RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2020, 07:00 PM   #1

Emergency planning for breakdowns...

Before a long trip in your class A... contingency planning. When most of us take a 7-10 day vacation, spending a week in the middle of nowhere at a shop if all heck breaks loose is to be avoided. Any helpful hints?

There’s the obvious precautions:

Breakdown insurance/towing
Some spare parts

Any others that are helpful?

Was thinking:

Duct tape
Silicone pipe wrap in case of leaks
Lots of tools
Ohm meter
Extra lightbulbs/driving bulbs
Portable electric heater in case furnace breaks
Extra hidden keys
Tire plug in case of flat with no cell service
Tire inflator
Air line fittings/joiner in case of major leak
Extra fuel filters for diesel in case clogged
Extra serpentine belt and water pump belt

And I assume the following is overkill...?

Small generator for fridge if boondocking and Onan poops out
Extra coolant
Extra oil to top off

And in case something major fails and locks up like the alternator or AC, and destroys the belt... can you drive with the generator running to power and charge the chassis batteries? Is that a plausible way to get home? Most class a’s seem to have a separate belt for the water pump...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2020, 07:23 PM   #2

Credit Card
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:28 PM   #3

Cash
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:45 PM   #4

Cell phone, credit card and toad.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Cell phone, credit card and toad.
Those three items will cover everything.
last July the fuel distributor module failed in my injector pump. There is nothing anyone can do alongside a road to fix that.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:15 PM   #6

Do your preventative maintenance before you leave. Let me repeat: DO YOUR PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE BEFORE YOU LEAVE. Every owners manual will tell you what the preventative maintenance steps are that they want you to take. Do them, it's that simple. It's a whole lot easier to fix your rig or have some else fix your rig when you are some place you are familiar with that it is on the road. I know there are catastrophic failures now and again but most breakdowns on the road are the result of neglected maintenance. Just my opinion.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:18 PM   #7

Get Coach-Net towing coverage.

Figure out a way to keep the refrigerator cold for a week or more if it's not propane. Plan a way to get water; a gerry can and beer-bong funnel will do in a pinch.

Over the years I've spent many two or three-day visits, but the ones that stand out are four days in a shop yard parked next to a garbage truck, and 12 days at a transmission shop.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:22 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Good roadside assistance company.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:12 AM   #9

There is a similar comment thread that is running right now as to what tools a newbie should have with them...

Worth reading

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/mus...-508280-2.html

Mike
Old 09-28-2020, 06:57 AM   #10

Full set of tools
Old 09-28-2020, 08:06 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I keep a spare fuel filter and an extra fan belt on my 2000 Workhorse Chassis Winny Adventurer. Has a full size spare 19.5" wheel & tire mounted under the rear chassis. Good Sam Roadside or Coach Net. AAA RV coverage not available in the Northeast Region.

Anything requiring more involved repairs than those 3 things will involve a Mobile Repair Tech or shop to fix as far as I am concerned.

Plenty of great people here willing to help all around the country so don't be afraid to ask.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
There is a similar comment thread that is running right now as to what tools a newbie should have with them...

Worth reading

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/mus...-508280-2.html

Mike
I screwed up - the link that I posted dumps you into page 2 of that comment thread.

You will want to start here:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/must-have-tools-508280.html

Mike
Old 09-28-2020, 11:43 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Travel with plenty of fresh water and waste tanks pretty emply. In case of being stuck somewhere for awhile.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:00 PM   #14

I like all the replies about cash and credit cards...

What I am worried about is simply missing the entire vacation. You miss 3 days due to a break down, for a 7 day vacation... you might as well turn around and not go! 2 days are for driving anyway!

Figured if you have some stuff, might be able to avoid the repairs, and sleeping at the rv mechanics lot . Even staying at some hotel in the middle of nowhere would be nice to avoid...

Anyone here done some McGyver type repairs to keep the RV going? You guys remember that TV show, right?
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote