Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2012, 04:45 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Eng Cleaner

Hi All
Have a GBM F53 with a 2000 V10, 32,300 mi on it, what is a good en gen cleaner to put in 75 gl gas tank
Tganks
AL
AL Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2012, 05:37 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have you asked the engine manfacture to see what they suggest to use, there many to clean junk and the injectors out
Old 08-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #3

Lots of threads on this, but I know people with V10's who swear by "Sea Foam". Not sure how well any of those products work. My experience with automobile engines is that if the injection system is a suspect for poor performance, get the throttle body off and clean it out, but that is for throttle body's only.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I have had very good results with Chevron Fuel Injector Cleaner with Techron. I have used it for years in all my Fuel Injected gas vehicles.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had good luck with Marvel Mystery Oil. You can add it to the gas or the oil.

::Marvel Mystery Oil::

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:14 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Amsoil make an excellent FI cleaner, have used it for years...
They have a very informative web site also...

KE5FTF...Bob & Kathy
Bmaintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:21 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
I have had good luck with Marvel Mystery Oil. You can add it to the gas or the oil.

::Marvel Mystery Oil::

Jon
Use it all the time. Great stuff...
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #8

Your biggest problem, may not be something wrong with the engine, but this crap ethanol laced gas crammed down our throats we have to pay through the nose for.

I dont know about in your F53 chassis owners manual, but in ours, Ford states not to use any types of additives in the gas or oil.
My thinking is though, if we got to deal with this ethanol gas, bad as it is, what if any additives we add to the gas is worse than the laced gas.

If I know our M/H will be sitting like a few weeks or months before its next use, I add in a bottle of the Staybil additive on the fill up before parking just to combat the effects of the ethanol sitting in the tank.
I normally as well, on trips, add in the proper amount of Lucas Fuel Treatment, so as to clean things even further while going down the road.

While all the additives out on the market, are suppose to be so good, & probably are at one point or another, but reality, a good high quality bottle of transmission fluid would probably do the same trick as any of those special blended additives.

Think about this, pump gas when it sits for awhile, the chemicals in it that make gas what it is, will bleed off through venting. Longer it sits & more venting is done, that gas starts to turn to a gummy like state which will not flow like fresh clean gas & in turn will be stopping up stuff.
Now days though, oh my God now we have the ethanol laced in so it makes it even worse if you let it sit.
The gummy like stuff you will find from old stale gas sitting, like if your pulling a carb down to clean it out, the only types of things that will desolve that gummy stuff, is carb cleaners that have Acetone or Toulene in them or those chemicals straight from their own can.
The gum you find, fresh gas, kerosene, diesel fuel, methanol, ethanol, WD40, straight oil, none of those things will even touch that gummy mess in an attempt to remove it in short order. Maybe sitting like a month or two, it might have some affect at attempting to remove it, but not in a short order like we would be thinking in adding additives to our gas.

In my years of lawn mower repair, which have been a lot, 95% of the mower engine repairs I had to do, were from old stale gummy pump gas stopping up the carbs & leaning the engine out. A single cylinder engine will not run if it cant get gas.
The other 5% of repairs left, was a failure of a working part inside the engine & even some of that, like valves, could even go back to bad gas & running lean.

Now dont go & get a can of Acetone or Toulene & pour in your tank thinking it is 10 times better to use, because when it cleans the system, it really cleans it up. Gas hoses will come apart on the inside stopping up fuel filters, plastic stuff will turn hard, crack & come apart & before you know it some of that cleaned out stuff will make its way to the carb or injectors & you really have problems then.
Best advice, dont let the gas sit & age or vent so those chemicals can be retained within the gas to keep it fresh.
Neil
Old 08-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
A can of seafoam per each 20 gallons of fuel will protect everything in storage or sitting.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
A can of seafoam per each 20 gallons of fuel will protect everything in storage or sitting.
Sea Foam says:
To add volatility and stabilize fuel for up to 2 years, add 1 oz. Sea Foam to each gallon of fuel.
So their 16 oz can only does 16 gal of gas.

For Diesel
On a regular basis, add one ounce of Sea Foam to your fuel tank for every gallon of diesel fuel. This will control moisture, clean fuel lines and injector pumps, and add lubricity to your fuel.

Sea Foam | How to Use Sea Foam Motor Treatment
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I sucked out the gas in my Winnie & burned in my Accord as we would be in one place for a year...
Will put in some fresh gas for our short trip to Bastrop...
I also put in a stabilizer...
Yes, ethanol is CRAP... :(

KE5FTF...Bob & Kathy
Bmaintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote