Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2021, 01:16 PM   #1

Engine Not Running Warning while Parked

We started having this problem around October of 2021 while parked at a site for 4 days.

Suddenly, after being parked for several days, the dash lit up with the warning lights "ENG NOT RUNNING" with a constant beeping. We were unable to stop the warning because we couldn't start the engine because the slides were out and we couldn't pull the slides in because it thought the engine was engaged.

A repairman come out and showed us how to remove a wire off a contactor solenoid located in the battery compartment as a temporary work around which got us home. In order to get home we had several stops and had to recreate the work around to start the engine and disable the alarm, otherwise every single time we parked, the coach repeated the problem.

Once in the shop, they were unable to recreate the problem. However, in an attempt they replaced the ignition switch and several relays located under the driver's seat.

We did a test run for 5 days and it worked perfectly. Now we are into our first week of an 8 month adventure and it is doing it again.

Does anyone have an advice to offer on next steps to diagnose and correct this issue.

We have an email to Monaco but have not heard back.
We have an email to our repair shop don't feel confident they have any other suggestions.
jfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2021, 01:25 PM   #2

Posting exactly what model you have will help.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:26 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Find the relay that lights the "ENG NOT Running" light and verify that it has a good ground. You may find out that the ground spider ground connection point is bad or the relay itself is bad.
I could be wrong, but it's a start. If not work your way back from there.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:56 AM   #4

A couple of clarifications, please. The dash warning lighted up without anyone having turned the key or anything else related to starting of the engine? Is the coach a diesel pusher, or a gasoline powered chassis and chassis manufacturer?

Once you wire from the solenoid, does everything return to normal and operate as it does when things are normal?
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:26 PM   #5

Sorry for the lack of info. First time users. We have a 2011 Monaco Diplomat DFT 43. It is a diesel pusher. Yes, the dash lights up as if you tried to start the engine, but no one is at the drivers seat. The key is not in the ignition. It is as if there is a relay or solenoid that is getting a signal to start. The only way to make it stop is turn the chassis battery cutoff to off. This is only a temporary fix. It does not correct the problem.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:18 PM   #6

Has the RV been subjected to wind and rain?

I ask because my Bounder used to get squirrely when it got wet. After it dried out, problem would go away. Now that I think about it, never did find the problem. Just learned to live with it.

But perhaps before you're having a problem again you might have a shop look for connectors that hang down low or are subjected to water from the road or drainage from the roof. Try to find one with moisture inside the connector. Once identified, WD40 would dry it out and then slather it with dielectric grease.

I like the idea of checking for a bad ground too.

Good luck!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:32 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrazier View Post
We started having this problem around October of 2021 while parked at a site for 4 days.

Suddenly, after being parked for several days, the dash lit up with the warning lights "ENG NOT RUNNING" with a constant beeping. We were unable to stop the warning because we couldn't start the engine because the slides were out and we couldn't pull the slides in because it thought the engine was engaged.

A repairman come out and showed us how to remove a wire off a contactor solenoid located in the battery compartment as a temporary work around which got us home. In order to get home we had several stops and had to recreate the work around to start the engine and disable the alarm, otherwise every single time we parked, the coach repeated the problem.

Once in the shop, they were unable to recreate the problem. However, in an attempt they replaced the ignition switch and several relays located under the driver's seat.

We did a test run for 5 days and it worked perfectly. Now we are into our first week of an 8 month adventure and it is doing it again.

Does anyone have an advice to offer on next steps to diagnose and correct this issue.

We have an email to Monaco but have not heard back.
We have an email to our repair shop don't feel confident they have any other suggestions.
Following this one. I originally thought I had this issue with mine taken care of but after I got a ECM update it came back so I’m thinking I never got it solved to begin with. If I can figure out how to link my post about this I will. (Gauges flashing back and forth) I would love to know if you find the problem because on mine it won’t turn off. I changed the ignition switch and key while I had it out. It still has power on 2 legs with the key off I don’t think this should have power on 2 legs. I can’t find a solenoid but know where the relay is. I’m currently troubleshooting the BIRD but can’t get away from the idea it’s a bad ground, ignition solenoid or relay. Just got back from a 2000 mile trip where I had to pull the relay and turn off the gauges/ignition circuit with the disconnect. Problem is when it’s plugged in and gets to a certain voltage the bird kicks in and turns it on somehow with the big boy relay. with the chassis battery switch off. Now when I’m plugged in i disable the big boy with a switch inline and charge the chassis with a battery minder when I’m plugged in.
I have a good bit of schematics but not all but definitely not a complete set. I have the ignition schematic but am pounding my head because I know it’s something simple like a bad relay, solenoid or ground etc. no luck for me as of yet. I’ve chased this since I got the coach a few months ago. I changed the chassis battery board as well In the rear battery management compartment same problem persists... Did you change batteries lately?
KtownKajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:19 PM   #8

I want to thank those who have tried to help. First, this issue happens rain or shine, so moisture is not the problem.

