Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2017, 07:41 PM   #15

I would think the easiest way for the OP to check the plug would be to pin out the plug on the truck he tows the trailer with. He could draw a simple diagram of what pin does what then go to his MH and do a comparison of the functions.
We are all probably assuming the truck and the trailer are wired in the standard configuration. Over the years I have been in the Auto repair business I have wired hundreds of vehicles and trailers. I have run into some situations where someone really messed the wiring up. In those cases I strip everything and start completely over.
Before proceeding with the following tests the 12V. test lamp must be connected to a known good ground on the tow vehicle.
IF, note I said IF, the wiring is standard the OP should see the pin at 1 O'clock light a test lamp IF the plug is wired for a 12 V. feed to power lights, or recharge a battery in the trailer or towed vehicle.
The pin at 3 O'clock will be the feed for the right turn signal. The test light will flash when the turn signal on the tow vehicle is activated with the ignition on. The test lamp should light steadily when the vehicle brake pedal is depressed. The light will be bright.
The pin at 5 O'clock is the electric brake feed. When the brake pedal is depressed the test lamp should light. It may be a faint light or a bright light depending on the gain adjustment on the brake controller inside the tow vehicle. If the tow vehicle has a brake controller. No controller then no light.
The pin at 7 O'clock is a ground. The test lamp should be connected between a 12V. source on the tow vehicle and this pin. The test lamp should light. Note: If the test lamp lit when the pin at 1 O'clock was touched this pin can be used as the 12V. source for checking the ground pin at 7 O'clock. Simply connect the test lamp between the two pins.
The pin at 9 O'clock is the left turn signal feed. With the ignition on and the left turn signal activated the test lamp should flash. When the tow vehicle brake pedal is depressed the lamp should light and it will be bright.
The pin at 11 O'clock is the running lamps. With the running lights turned on the test light should light brightly.
The center pin is quite often wired for back up lights. If the trailer has back up lights this pin has to light a test lamp when the gear selector in the tow vehicle is placed in reverse. The ignition must be on. ( on some newer vehicles the engine must be running for the back up lamps to work). When checking the back up light circuit all precautions must be taken to prevent the vehicle from rolling. The aid of a helper would be advised.
I agree with those who have said there MUST be a converter either built into or added to the tow vehicle in order to make the brake lights function properly on the trailer if the tow vehicle has turn signal lamps independent of the brake lights.
In the OP's case maybe there was never a converter in the MH as no one ever had a use for it or if there was one it has expired and needs replacement.
Lynn
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #16

A lot of us have spent quite a lot of time trying to help the OP to correct his problem.
I'd like to hear from him as to how he is making out.
Lynn
Old 03-14-2017, 08:22 PM   #17

Thanks for all of you that has helped. I have purchased a tail light converter and now everything works as it is suppose to. Thanks again John
lstinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, light, wiring