Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2018, 12:22 PM   #1

Engine and generator will not start

I have a 2004 Holiday Rambler Monaco on which neither the generator or the engine will start. I'm thinking there is a fuel issue as this is all i can think of that is common to both. Am i missing something? Any troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated!
Mbrown61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2018, 01:33 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

I'd think bad gas first. How long has it been sitting, and how old is the gas in the tank? You could try starting the generator and the engine using a gas can and a fuel line to see if the engine(s) will run. If so, you'll know the tank will have to be drained and possibly cleaned out. Then a complete flush and cleaning of the fuel system would be in order.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #3

Need more information please. Is it cranking and just not firing? Have you checked for spark? Can you hear the fuel pump operating?
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:44 PM   #4

There is both a gas and diesel in that year. Which do you have?
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:08 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
There is both a gas and diesel in that year. Which do you have?
Yeah, bunches of them and confused as to what an HR Monaco is, as well.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 03:52 PM   #6

How much gas is in the tank? If less than a 1/4 the generator will not get fuel . If you got a propane generator , make sure the propane is turned on.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:04 PM   #7

I'd be glad to help, but with so very little information...I can't.
This utter lack of description reminds me of my children when they would say, "Dad my car is freaking out! I would propose we call a priest, and have it exorcised. Or we shoot it, because clearly there is NO hope now. I tried to explain also, that a car does not "turn on". Piston engines do, however go thru a moment of cranking. This is usually caused by the turning of a key. Often an electrical current is rushed to the starter motor. During the cranking process, fuel is delivered to the engine as is spark, in the case of gasoline engines. Diesels might need glow plugs to be heated...
Old 01-27-2018, 04:08 PM   #8

It cranks but doesn't start, the generator does the same. Haven't checked for spark and not sure what the fuel pump sounds like. When I listened for the fuel pump all I heard was the air compressor, at least I think it was that.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:13 PM   #9

Diesel. Both generator and engine crank but don't start. I don't get a WTS light either but the grid heater circuit is good.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:13 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
As all the previous posters have said, we need more information. You mention spark, so I assume gas powered, but the mention of an air compressor is puzzling. Is it a Ford or Workhorse chassis, what engine, etc.?

Bob & Donna
Old 01-27-2018, 04:15 PM   #11

It hasn't been sitting long, just a few months and I'm pretty sure the gas is ok
Old 01-27-2018, 04:20 PM   #12

I'm thinking what I am hearing is an air compressor but I'm not 100% sure. The sound seems to be coming from somewhere near the front passenger side.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:21 PM   #13

The engine is a Cummins diesel, I'm not sure about the generator but it ous diesel.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:34 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbrown61 View Post
It cranks but doesn't start, the generator does the same. Haven't checked for spark and not sure what the fuel pump sounds like. When I listened for the fuel pump all I heard was the air compressor, at least I think it was that.
Quote:
Diesel. Both generator and engine crank but don't start. I don't get a WTS light either but the grid heater circuit is good.
Quote:
It hasn't been sitting long, just a few months and I'm pretty sure the gas is ok
If it's a diesel, there's no spark to check. The air compressor is engine driven, if it's not running, the air compressor isn't running, unless someone installed an auxiliary air compressor. Maybe you're hearing a vacuum pump for HVAC controls.

Then you say the gas is ok. I'm confused. A WTS (wait to start?) light is usually in diesels with glow plugs, maybe a grid heater, but I've not seen one except in glow plug equipped engines. The grid heater comes on instantly and heats air drawn into the engine, so you don't need to wait for it. If you tell us what engine, we might be able to give more helpful tips.

If the fuel filter has been changed, you could have air in the fuel lines, which can be very hard to get purged from the lines. Some diesels have priming pumps, but until we know more, can't help you further.

Cummins had 8.3 ISC and 5.9 ISB engines in RVs in 2004. You might have a year earlier chassis, so check carefully as to what you have. Cummins also makes Onan generators and installed many diesel units. The generator should have identifying labels on it.

Bob & Donna

Tags
engine, generator