My batteries were replace two years ago and where recently checked out at our RV shop and are good.

We are now experiencing the same thing where the engine will not shut off just by turning the key. There is a small square 5 pin relay outside under the drivers seat that I simply pull out and the engine shuts off.

I indicated in a prior post, the ignition key switch was replaced and did nothing to fix this. I still have power going to the ignition because my outside steps will not stay out when the door is closed.

I was thinking about replacing the circuit board in the battery compartment, so I am glad you said you did that and it did not fix the problem. I currently have ordered every relay and solenoid located in the battery compartment and plan to replace everything once they all come in. If that does not correct the problem, it looks like I will have to pay a service technician who may or may not be able to fix it.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:47 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Changed the Battery disconnect solenoid on the right inside the battery control box in the rear above the chassis batteries, and the solenoid with the board in the same compartment. I’m currently looking for a ignition solenoid which is listed, but no where to be found.
I’m attaching the ignition circuit schematic that I have. I’m pretty sure it’s not complete and haven’t been able to find the “solenoid” on this circuit. If someone with a background in reading and understanding will chime one we might have this thing solved soon. I’m not real good at schematics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3538BB39-2CCD-4EE1-AD78-7385BF5EABFD.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	324848  
Old 04-13-2021, 03:12 PM   #10

As a former electrical tech, I am fascinated by the two stories. I also noted that you have the same make & model of coach and that tends to support the belief that you have the same issue. What I don't have any idea about is what the unit is that is under your seats. Is that the BIRD unit that was referenced? I have been poking about the internet and did find this information from Intellitec about the unit, but it doesn't seem to have relays and I suspect is located near the batteries.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:42 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
As a former electrical tech, I am fascinated by the two stories. I also noted that you have the same make & model of coach and that tends to support the belief that you have the same issue. What I don't have any idea about is what the unit is that is under your seats. Is that the BIRD unit that was referenced? I have been poking about the internet and did find this information from Intellitec about the unit, but it doesn't seem to have relays and I suspect is located near the batteries.
The bird
https://www.camperid.com/intellitec/...00839-000.html
Is part of the battery charging system as I understand it.. it is located in the rear battery control box. The box under the drivers seat is is the relays and fuses
Old 04-14-2021, 06:12 PM   #12

Yes, we have the exact same make and model and yes we have the exact same problem. What is crazy is I have sent this request for help from Monaco and so far nothing but crickets. The BIRD is located at the rear in the battery control box. Mine is on the door. I have a new one that just came in, but I doubt that will fix this. The electrical box under the drivers seat is full of small square 5 pin relays and fuses.
I also have ordered every relay, solenoid and contact switch that I could find on the internet that is located in the rear battery control box. They should all arrive next week. If anyone knows where the ignition relay is, that could be solution. Please help.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:28 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, we have the exact same make and model and yes we have the exact same problem. What is crazy is I have sent this request for help from Monaco and so far nothing but crickets. The BIRD is located at the rear in the battery control box. Mine is on the door. I have a new one that just came in, but I doubt that will fix this. The electrical box under the drivers seat is full of small square 5 pin relays and fuses.
I also have ordered every relay, solenoid and contact switch that I could find on the internet that is located in the rear battery control box. They should all arrive next week. If anyone knows where the ignition relay is, that could be solution. Please help.
I moved all of my relays 1 spot to the right and nothing changed. I’m wondering about my DRL circuit because I have a fuse that blows but when I remove the relay it does noe it’s also connected to the ignition. Here is my box under the drivers seat compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	82B35C9F-4AC1-4617-870E-65ADC295D8B3.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	481.6 KB
ID:	325012  
Old 04-28-2021, 05:16 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
JFrazier I Wanted to check and see if you had any luck with this ignition circuit issue so far?

Tags
engine