Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2021, 06:54 PM   #1

Enclosed storage vs covered.

What are the pros and cons over fully enclosed storage with power vs covered, but open on the sides with power?

Other that cost that is. Coach is a 2019 45' DP in the Houston area.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2021, 07:11 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I have fully enclosed, and love it.

Just covered will still get you weather damage from sun coming in the sides or ends, as well as more tempurature swings.

Also less chance of rodents with fully enclosed.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:28 PM   #3

I agree just covered allows sun and elements to attack paint etc, still better than uncovered, comes down to cost, have not checked lately but I would think fully enclosed would be double the price.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:39 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
If by "covered", you're referring to just a fabric cover, there is no comparison. Any structure beats a fabric cover hands down.

We have covered but with open sides partway down & the rear fully enclosed. With enough of the sides enclosed, the only part that really gets elements are the tires & those we cover when in storage. We fully enclosed the west side to better keep the sun off.

We built it 51ft long, even though our Bounder was only 37ft. We, then, didn't have to extend it when we got our 41ft Phaeton & still gave us plenty of room to hook up out of the sun/rain/elements when it was time to go on our next adventure.

We have access to 30a at the garage beside the port, but a couple years ago we ran a dedicated 50a line to it.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:46 PM   #5

Your RV will last longer, smell better, look better, run better, won’t sun rot and generally you will sleep better knowing it’s protected from the elements in an enclosed space. I could tell you the story about mine being parked at a fenced in “RV” storage facility and it taking 3 days for the mud to dry before I could drive it out— but, ....you get the idea.
Good luck- IMO the cost is worth it.
Tonkexpress1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:58 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Full covered building insulated. Built a pole barn and fully insulated it. It was 9 degrees here and it was still 38 degrees in the building. Very seldom if ever gets below freezing inside. Plus you can heat it when you want to do your own upgrades during the winter months.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:05 PM   #7

Fully enclosed is by far the best. Keeps sun , rain, moisture/humidity swings, critters and thieves at bay.
Just a partial covering is better than nothing, but not near as good as fully enclosed.
Your rig will like it and you will love it. Both while you use it and when you sell it.
There is an old saying I heard in my early work years in construction that applies here.
If you need a tool and don't buy it, you pay for it anyway.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
Full covered building insulated. Built a pole barn and fully insulated it. It was 9 degrees here and it was still 38 degrees in the building. Very seldom if ever gets below freezing inside. Plus you can heat it when you want to do your own upgrades during the winter months.
Being in Houston I'm more worried about heat than cold. The unit isn't insulated, but fully sealed against the elements.

On a hot Summer day, I'm guessing it will get as hot as 110 inside the storage unit.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:14 AM   #9

I would never leave it uncovered so covering the roof is better than nothing. However I have always stored any rv I have owner indoors.
I am puzzled by those that spend 200k+ on a mh then do not want to spend $80 a month to at the least, pay for covered storage.
Winger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:46 AM   #10

Here in FL enclosed RV storage is difficult to find and very expensive. We have covered storage in a building that houses about 50 RV's side by side, so there is no sun exposure on the sides or back. I requested and got a north facing spot to further reduce sun exposure from the front. We get maybe 3 hours of sun exposure on the front of the RV from about 8am to 11am when the intensity is the least. Less so in the winter. I wax that part more than the rest. Cost with 30 amp power is about $270/mo.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:24 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I presume you are weighing the cost and benefits of different levels of protection because, like me, you are not made of money. Fully enclosed and climate controlled will always be the best but, in my opinion, not necessarily cost effective. I went through the same process last year and determined for me the most cost effective structure had a roof, full sides, west end 1/2 covered and front open to the east, well drained gravel floor and approximately 10’ longer overall than my coach. I live in Michigan and a fully enclosed structure would require powered ventilation to at least partially control humidity and temperature in the spring and summer, otherwise mold could form rather quickly. Moisture control will also require a concrete floor with a vapor barrier. The sun and rain never hit my roof, sides, or tires. The morning and evening sun shines on part of the front and rear but I switch ends periodically to equalize the exposure. My all steel structure cost $7,600 fully erected. I did all site prep myself. A fully enclosed, insulated, and and climate controlled building to house my 29’ coach could easily triple or quadruple that figure, not to mention yearly utility bills. I feel my structure will pay for itself over a ten year period in reduced maintenance costs for my coach, and increased resale value by protecting the exterior.
Vibeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:26 AM   #12

I found an enclosed unit after a lot of calling around. It is expensive, but not compared to the cost of my coach.

I was more concerned with any possible problems/precautions related to heat buildup in the Summer. Sounds like it isn't a big deal.

I'm wait listed for a climate controlled insulated unit, and will move there as soon as one becomes available.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:27 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger2 View Post
....I am puzzled by those that spend 200k+ on a mh then do not want to spend $80 a month to at the least, pay for covered storage.
Dang! I wanna live where you do. Around here, one is lucky if there's UNCOVERED storage for $80/mo. If we could've found covered storage for $80/mo , we might not've spent over $5k building the RV port. Although I'm quite happy we did. Our 13 y.o. Bounder looked brand new when we traded it.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:51 PM   #14

Fully enclosed is always better. However, we have an RV port at our WI where is sits for 5 months except when we are traveling. It's in a shaded area, so no sun hits it I was going to put up an RV port at our AZ home, but shied away from the $15,000 estimate. It's parked in out back yard from Nov to May except when in use. The suns intensity is not extreme during those months. So far in 7 years it looks near new yet. Again, fully enclosed is by far the best. Good Example: My son just returned to WI after a 3 week visit here. He had driven over 500 miles of salted roads. It was -5 when he pulled into his 110" building. His floors are heated and he was able to wash the road salt off the coach and 26' enclosed trailer. I'm a little bit jealous.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, storage