Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2018, 08:42 AM   #1

Engine Bay Insulation

The aluminized insulation in the top of my diesel pusher engine bay is deteriorating. Is there any realistic and somewhat easy way to replace or repair it short of dropping the engine? Mainly above the turbo area. Coach has a side radiator. HVAC tape ???

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2018, 08:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I used the HVAC "metal tape" to cover some holes and places where the foam-like insulation was coming off or was torn. Works fine. I wiped the surface with acetone first to remove any grease/dirt. That HVAC tape is some tough/sticky tape.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:06 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Engine Bay Insulation

I cleaned it off real good both sides coach and material and I used clear silicone stuck it back up and put something there to hold it and it stayed for three years so far. You can take what ever you put up there to hold in place after a couple hrs or as long as you can longer better Good luck
highsticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:59 AM   #4

I cut aluminum sheets to fit each section/area. Then had my dealer screw them into place thus holding the insulation in place and helping to reflect the heat down. Looks like factory and will never come down.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #5

Each plan sounds great, but how do I access the area? I'm no small guy and that's a looooong reach (64") to get to the areas going bad? I have a massive air filter laying sideways across the back engine access, reservoirs and other stuff there too.

I like the idea of an aluminum panel/s but no way can I reach back far enough to secure it with screws. I would assume it would screw into the wooden coach floor at random locations.

If I can get it clean enough the HVAC tape sounds like a plan too. Probably multiple strips of it.

Gotta figure out my access plan.

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:13 PM   #6

Just got back from the big box store. Got some 3M aluminum HVAC tape, 2.5 wide ($$) . I try to clean up the area and give it a try. Thanks for the advice.

I'll let ya'll know how it works out.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:49 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
My insulation was hanging down from the engine compartment ceiling but still complete. I used "3M heavy duty spray adhesive". Cleaned it off with alcohol, sprayed both sides, let it sit for a few minutes then pushed it up. It has stayed for 5 years....

Good luck
Dave
Old 03-24-2018, 11:12 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I use Loctite heaveweight water & heat resistant spray adhesive (blue can) to put mine back on. Clean as much as possible with acetone, spray both surfaces a couple of times according to instructions on the can and press back in place. The piece on the radiator cover area under the closet and the piece above the radiator in the back of the engine bay have been back in place for about a year and a half. This stuff seems to be really sticky, I figure if they come off again I'll just stick them back with the spray adhesive.
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:00 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Barry, I like the aluminum sheeting idea too. You must have at least one floor access panel inside the coach. Can you make some cardboard templates, cut out your aluminum and then reach the back areas through the floor access.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I used self tapping screws and large fender washers when I installed the foil covered felt from Lowes. $20 for a roll to do most of engine compartment.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:32 AM   #11

Checking my insulation more carefully I noticed the aluminum side is in pretty bad shape. 3M tape would be useless to repair it. The worn out area is about 20 x 28 and hard to reach upside down to apply anything easily.

So, plan B. I ordered a Thermo Tec Ultra-Lite Insulating Floor Mat 24x36 and 10 rare earth magnets.

I already have some lightweight 1x1 angle. The mat has grommets to tie it in place in a normal configuration. What I intend to do is stretch it tight onto 2 38 inch angles first. I'm only using the long side of the rectangle. The mat and angles can be folded up to get it behind the air filter housing.

Where the rare earth magnets come into play is that I'm mounting them to the front side angle to match to the big metal fender washers on the engine bay bulkhead (5 of them over 38 inches).

I also will attach several other magnets on the back side angle. The plan is to cover the backside magnets so they don't grab onto the filter housing. Reach to the bulkhead and let the magnets attach to the fender washers, then remove the cover I put on the other angle and lift up the angle and let it attach to the rear coach framework. This should give me a new protective mat good for 1000 F continuous, 2000 F max protection stretched between the angles mainly over the turbo area.

The only thing I need to remove is the bracket for the drivers side rear
access panel support and just add a prop to support it until I'm finished.

I just need to carefully mount the magnets to match the fender washers.

IF I have any sag, I will just run some stainless wire cross corners of the angle brackets.

Decided on doing it this way because it would be miserable to try to reach way back there secure screws and then try to work upside down to fasten the rear fasteners. I'd have to remove the air filter housing and baffles. I can feel the big ring clamps but can't see them. If it doesn't work plan C............but I'm still using the TT mat.

Just waiting for parts to arrive.

To be continued...................
Old 03-26-2018, 05:43 AM   #12

One more thing. The woven aluminum side to the factory insulation had separated from the insulation pad and was hanging down all split and worn away. That's why I've gone this route to come up with a replacement solution short of replacing the entire factory setup.

Cost to have it replaced would have been $$$$.

Now to keep looking for other repair issues not yet discovered.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:40 PM   #13

Post some pics please. My DSDP has some kind of rubber mat that sticks to an (I believe) aluminum sheet with some cross strips that is the only thing left holding it up. Need to do something with it.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:52 AM   #14

Be glad too...........just waiting for the parts to arrive to get started. Certainly not the cheapest way to fix it, but based on how difficult it is to access (at least for me), its the lesser of a bunch of evils.

Dealerships and mobile repair guys wanted $$$$ to replace the insulation and even then it would have tied up my coach for who knows how long.

I like a challenge anyway.

Tags
engine