Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #1

Engine Battery Removal 2000 Pace Arrow Ford Chasis

Does anyone have any hints for removing and replacing an engine battery on a 2000 Pace Arrow with Ford Engine? The cable for the negative terminal is so short that I can't get the battery far enough out of the compartment to be able to disconnect and remove the battery. I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
DuaneInks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Cut the cable and replace it with a longer one once battery removed?
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
isa

Triple E Owners Club
Why can't you remove the positive and negative cables from the battery posts?
isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #4

The battery is not on a slide rack, and space in the compartment is so cramped that I can't get my hand back in their with a wrench to disconnect the negative termnal. I got the positive terminal disconnected, because it was near the front of the compartment. Thanks for your interest, and any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
isa

Triple E Owners Club
Do you have side mounted terminals on the battery? If so, there are small ratcheting battery wrenches that you can buy. I have two of them, one is 5/16 and the other is 10mm. They are made by Pittsburgh and have GM battery wrench printed on them. I got mine at Harbor Freight.
isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #6

I ran into the battery cables problem when replacing both my house batteries and cranking battery last year. For the cranking battery, I had to buy an adapter stud that fit on the battery from AutoZone that allowed enough stretch and enough play to get the nut on and started. For the house batteries, I had to buy a new positive cable - on both, the location of the studs were off just enough to cause problems. If I were to replace the battery cable, I'd take the old one off and take it with me as some of the cable fittings vary in thickness and there wasn't much of a selection at Autozone.
Lynxgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:07 AM   #7

My barrery has top-mounted terminals. The negative terminal with which I am having a problem has an unusual type of connection. Not the ulsual bolt/clamp that the positive terminal has. That's making the inaccessibility problem even more difficult. Thanks for your interest, though. I really appreciate it.
Duane
Old 06-07-2011, 06:16 AM   #8

I will also try to find some kind of adaptor to solve the problem once I get the battery out. Thanks for the idea. Extending the cable seems to be a good approach,
if I'm not able to disconnect the other end of the cable from the engine compartment. Thanks for your suggestion. I sure appreciate your interest.
Duane
Old 06-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most of the time fleetwood just ran the ground cable to the frame. Can you follow the ground cable to the frame and remove the bolt? Then remove the cable with the battery.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Most of the time fleetwood just ran the ground cable to the frame. Can you follow the ground cable to the frame and remove the bolt? Then remove the cable with the battery.
Thanks for the suggestion. As soon as I get a chance, I'll check to see if I can do that. Appreciate your interest!
Duane