Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2021, 02:11 PM   #1

Newmar or Integra or Foretravel

Buying my first motorhome, what would be the recommendation of the group. I have looked at a LA 4551, Essex 4551, and a King Aire 4531. I am interested in the group feeling as to the best unit between Newmar, and Integra and Foretravel, which I haven't seen, but at the same level of 605 hp and luxury and quality. The units would be 2019 or newer. I will have to travel to check out anything but a Newmar, so I would appreciate the group's help with this.
Thank you,
Trexrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2021, 02:23 PM   #2

Newmar/ Foretravel

Entegra

In that order.. I am partial to Foretravel as I own a 2002 U320 and any of the Foretravels you begin with as they have really good bones. My rv had 200k on the dial when I got it and one cabinet door needed fixed as the screw hollowed out.

Guess it depends on what years also.. My next Rv will be a foretravel again.. For a host of reasons.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:28 PM   #3

I have a IH45 that Foretravel. This model is no longer make. I have a running buddy that has a 2109 Cornerstone Entregra.

In 2018 Foretravel went with a Spartan Chassis. It is build stronger then the Cornerstone chassis.

I have taken tour of all 3 factory's. Entregra was the best since PJ knew every answer to every question that was asked of him. If he was asked a question he would come back with what year, and then answer the question. Entregra makes way more coaches then Foretravel. You will pay more for a Foretravel. When I got my IIH45 I did not think there were very many differences between the Cornerstone and IH45 but once I owned the iH45 and then go in the Cornerstone you can see the differences. Of course there is a big price difference also.

Foretravel come out of Nacogdoches TX, the other two are from Indiana. Since I live in Texas it is nice going to the factory for service. Texas Friend with Newmar has made the comment about wishing their factory was close to Texas.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:41 PM   #4

Last year I was doing the same exploration you are now and decided on a Newmar Essex 4551 after looking at all the rest, I owned a New Aire and wanted something larger.

Final and most important decision point for me was the high quality dealer in Minnesota, Steinbring in Garfield, MN (they are amazing) and the experience I had taking my New Aire to Nappannee for service (amazing also).

I ordered a new Essex 4551, got everything I wanted and have not been disappointed at all.
Ezhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 02:50 PM   #5

If I where buying new I would go with the Foretravel as you can design your own floor plan. After owning a large A class motorhome you know exactly what you need and want. I would still go for a Foretravel used but you can most likely buy a new model Entegra or Newmar for the used price of the Foretravel.

Good luck in your search and adventure.
Good To Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 02:55 PM   #6

I’ll start with a few questions:

Do you have experience with recreational vehicles of any sort? You indicated this would be your first motorhome. It would be useful to know if you are totally new to the RV world or if you have prior experience owning a travel trailer, fifth-wheel, large boat, houseboat, or similar.

How “handy” are you? I’m asking that because no matter how much you’re willing to spend on a motorhome it will not be trouble-free. In fact it is generally the case that the more you spend the less trouble-free a given coach will be. Not because you spent more, but simply because the more expensive coaches tend to be more complex; i.e., they have more things to go wrong.

How tolerant are you of unanticipated issues? This question is related to the previous one. If you’re going to be beside yourself every time something hiccups you may want to consider starting out with a lower level/less expensive motorhome. That approach would allow you to gain some experience and not take a huge depreciation hit if you decide motorhome ownership isn’t for you.

With regard to Newmar versus Entegra versus Foretravel, my reasonably well-informed opinion is that Newmar and Entegra are very comparable. Both are large companies, making and selling a large number of coaches every year. Both have their loyalists, but there are also a number of motorhomers who have owned both brands.

Entegra’s top-of-the-line product is the Cornerstone, which is comparable to a Newmar London Aire or Essex. Entegra does not currently offer a coach in the same price range as the King Aire.

Entegra and Newmar both have factory service centers, factory customer service groups (call centers/help desks), and a nationwide network of authorized dealerships. One of those dealerships is National Indoor RV Centers, which has five sales, service & storage facilities around the country. NIRVC is a popular choice of many Entegra and Newmar owners here on iRV2, so if you decide to go with Entegra or Newmar you will be well-served to have them on your list of candidate dealers.

If you end up buying a used coach from a private-party, you’ll still want to be aware of that brand’s dealer network since you will undoubtedly need service from time-to-time.

Foretravel is a MUCH smaller company. They’ve been around for many years and have a loyal group of owners, but the last I checked there are only a couple of dealerships where you can buy a new Foretravel. They do have a factory service center, which is relatively centrally located in Nacogdoches, Texas (roughly halfway between Dallas and Houston).

