Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
We loved the front door but now have went back to mid door. If we ever get a new coach it'll have a front door.
rollingslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2015, 04:18 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we look at lots of MH with front doors but decided on the mid door because there is no need to crawl passed by wife every time I want to get out or the dog needs to get out. I she is relaxing she can keep up all that hard work. She needs her rest so she can take command of the wheel the next 300 miles.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:48 PM   #17

DW wanted a mid-entry. I needed 10k tow rating, the kids needed bunk beds. That narrowed the field a lot. We ended up with a Thor Palazzo 33.3. Wife didn't want children running out in front of her.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
DW wanted a mid-entry. I needed 10k tow rating, the kids needed bunk beds. That narrowed the field a lot. We ended up with a Thor Palazzo 33.3. Wife didn't want children running out in front of her.
Looks like if the Coach is a its GVWR........you only will have 4k to tow
2015 Palazzo Motorhomes: Class A Diesel RV by Thor Motor Coach

Even if you get the GVWR down a bit, I can't see getting 6k off it?
Old 02-02-2015, 07:19 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The new HR pusher is mid door. As a matter of fact, the door is just in front of the rear wheels. The door is opposite of the 1/2 bath so one doesn't have to walk through the entire coach to use the toilet. Its well thought out. Fleetwood Excursion also has a mid door. It seams the front door isn't as popular as it once was.
chuckftboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Seems to me most DPs have front doors, most gassers have mid doors.
Wife prefers mid door, I prefer the front door as it takes up less usable space both topside and storage bay. However we looked at a 2007 London Aire and I liked that one even with the loss of storage for the central door. It even had a drivers door which is unusual for a DP.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:57 PM   #21

We have a mid door entry and enjoy the easy and close access to the kitchen and bathroom. Plus DW feels safer going down the road knowing she is not sitting next to that big door and false floor over the entry steps.
Ruddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:45 PM   #22

We were purposely looking for a mid door DP due to handicapped father in law, I did not want to have to get past him getting in and out. I do agree with the fact,we gave up some additional seating, but would not change a thing.
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:46 PM   #23

Our MH has a mid-entry door as well as a driver side door. I really like this arrangement as I can easily get out of the coach via the drivers door but the mid door is more convenient for folks to go directly to the fridge/kitchen or bathroom which is the primary reasons people need to get in the coach.
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:49 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
Thor Palazzo is one that jumps to mind. Also, at the other end of the spectrum Newell offers a mid door as a option.
I've looked at a few Newells around the 2007 model years and I really like them espically the way they do their slides. The mid entry is quite nice and I would be quite happy with that configuration.

I'd really like a used Newell but even the 2007s are more than what the budget will allow.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our coach has front door entry. We don't like it, for all the reasons stated previously by others.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #26

Pro's and Con's for Front and Mid entry doors, and it comes down to what is important to you when shopping. Much fewer DP's with Mid entry.

I know we have wind noise, and also it's amazing how much of the view is blocked out of the passenger side by having the door and door jamb/side bulkhead of Front entry.

When driving, we'd really like a Mid entry, when parked the Front entry does allow less storage lost in basement and inside cabinet - but rewards with easier access to kitchen/restrooms. I do suspect that a Front entry could have a less rigid frame around the passenger side of the coach which might make a difference in a minor to medium impact crash.

Choices, and that is good for all or us. Either choice is going to have compromises...

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #27

Having had a gas Class A first, we were firmly convinced that we wanted a mid-door DP, and that front doors were very awkward, etc. But then as we were looking at front doors, we began to realize that, for us, a front door mad more sense because once you are stopped, that whole front of the coach is otherwise wasted space, and that the mid door's stairwell forces more inherent limits on where a recliner or table can be along that one side.

And for us, also, playing with the dogs, while every once in a rare instance a ball ends up at the bottom of the stairwell, it's pretty infrequent with the front door, whereas it was common with our old mid-entry setup.

But that said, if I found a mid-entry and loved everything but the mid entry... I'd still buy it

Steve
Old 02-04-2015, 11:07 AM   #28

It will probably depend a lot on your life style. For us, the mid-door is more convenient. Closer to bath and kitchen when parked. Easier to get groceries to the reefer (unless you have a front reefer). And, most important to us, the entrance is under the big awning.

One more thing ... if we had front entry and carpet, we'd be bummin' about the traffic pattern from the front door.

Tags
door