Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #1

Emergency exits...ever tried to use it?

I wanted to make this a separate thread in order to focus the discussion on emergency exits. During last weekend's DFW RV show we spent some time in Tiffin's, Winnebago Tour and Newmar. Since Debbie is mobility impaired we paid particular attention to emergency exits and were surprised to see how difficult most were to access by anyone other than a gymnast. Several had you climbing over cabinets in order to access and most were pretty small.

We chatted with several other "shoppers" while in the units and most had never considered the location and/or ease of access and size of emergency exits. Newmar, with their DOOR type exit really stood out in this area.

My question is, how many have you actually "fire drilled" in your units and actually egressed from your coach using an emergency exit?

Was/is emergency exit access something you considered in your purchase decision.

Thanks for reading and looking forward to hear y'all's thoughts!

Have a fantastic day!!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #2

Saw it demonstrated at a rally, not sure I would ever try it unless it's not absolutely necessary.
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:07 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I responded in your other thread too. It's smart of you to consider this now.

What Newmar model are you looking at that has you less concerned about an emergency evacuation?

I assume you are referring to having the normal entry door located behind the passenger seat (in the main living space) rather than in front of it.

I have not seen any MH models that have a regular-normal entry door and a separate emergency exit door. Unless you consider a "driver's side door" as the emergency exit door. I believe you can have a wheelchair lift/entry added to many MHs if your buying/building new. That would be a useful addition (and maybe a considered an emergency exit) for someone that is disabled. (actually, there's a Sticky with links to handicapped equipped MHs at the top of this forum).
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:11 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know if it's standard equipment or if it's an option but I see on a lot of the newer Newmar coaches there is an actual door in the bedroom to the outside it's small but it's better than the window option a lot of us have.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Just a heads up, if you decide to try your window emergency exit, the complete window assembly will fall out on the ground if it's like our bedroom emergency exit.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:16 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman1 View Post
I don't know if it's standard equipment or if it's an option but I see on a lot of the newer Newmar coaches there is an actual door in the bedroom to the outside it's small but it's better than the window option a lot of us have.
I didn't know about that.
I assume with the door open, your still 4 or 5 feet off the ground - but still better than crawling out the window and falling 6 feet, I suppose.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:16 AM   #7

We saw that Motorhome with the escape door too. It had a telescoping ladder built in to the bottom half of the door which made getting out even easier.

By the way, I was really disappointed in the DFW show. Pretty much all trailers. Only about 10% motorhomes. No Fleetwoods at all.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Our door was jammed shut....another story..... we used the exit window, passenger side. Not real easy, and a long way to the ground.
Advice. We keep a 2" pvc pipe in the slide closet runner.
1. It keeps the closet door from coming open.
2. Use it to prop the exit window open, its heavy
Also, before you go out, throw the bedspread or blanket over the window edge. The trim has ridges, and are rough.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
P.S. I went first, then was help DW with the drop.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Our door was jammed shut....another story..... we used the exit window, passenger side. Not real easy, and a long way to the ground.
Advice. We keep a 2" pvc pipe in the slide closet runner.
1. It keeps the closet door from coming open.
2. Use it to prop the exit window open, its heavy
Also, before you go out, throw the bedspread or blanket over the window edge. The trim has ridges, and are rough.
Ouch. What happened?
Fire in the front of coach, I assume? Or did you mean the main coach door just wouldn't open from the inside so you couldn't get out?

These exit windows should come with an inflatable slide (like airplane).
Old 09-20-2017, 10:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
We saw that Motorhome with the escape door too. It had a telescoping ladder built in to the bottom half of the door which made getting out even easier.

By the way, I was really disappointed in the DFW show. Pretty much all trailers. Only about 10% motorhomes. No Fleetwoods at all.
We were also . . . from a DP perspective it was pathetic. Pretty sure there was no Fleetwoods, Thors or Entegras there due to the good folks at MHSRV not participating.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:39 AM   #12

Our Fleetwood Terra SE 33s is pretty high.
I've opened the rear emergency window a few times but wouldn't 'drill' in an emergency I'd be out in a few seconds.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I didn't know about that.
I assume with the door open, your still 4 or 5 feet off the ground - but still better than crawling out the window and falling 6 feet, I suppose.
On one of the Newmar's we saw there is a drop down ladder that extended from the bottom of the door. I think that on "most" DP's we've looked at that you'd be lucky if the emergency exit was "only" 6 feet from the ground, especially aired up.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:41 AM   #14

That emergency door in the bathroom is something I'd put on my list for the next coach.
No way I'm getting out that window.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote