Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2021, 04:38 PM   #1

Engine Temperature Check

My 2014 Phaeton ISL 380 (rear radiator, Freightliner) has been a great coach. However, In the last few years I have noticed the engine temp running higher, particularly on flat pavement and warm temperatures. What used to be mid-180s to low-190s is now consistently 207-208 in warmer temps. Under load, it began hitting 216-217 before pulling out of it. I have been told not to worry about anything under 220 if I'm keeping the rpm up. While the radiator has been externally cleaned regularly, we recently checked the pump, changed the thermostat, changed the fan clutch, pulled and pressure washed both the charge cooler and the radiator. Result: Fan more obvious when it comes on, kept max temp to 214 while cycling. This was on the W I40 grade coming out of Needles CA and a 110 degree day. All good news. However, with fan off, flat road, it still likes 207-208, behavior that is different from its early days. A slight load will move it up from there until the fan engages. Contrast that with 183-185 in cool weather not under heavy load. Since we never hit the alarm temp, I'm not too concerned of over heating. Freightliner could not give me a typical for this chassis. I'm curious what others are seeing on their digital temp gauge under various driving conditions.
Mike
ODaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2021, 05:26 PM   #2

My experience on I-40 westbound; from Needles ; wouldn't help , I'm on the climb before 10 am , and temps probably only in low 80s in late March on my trip north to avoid the heat, on the Parker Strip.
Tehachapi climb on 58 after crossing the desert can see an increase , if I get behind trucks that drop my speed , hydraulic rad fan will cycle OFTEN but temp holds below 205.

Have you considered a temp sensor change ?

BTW . This sign on the CA I 40 after the summit , I always caption with " I don't need services I'm looking for water and can't find any . "
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	I 40 West Bound.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	334102  
Old 06-29-2021, 05:38 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
All three of my ISL's have run in that 180 -185 range in average weather on flat ground. When climbing with my current coach, if the A/C is off, the temps run up to 210-212 and the fan cycles on and brings it back down below 200. When the A/C is on, the gauge doesn't climb much on a grade....fan already running on high.

What's your trans temp running? Mine usually runs about 10 degrees less than the engine....174 on average. I do see higher temps under certain conditions when the trans heats up, like in bumper to bumper traffic. The trans cooler is VERY basic, so no way it can be an issue. I don't know if there is any condition that can make the Allison run warmer all the time, increasing engine temp.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:48 AM   #4

Thanks gentlemen. It appears in comparison that I run a little hotter than typical. I have heard that the side radiator rigs run cooler and at the same time, the rear radiator rigs hotter. The growth in running temp on mine has been the main concern. For the first couple years of ownership I enjoyed how cool it did run even when in the Mojave early Summer. As for the trans temp, mine too tends to run a bit under engine temp but not following the engine temp spikes. On a long steady flat run it can run with engine temp. Sensor is a possibility and one I haven't previously considered. That's about the only thing left to try. One mechanic suggested the particulate filter being dirty but there are no other symptoms to go along with that such as (suggested) Exhaust Gas High Temp or lack of ReGen. If there is anyone else out there with a rear radiator rig that has been happily enjoying high running temps without issue, please let me know. Its the 216-217 that got my attention. Particularly when the thermostat starts opening at 180.
ODaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:25 PM   #5

The national truck maintenance council has found that the typical truck radiator loses 1% of its cooling capacity per year, even with perfect maintenance. In our motor homes, sitting for months at a time is far from perfect radiator maintenance. This could be part of your problem. You could be down 7% or more in cooling capacity.
RV Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:44 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I run with a Scan Gauge D. I see my 14 380hp 47k miles, raise to 210 then back down to 195 as the fan comes on full speed.
Use a powerful flashlite thru your CAC and RAD to see if there is any dirt.
Don't ever drive on dirt roads. Hose out both every trip home.

Tags
engine, temperature