Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2018, 09:51 AM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I highly recommend that you purchase a good EMS! It will be the cheapest insurance you will ever buy!

I would go with the Progressive Industries PT50X or HW50C, depending on whether you want a portable or hardwired unit.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2018, 10:47 AM   #16

I purchased a new to us motorhome a couple of months ago. It was out of state, so before I went to pick it up, I purchased Progressive Industries SSP-50XL Surge Protector. When I picked up the new motorhome, it has a hardwired unit already in it. Should I sell the never used portable or use it with the hardwired one for double protection?
cyclehome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclehome View Post
I purchased a new to us motorhome a couple of months ago. It was out of state, so before I went to pick it up, I purchased Progressive Industries SSP-50XL Surge Protector. When I picked up the new motorhome, it has a hardwired unit already in it. Should I sell the never used portable or use it with the hardwired one for double protection?
One consideration is that imo your Progressive unit may be a much better built SP. It would seem that having a 2nd SP would only have an effect on the elec that has passed SP1 and how long and how possible is it that your elec has become unstable in that small section of cord?

Then again, if SP1 fails then SP2 may be able to 'catch' the problem successfully.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:21 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburn View Post
One consideration is that imo your Progressive unit may be a much better built SP. It would seem that having a 2nd SP would only have an effect on the elec that has passed SP1 and how long and how possible is it that your elec has become unstable in that small section of cord?

Then again, if SP1 fails then SP2 may be able to 'catch' the problem successfully.
Thanks. The hardwired unit is Progressive as well. I know our IT guys always had us double our surge protection in the office. We had conditioned power to all computers and had a surge protector at each computer also. I think I'll just sell it.
cyclehome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:08 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
I am not 100% convinced these do much of anything. There are three types of surges.

(1) most critical is lightning. If it hits close by, it is coming through any surge protector made.

(2) reduced voltage/brown-out. Nothing you can do other than to crank up generator or power down something.

(3) over-voltage. Very uncommon, but you can regulate it a bit.

I once saw a detailed study done at Miss State on this subject. Very little benefit since the main "surge" everyone worries about is lightning. I have personally not seen any "brightness" surges in a CG after many years of camping (non-RV but still camping). So the question is, does the cost justify the possible benefit? Hard to say IMHO. I don't use 'em anywhere in my house and I am an electronic/computer person for 50 years and counting...
Old 05-03-2018, 05:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hyatt View Post
I am not 100% convinced these do much of anything. There are three types of surges.

(1) most critical is lightning. If it hits close by, it is coming through any surge protector made.

(2) reduced voltage/brown-out. Nothing you can do other than to crank up generator or power down something.

(3) over-voltage. Very uncommon, but you can regulate it a bit.

I once saw a detailed study done at Miss State on this subject. Very little benefit since the main "surge" everyone worries about is lightning. I have personally not seen any "brightness" surges in a CG after many years of camping (non-RV but still camping). So the question is, does the cost justify the possible benefit?
Yes, they're worth it. The "surge protectors" people are talking about here also detect electrical faults -- low/high voltages, mis-wiring, open ground/neutral, etc.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Progtressive Industries come with a very good warranty
TRC Surge guard units not such a good warranty
You haven't been keeping up. Both Progressive and TRC (now Southwire) have new owners.

Southwire now offers limited lifetime warranty just like Progressive's.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:01 PM   #22

Great thread....and timely

Just purchased rig a month or so back. Did not think about surge protection or EMS (like many other things we realize we have no clue about...being new RV owners)..

We have a 50AMP rig and i must admit I like the thought of an installed EMS but DIY seems a little intimidating. Any ideas on how much an RV Tech might charge?

Either way, I am leaning towards the Progressive Portable based on comments in this thread...
Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlgmjg View Post
We purchased a 2016 Winnebago 33C sunova- I have read contradicting information on whether to purchase one -- we are novices at this - so -
should we purchase? -- which model would be recommended? - any other comments, suggestions, would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance
Contradicting information because a lot of folks either don't understand the risks, to cheap to cover their rear end, think that this won't happen to them, or simply don't care. The risk is a whole lot higher especially in newer rigs that are LOADED with tons of electronic bells and whistles that older rigs simply do not have.

Kudos to you for asking this question for the need of protection.

So, let me ask you this?

Do you have computers or other high value electronics in your home?
If the answer is yes, then the next question is...when plugged in, do you protect THEM with—any type—of electrical protection? If the answer is no...then you have decided to put that equipment at risk and are willing to pay the price IF something happens.

For me, I don't like taking necessary risks. Especially if I lose and it's going to cost me a lot of money. When you're in a RV you're traveling right? Traveling takes you to a lot of unknown areas. Areas that may be electrically safe and wired correctly OR maybe not. Our house experience is a start, but when you're moving around in an RV EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT. Our house experience is really irrelevant.

To me it's a matter of common sense, not brains, education or experience. If I'm going to spend say 100K or so on an RV, it begs the question...why wouldn't I spend $400 to help protect it. All it would take is ONE incident to possibly really ruin our day.
Or how about this.
Out of the millions of people who have owned a home or an RV and had fire extinguishers installed? How many of them have ever used them over the years? Probably not many. But isn't it still a good idea to keep them on hand JIC?

We've spent hard earned money for all our electronics and our MH, which BTW is loaded with a lot of complicated electronics, appliances and sensitive equipment. And we take care of our stuff. It's our house and we don't want to put it at risk. So yes we have installed protection. $400 or so to me concerning this issue is chump change.

We have a Hardwired 50amp Progressive EMS !!! If you can't do that, then at least do a portable...OR...your stuff will be at risk. It's kinda like investing in the stock market. What level of risk are willing to take?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:04 PM   #24

I had a Surge Guard on my 2005 Sightseer. At a park in Canada we had brown outs every afternoon. My Surge Guard didn't protect me from low power and my shore power plug melted. We were able to move to another site where the power was constant.

We now have a 2016 Winnebago Sightseer 33C which is the same as the Sonova 33C. I had a Progressive Industries 50 amp system hard wired into my coach. I don't need to worry that someone might take my portable device.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
I had a Surge Guard on my 2005 Sightseer. At a park in Canada we had brown outs every afternoon. My Surge Guard didn't protect me from low power and my shore power plug melted. We were able to move to another site where the power was constant.

We now have a 2016 Winnebago Sightseer 33C which is the same as the Sonova 33C. I had a Progressive Industries 50 amp system hard wired into my coach. I don't need to worry that someone might take my portable device.

Safe travels. JD
We have the portable progressive Dynamics protector that does protect over voltage/ miswired. But not under voltage.
Our indoor panel shows voltage on each leg which I do pay attention to, which obvioualy is not perfect, but worth something. Mid to late afternoon is peak AC use, so i really pay attention there. So far, never saw undervoltage, but it happens.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems