumbling with the door handle and locks could spell the difference between you say "Arrgggg" and your nearest living relatives saying "Arrgggg". (Personally I only lock the deadbolt at night, because it is the easiest for both me and DW to open.)
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:28 PM   #40

Important topic thanks to the OP for bringing it up.

For those that are able, the emergency exits should work. Or you would be able to kick a window out. Our coach has several emergency exit windows.

If in the situation that someone is unable to use one of these for whatever reason maybe consider having an automatic fire extinguishing system installed. Even if only one in the engine bay area and one near the refrigerator. We spend a ton of money on these rigs as it is.

There are halon automatic extinguishers that are simple to install and only 200 each. Actually now that the topic has been brought up and knowing they are just 200 I am going to order 4 now. One for the gen set area, 2 for the engine bay and one for the refrigerator area. $800 is cheaper than anything else I think I could find to do the same job. Even if they do not extinguish the fire completely it buys some precious time. Kind of like the Pony back up bottle I carry diving. I have carried hundreds of times never needed it......but it's always there. One of those items you get and hope to never use.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:07 PM   #41

I had thought about starting this topic the other day when I found that we can't get the emergency window open. It is hinged at the top and know that my husband or I can force it open but don't want to try to get it not to leak.

Interesting thing I didn't think about in the last campground we stayed in was a good sized ravine that dropped off right where the emergency exit for the bedroom was.

Pretty sure getting out will be painful I can't imagine being able to to out feet first butt out. Easiest way out is headfirst butt out but that wouldn't end well after a 6ft drop. Too bad the drop and roll doesn't really work the same as it does in movies. haha I wonder if I can slide out to my feet hang on and then drop and roll. hopefully we never get to find out.

Having had small 3rd degree burns and the intense pain that comes with it was way worse than the pain of breaking my foot and chipping the bone in my thumb falling down the RV steps. I will take broken bones or death over 3rd degree burns.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:50 PM   #42

My ideal would be a hatch in the sidewall about 2'6" square with the bottom of the opening flush with the floor. One big recessed release handle in the middle and hinged downwards to about 30 degrees off vertical. Just slide out down the hatch feet first face down and your feet touch the ground well before you have to let go.

Quote:
A child wouldn't have a prayer of getting them opened if not freed up recently.
Not only children. I've struck a couple where it took me quite a while to bounce it open and that 25 seconds is about 23 seconds too long.