Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2023, 02:43 PM   #1

Engine Starting issues

2020 Discovery LXE. Cummins CM2350

I am in a "cold" climate. MH has been in driveway all winter. I've done my best to start it up every week or so. Recently, it has had problems staying started. It runs for a 15-30 seconds and shuts down. The firefly says that the battery voltage is dropping to almost 0volts,then comes back up when engine shuts down. Dash shows 13-14. If I keep the RPM's up to about 1000, it seems to run. Any thoughts? is this just a "cold weather" issue. I have not taken the rig out for a drive since it was parked in October.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2023, 03:19 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you have summer blend fuel in cold climate it's clogged with gelled fuel and starving for fuel.

You do nothing but harm to an engine starting and idling. Let it sit until you are ready for travel, whether it's 6 months or a year from now.
Old 03-21-2023, 03:30 PM   #3

Yup, if you can't get the OIL, not just coolant up to temperature, don't start it.

And that will take 25+ highway miles!
Old 03-21-2023, 04:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Yup, if you can't get the OIL, not just coolant up to temperature, don't start it.

And that will take 25+ highway miles!
I have been able to get the oil and water temp up when running it. I'm preparing to start travelling in the middle of next month. Temps are already in the 40's during the day. I also have a block heater activated. Are you saying I shouldn't drive it till the summer? I lived in it during the winter of '20-'21 and had no problems.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gballenger View Post
I have been able to get the oil and water temp up when running it. I'm preparing to start travelling in the middle of next month. Temps are already in the 40's during the day. I also have a block heater activated. Are you saying I shouldn't drive it till the summer? I lived in it during the winter of '20-'21 and had no problems.

I think what they said was don’t idle the engine unless you are going to drive it to get it up to FULL operating temperature. You would be better to check to make sure that your engine batteries are being charged while hooked to shore power. Start it the day before you leave and get it up to temp.
Yes the block heater helps as the oil flows better at startup, but you should still get it up to temp, if not just wait till departure day.
In all likelihood, once you pull out of the driveway and get an hour under your belt you won’t have any problems with the engine idling or the batteries staying charged.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 04:18 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
That is my understanding as well. If you idle for short amount of time without bringing the engine up to operating temps, you run the risk of moisture build up. I have heard it is better to let the engine sit vs what you are doing. Works for my CAT C-13. Hope this helps.

Tags
engine