I don’t mean to steer you away from Foretravel, but for a first-time motorhome owner I believe you will be better off and have more support resources at your disposal if you choose Entegra or Newmar.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojack View Post
I have a IH45 that Foretravel. This model is no longer make. I have a running buddy that has a 2109 Cornerstone Entregra.

In 2018 Foretravel went with a Spartan Chassis. It is build stronger then the Cornerstone chassis.

I have taken tour of all 3 factory's. Entregra was the best since PJ knew every answer to every question that was asked of him. If he was asked a question he would come back with what year, and then answer the question. Entregra makes way more coaches then Foretravel. You will pay more for a Foretravel. When I got my IIH45 I did not think there were very many differences between the Cornerstone and IH45 but once I owned the iH45 and then go in the Cornerstone you can see the differences. Of course there is a big price difference also.

Foretravel come out of Nacogdoches TX, the other two are from Indiana. Since I live in Texas it is nice going to the factory for service. Texas Friend with Newmar has made the comment about wishing their factory was close to Texas.
The Entegra Cornerstone is built on a Spartan chassis and always has been. The difference is that the Cornerstone is on a Spartan K3 chassis while the higher-end Foretravel's are on a Spartan K4 chassis. The K4 is a stouter chassis, designed for heavier coaches like Foretravel's high-end products.
Old 05-25-2021, 03:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good To Go View Post
If I where buying new I would go with the Foretravel as you can design your own floor plan. After owning a large A class motorhome you know exactly what you need and want. I would still go for a Foretravel used but you can most likely buy a new model Entegra or Newmar for the used price of the Foretravel.

Good luck in your search and adventure.
He hasn't owned a large Class A motorhome before. Until a given owner has some real-world experience owning and using a motorhome, it's really hard to know what to ask for in a custom floor plan.
Old 05-25-2021, 03:36 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra and Newmar are comparable. Great coaches but Foretravel is a step up, and costs more used or new.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:13 AM   #10

If I had it to do again I would have gone with the Foretravel. Much better built rig but in very small quantities so higher price. In the end find a layout you love and you will be happy with any of the three you have listed. If price is no object move up to the Foretravel. For me the entry price was an issue and when looking at used could not find one with a layout the wife loved. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:18 PM   #11

Do keep in mind that Foretravel is no longer owned or operated by the Fore family. The last full year of their ownership was 2004, and the company just about went bankrupt and shuttered in early 2005. A group of investors, primarily funded by a silent partner, the late Dane Miller of Biomet, bought the company in 2005. Not sure who is providing the capital these days.

The coaches are still well-built, but are not exactly the same nor going after the same target market as the 2004 and earlier models. For a while, the current ownership seemed to be going after the Newell market, but more recently, the Realm was designed/spec'd by MHSRV (at least according to the O'Banion family, who were the exclusive seller of the first years of the Realm).
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:39 PM   #12

Recently had the same questions. We traded a 2011 Newmar Mountain Aire on a Spartan chassis that we had purchased new back in the day. It was a highline coach during that time period but Newmar has since changed their lineup, added the London Aire to the mix, and obviously continued to upgrade the Essex and KA. Our Newmar was a good coach and served us well for 10 years. In our journey to making our new purchase decision we looked at upgrading to a King Air, looked at Entegra's Cornerstone, and ultimately ordered a Foretravel Realm.

No coach or manufacture is perfect but the service level that we have received from the Foretravel factory representatives during the build process, and after the sale, has been AMAZING. We NEVER had that kind of experience with Newmar. Don't get me wrong I am in no way trying to bad mouthing Newmar, but Foretravel is next level for sure. All three brands we considered have the 605 engine so we don't ever have a hill driving here out west - which is awesome. The fit and finish is great, and we love the true flat floor into the back bathroom. The upgraded Spartan chassis rides like a dream, and when you close the door you don't hear anything outside - it was not like that when we closed the door on the King Aire or the Entegra Cornerstone.

It is hard right now with inventory levels low and not being able to walk through and touch and feel everything. We did visit MHS in Alvarado, TX to see a Foretravel and Entegra side by side before we made our purchase decision, you could probably still do that if you time the visit with one of the motorhomes they have preordered for delivery. We did not get to see the exact floor plan we wanted to purchase, but it was worth the trip and sold us on the purchase decision. Hope this feedback helps. Good luck on your journey and in making your purchase decision.
utarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:51 PM   #13

I have a 2019 Newmar London Aire. It is a very nice coach, but my next coach will almost certainly be a Foretravel. No way I personally would choose an Essex or King Aire over a comparable Foretravel.

But that's just my personal opinion.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:22 AM   #14

I suggest that you follow the various forums on this site to educate yourself about what the owners of these brands are experiencing.

IMHO that will help you make an educated decision.

Tags
entegra, newmar, travel