Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2019, 01:38 PM   #1

Engine Shutdown w/ABS Warning

Ahhh! For the simplicity of a Ford powered C-class.

In October we bought a 2005 Itascha on a Freightliner chassis with a 350 HP Cat. Everything ran fine until it went into storage in late November.

Went to the storage lot today intending to take our first trip of the year. Engine started fine. All warning lights eventually went out. Stepped on brake prior to releasing the air brake. The engine died and the ABS warning light turned on.

Multiply attempts with same results (ABS warning light now continuously on.)

Freightliner manual stated once speed got above 6 mph and if the ABS was functioning correctly, the light would go off. Tried that in the storage lot. No luck.

Seems weird that a ABS warning would shutdown the engine.

Suggestions on fix appreciated.

Bob
Homeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2019, 03:26 PM   #2

Maybe 2 unrelated things.

Check that the levelers are up, slides are in and any other lockout device isn't shutting down the engine.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:36 PM   #3

Ok , you're right on the weird , portion of the problem .

JMHO; I'd think this may well be an issue with wiring damage due to rodents , causing an interruption of power to the Cat ECM or power from the brake light wiring cross feeding to the ECM.
Non functioning ABS system should not shut the engine down.
Even air system issues should only produce warning lights and buzzers.

Do you air gauges read normal pressure with the engine at idle ?
Is the coach , airing up to ride height properly ? Quickly ?

Check with the storage facility , and see if others have reported rodent damage to their stored units.

If all else fails , call Freightliners free help line , with your serial number,

1-800-385-4357
Old 04-21-2019, 04:42 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick responses.

All warning lights except the ABS were off. I checked, levelers up and slides in.

Thanks for the Freightliner help number. I will give them a call tomorrow. Hope I don't have to get the unit towed from the storage lot. A lot of constricting 90 degree turns.

Wife and dogs are getting antsy, need to get this fixed ASAP

Bob
Old 04-21-2019, 04:58 PM   #5

Sorry Skip. I didn't answer your air pressure questions.

Yup, front and rear systems aired up normally. Ride height was normal.

Bob
Old 04-21-2019, 10:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeroid View Post
Stepped on brake prior to releasing the air brake. The engine died and the ABS warning light turned on.

Multiply attempts with same results (ABS warning light now continuously on.)

Freightliner manual stated once speed got above 6 mph and if the ABS was functioning correctly, the light would go off. Tried that in the storage lot. No luck.

Bob
OK Bob, I need a little clarification here .
Does the engine stop every time you step on the brake ?
Because from this portion of your post , it would appear you had the coach moving in the lot, in an attempt to get the ABS light out by going over 6 MPH.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:40 AM   #7

Engine shuts down everytime. Trip around storage lot nearly depeleted starting batteries from all the engine re-starts.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeroid View Post
Engine shuts down everytime. Trip around storage lot nearly depeleted starting batteries from all the engine re-starts.
More questions .

I'm assuming you can get the coach to move if you don't touch the brake pedal , correct ?
Have you been having to use the , Boost /Emergency start switch on the dash to start the engine ?
Have you tried touching the brake while holding the Boost switch?
This is assuming the coach batteries are charged and connected.
Does the dash volt gauge give a reading that would indicate the alternator is working properly ? 14+ volts ?
Is it cold enough where you are that the engines intake manifold heaters could be cycling ? Below 45 F ?

A combination , of low battery voltage , low alternator output , or high 12 volt system loads ( intake heaters and brake lights ) may be dropping power to the coach's , engine, trans and ABS , ECM's to cause the shut down , these ECMs won't function properly ; if at all ; below 10 volts.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:13 PM   #9

Coach moves if I don't touch the brake pedal. House batteries are dead, just using the chassis batteries for starting. Have not checked the battery voltage gauge when I visit the rig tomorrow. We live in NW Arkansas, temperature has been in the 70s and 80s for the last week. We actually have the AC going at the house (we retired from Alaska 3 years ago and not yet acclimated.)

Talked to my local RV repair shop and Freightliner. Both are guessing rodent damage to wiring harness. Both also said "this is a new one!"

I will keep you posted and thanks for your answers.

Bob
Old 04-23-2019, 01:25 AM   #10

I had similar trouble - water in fuel at one time. Loss of secondary air with bouncing needles, etc.

It was all the lousy daisy-chain wiring behind the LBCU (dash display and gauges).

I always suspect corroded electrical connections.

When I troubleshoot I always grab a can of CRC contact cleaner and lubricant - as well as some dielectric grease. Take pictures of the suspect wiring bundle and wire routing, remove all the old push on connectors (spade lugs or Molex pin connectors), spray them with CRC, wait to dry, dab a minor amount of dielectric grease and reconnect. Hit all the connectors you can find for the circuits involved. Recrimp the crimped connection while you're at it and don't forget to remove/sand any grounds that go to the chassis/frame.

My MH is an '08 - this simple procedure has fixed; cluster gauges and warning lights on the LBCU (including low-power shutdown), water heater, electric steps, water separator alarm, basement lights, etc.

I think the only real weak link with Freightliner is the electrical connections, especially when the chassis is over 6 years old. Yours is a 2005 - so I'd check for bad connections behind the LBCI - remove each, spray, let dry and replace - do them all including each gauge - then see if the problem goes away.

Here's what is behind my dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LBCU Wiring.png
Views:	81
Size:	550.0 KB
ID:	243222  
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:26 AM   #11

Have to agree w Skip. Sounds like rodent damage, especially if all was fine prior to to storage.

I know on the Ford chassis that the ABS light will trip if a wiring harness chassis ground is bad.

Look for the telltale signs (droppings, bare wire, bits of loose frayed wires, chewed foam or fabrics, bits of food or chewed containers, and or smell. )

With all the different things you have going on, that’s where I would start. Sorry, and best of luck.
jasonleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:04 AM   #12

"House batteries are dead"
These things do crazy things when batteries are low/dead. Even though they are the house batteries they will have an affect on chassis things.
PRO-BILT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-BILT View Post
"House batteries are dead"
These things do crazy things when batteries are low/dead. Even though they are the house batteries they will have an affect on chassis things.
X2 , with the engine running all the batteries in the coach and the alternator are interconnected.

If one of the dead batteries is internally shorted ; ANYTHING can happen with the coaches 12 volt systems .
The chassis batteries will try and equalize with the coach batteries and the alternator will be overpowered trying to charge them all.
Pull the coach batteries and have them charged and tested ; before you try anything else.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:05 PM   #14

My understanding is the coach batteries are totally separated from the chassis batteries. The only way the chassis batteries get charged is from the alternator. They don't charge from the generator or the coach plugged in to 120.

I probably going to install an Echo to address charging issue once I get this problem solved.

Bob

Tags
abs, engine