Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2018, 12:29 AM   #1

Engine Access

My engine won't start. There's another thread about that. Thanks to all who posted. FYI, after changing he fuel filters, they weren't gelled up and diesel is getting through the secondary filter fine. So, the fuel pump is working.

I must now have a Cummins mechanic check the injector system, etc. Please help me know what must be removed in my bedroom to gain top access? (See specs on my coach below.) For example, do the closet doors have to come out and bottom floor track removed? How about the electric cord reel box?

Jerry
2008 Country Coach Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31611 37' tag, Cummins ISL-400, Dish Trav'ler, MCDs, Techma, liftup Sony, fireplace, 1440W solar 600A lithium, 2014 JKUR
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Can't help with access issue --But Did you fill the filters prior to installing them ? Did you read your Manual Prior to servicing your Filters ?
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:52 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On my Magna the doors must come off, the bottom track removed and then the engine cover. Cord reel box stays in place.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:32 PM   #4

Here is what mine looks like, yours may be different be a 37ft. Open the back door and see if you can see the bolts through the floor.
2 stroker
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170331_142957.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	188482
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:47 PM   #5

This is from my CC manual. 470 Allure.

The closet doors and bottom track need to be removed. There are twelve bolts.

You can see the outline of the panel when looking in the engine compartment, on the underside of the roof.

Brian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 470 Allure Rear Engine Access Excerpt.pdf (413.4 KB, 49 views)
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:57 PM   #6

That is a good find
The hard part of mine was getting the bolts out for the first time, then I had to use a 2x4 from the back prying off a picking eye to push it up then it weighted about 75 lbs. When I went back together I only replace 4 bolts because I remove it every year to lube the exhaust brake.
2 storker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:13 AM   #7

I really would a couple of folks help me understand a couple of things here, because I'm trying to learn more about DP's and especially engine types, locations & maintenance issues in the event we ever decide to upgrade.

I looked up this coach online and it appears to have a side radiator. So reading post this I'm asking myself:
• Does this fella in fact have a side radiator
• And if it does, I've opened the back of several DP's with a side rad and the whole engine is right there to work on
• Now if it has a rear rad location then I understand why you'd have to go through the bedroom
• So what is it about this engine or this particular coach design that makes removing all these bedroom panels necessary to get access to the engine or should I say injectors?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:07 AM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
My guess is that when he called Cummins (or whoever road service) they told him they would may need access to engine.

Many service provider don't want the responsibility of any interior work...

It might not even need access, but over the phone the service provider don't know, and is covering all bases, some coaches offer easy top of engine access and others not so much.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:58 AM   #9

I have the same coach. It does have a side radiator. Bedroom access is required for access to the top of the engine. Most other things can be done via engine bay door.

I have replaced thermostat, water pump, belt tensioner, vent hoses, fuel filters, engine coolant, oil filters, etc etc without removing bedroom access.

Bedroom access would also be used for an in frame overhaul. Not something that I hope to have to do.....

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
Old 01-15-2018, 02:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
Bedroom access would also be used for an in frame overhaul. Not something that I hope to have to do.....

Brian
Two more things.
1) Oh ok. So in frame overhaul is rebuilding the engine "in frame"—OR—without having to remove the engine. Is that right?

2) I thought most DP's with a side rad when you opened that coach back access door that entire engine is pretty much all right there to work on including the top. But obviously I'm wrong about that. So, do all side rad DP's, require this bedroom access to get to the top of the engine?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #11

HD truck engines can be 'rebuilt' without removing the block from the vehicle. Thus; "In Frame".
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:25 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
On my 2000 Dutch Star 3851 on a Freightliner XX frame, the engine cover had to be opened for air filter replacement.
DennyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Two more things.
1) Oh ok. So in frame overhaul is rebuilding the engine "in frame"—OR—without having to remove the engine. Is that right?

2) I thought most DP's with a side rad when you opened that coach back access door that entire engine is pretty much all right there to work on including the top. But obviously I'm wrong about that. So, do all side rad DP's, require this bedroom access to get to the top of the engine?
1) In frame - yes. The Cummins ISL (and other medium duty diesels in DPs) are wet sleeve cylinders, which means the cylinder sleeves (liners) can be removed from the block and replaced with new sleeves if something "catastrophic" occurs and the cylinder sleeves need to be replaced. This is contrasted to "native block" style engines that need to have the block removed and bored/decked if the cylinder is damaged. Sleeves/liners can be replaced without the engine block being removed (ie in frame). The liners are removed/replaced under the heads (the top). This would require the space provided by the bedroom access.

2) Yes there is access to the top of the engine from the engine bay door, however it would be tight to access the back rocker cover/head bolts - hence the bedroom access. I have accessed my turbo - drivers side top, middle/back of the engine without going through the bedroom access - it is a bit of a reach from the engine bay door.

I have worked on both side rad and back rad DPs. Side rad coaches are so much easier. I will not ever buy another coach with a back rad.

Brian
Old 01-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Two more things.

I'm pretty confident in saying yes but don't let that scare you..depending on the coach top engine access can be relatively easy (on mine I move the mattress and then there is a hatch that pivots open...takes 5 minutes).
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine