Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2021, 10:44 AM   #57

It's hard to beat those snap on guys, 27 years ago I bought a Snap On building in Portland, Or, it was almost to nice to work in. My home shop was built for motorhome but something happened along the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	318591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shop 2 12-3--17.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	318592  

Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2021, 11:14 AM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Finally got tired of the airplane sitting outside. We’re selling our house and two barns and are downsizing. First I’m building a hangar/storage barn (50x60) to store the airplane and motor home and house furnishings in a loft while we build a smaller house. It will also contain a heated art studio for my better half, and a workshop for me. It will contain water, electric and septic so we can live in the MH while the house is built. I’m not going to say what it cost, but it was at least 2x what I expected. Cement and 40 ft. bi-fold doors are expensive! Assembled it myself with help from a few friends, though I probably did 85% of the work since September. - Photos show progress to date.

Walt
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	267FF3B8-F942-4382-B990-8CE8D71D8C3E.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	354.4 KB
ID:	318594   Click image for larger version

Name:	E32C9EC4-484E-46C7-9B92-C84770B197FB.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	318595  

photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:25 PM   #59

Spartan Chassis
I did smile when I first read this.post. That discussion has been going on for years. My solution was to purchase a home base that had enough room to build a 40x70 metal building with16 ft. doors on both ends. It wasn't cheap but I wanted to be able to work on our 45ft. DP in addition to house it. As far as rodents go, I think the black (rat) snakes do a fine job! The signs saying "Warning! Snakes on Premise" does wonders to keep thieves away as well! LOL
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 01:30 PM   #60

Walt, nice building, I see heights do not bother you, my knees would have been shaking that far up even with a scissor lift, being a pilot must help.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:07 PM   #61

Freightliner Owners Club
Crasher I would covet what your son has! in central Texas I pay 92.00 for 50 foot awning roof only on gravel with 30 amp hook up. best I could find was a 40 fully enclosed for 275.00 a month but mine would not fit and close the door. Plus a lot of the fully enclosed are not tall enough around here. Tell your Son his storage would be perfect for me.
2018 Weekend Warrior 4620 fifth wheel toy hauler
2upServant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:33 PM   #62

When you stop and think what an enclosed 14x50x14 stall costs to build including land, $400/month isn't out of line.
Commercial zoning and prices for land. 700 sq ft of enclosed space at a height of at least 14 feet. A huge lot, 50-70 feet wide to get these monsters in and out. Throw in property taxes, insurance, cost of capital and operating expenses plus a little profit. Its a bargain.
Nobody is getting rich off of these rv storage lots or else you would find plenty to pick from.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:45 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by photopilot View Post
Finally got tired of the airplane sitting outside. We’re selling our house and two barns and are downsizing. First I’m building a hangar/storage barn (50x60) to store the airplane and motor home and house furnishings in a loft while we build a smaller house. It will also contain a heated art studio for my better half, and a workshop for me. It will contain water, electric and septic so we can live in the MH while the house is built. I’m not going to say what it cost, but it was at least 2x what I expected. Cement and 40 ft. bi-fold doors are expensive! Assembled it myself with help from a few friends, though I probably did 85% of the work since September. - Photos show progress to date.

Walt
That is sooo nice !! I'm a pilot and an I.A. and I suppose you have a nice grass strip there too? It's a pilots dream, am so happy your getting it. I need something that big but no room on my city lot.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:18 AM   #64

Storage

I own a 45 ft Tiffin Allegro Bus 45OPP and currently pay 225.00 a month in uncovered nice storage in Delray Beach Florida. Covered in this area and temp control is over $400 a month. With all that being said, I’m moving to Flagler Beach on a saltwater canal and will be building a block structure with roof more than likely. Gonna be expensive but has its benefits.
Canefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:09 AM   #65

Wow awesome barns+ and Storage buildings

Photopilot gosh, your project in progress pics and Outbound's pics, remind me of that old show where the fellow used to drive into the wall less garage in his house. I remember it was based in Las Vegas with a Tbird as the car. I'd just attach the house to this building with a connecting sun room or great room and an air curtain when the connection was open.

Outbound pic of those sweet sweet automobiles included man cave wow.

Like the brick front two opening design, alas my slab is already there and space and budget limited plus the HOA issues.

My project will be just a humble multi duty 15x40x14 (it looks like) parking garage, to double duty as a workshop occasionally with infrastructure at one end with tools stored next door. Would rather live in the country, but the wife likes the burbs and so here we are! Fun for all and all for fun, it's the only way to be!
Old 02-22-2021, 06:54 PM   #66

Thor Owners Club
Another vote for enclosed. 55’ x 21’

Built in ‘98. Mistake was 18’ wide but only 12’ high door.

Since pix, had clear ceiling panels moved to south side (left in pix) & added 2’”closed cell spray foam insulation & heat & air.

Haven’t winterized in over 20 years.

Like it a lot, loved it during this arctic experience in central Ok.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AE32EBCC-CB55-48F9-B831-379BB7644B6E.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	318935  
Old 02-22-2021, 08:50 PM   #67

Hey Petcar,

Hope you don't mind me asking, does your rig get in the 12ft door without any air pressure adjustments in the suspension or tires or did you do something to the floor to let the rig come through? I know of a fellow who actually cut groves in the floor to create a process to get his vehicle into a door that was 3 inches too low. He would gingerly drive into the garage to get through the low overhead entrance.

As mentioned I would have liked 16 but because of only 15 wide most contractors are saying 14 max with 2x6s in stud walls instead of 2x4s.

Any insight would be much appreciated on the dimensions' aspect.

Really liked hearing that you do not have to winterize given the insulation and addition of HVAC to the unit.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:01 PM   #68

Another reason for an enclosed garage is wind carried dirt and dust will eventually dull the paint/gel-coat.
We built a 60'x40'x15' pole barn to house our RV and other toys.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:14 AM   #69
US Navy Veteran

Florida Cooters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
We have a Simply Storage facility close to our sticks and bricks. They charge a reasonable $120 per month for covered space with 20amp electric service. With boats and other Motorhomes next to ours, we get very little sun exposure except for the end cap gets a few hours each afternoon. It is half the cost of fully enclosed unit.

Name:	35DE27FE-993B-4DBB-84DA-6B2C6594D3C6.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	320263
2009 CT Coachworks Siena 35V / W22 8.1L / Ford Flex / Blue Ox Avail / TST 507 / Scan Gauge II / Even Brake / Onan 7k / F&R Sway bars / Steering Stabilizer / F&R Trac Bar / SumoSpring / Bilstein shocks / Members: FMCA, WCMC, Good Sams, RV Life
DiverBob57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, storage