Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe it's just me, but IMHO the only reason to buy a DP is if you are doing a lot of traveling, putting a lot of miles on the MH on an annual basis, or living in it full-time. To me it just doesn't make financial sense to spend that kind of money on a rig that sits for months or weeks unused at a time.
I own a gas V10 Class B+/C, and my expenses are minimal for maintenance. I do most of my own work. We put about 5-7000 miles a year on it (so far) and it's been a very reliable rig. I just can't see us in a DP at this time.
Not dissing anyone's choice of rig, but I tend to look at the practical, financial side of things when making big ticket decisions.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2012, 07:19 AM   #16

High end vs entry

Well said High end
WE RV 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:19 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
What's wrong with ego?
Ego is fine, we all need it. Inflated ego OTOH... Do you really want to open that whole can of worms about arguments based on someone's rig is bigger/better than another's? Come on...

If ego should drive these kinds of discussions, then unless you can compare the various models of the Prevost line, just step away from the keyboard and hide in shame.

Since, according to one person, I don't have a high end coach, I guess I am not qualified to even be part of the discussion...I guess I must take my leave from this thread because I am unqualified and obviously lack ego too.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines
What's wrong with ego?
“The foundation of the Buddha's teachings lies in compassion, and the reason for practicing the teachings is to wipe out the persistence of ego, the number-one enemy of compassion.”
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When the wife, kids and I were tent camping years ago, we thought we were high end, we were having fun, happy and content.

We went from that to a very basic motor home which we kept for a few years. Went from there to a house boat, (floating camper). Next came an entry level camper. Upgraded to our first dp. That lasted for a couple of years and we now have upgraded to a new dp.

Let's face it people, they all are just house trailers on wheels! Nothing to get excited about. We enjoy our friends and others whether they are driving a Prevost or pulling a Scamp!

burfurd
Old 08-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #20

Maybe I've managed to miss something in the OP, but it seems we have wandered WAY far away from his topic? Egos vs. motor homes on Ford chassis? C'mon!
Old 08-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #21

Good Years and Better Years

I have a 99 American Eagle. Bought it last year, with 50,000 miles on it. Things like the washer/dryer, stove, etc, had never been used. Coach was in good shape and well maintained. We happened to be going through Indiana, so I made an appointment with the factory to have a few small items looked at. We were there for 3 days. While there, they have a nice lounge you can stay in, or you are also invited to wander the shop floor to see all the repairs in progress.

I had a really interesting conversation with one of the service people who had worked the factory and the repair facility for a combined 18 years I think. I asked him about our particular coach, what kind of problems were peculiar to it, things I should look for, etc.

He thought we had bought a "good year". I asked what a "good year" meant. He said that the factory comes out with a new design or new chassis and it takes a year or so to work out all the little kinks and details. It takes a year or two for the public to find out that the new design is a good one, and then sales take off. When sales take off, the factory has to hire additional workers, who may or may not have the skills to put it togther as well as it should be. Increased sales can lead to quality control problems. Then this really good design suffers from quality issues.

The trick is to buy one of those coaches that has a good design, but not built during that rush period when the factory is trying to pump them out and quality control issues come up.

I guess the lesson I learned, is if you are considering a used coach, talking to someone at the factory, who works on them evey day, might be time well spent.
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #22

We RV 2, I follow where you were trying going and do agree. Many(not ALL) leveling jacks, water pumps, AC units, radios, TVs, Fridges, Stoves, window assemblies, roof vents, lights etc are all the same...no matter how much the RV cost. Sometimes the quality of the build can be the same and sometimes it isn't from lower end to higher end units. It is all what someone accepts to their likings for which to buy...high or low priced units.
1 of the biggest problems with the whole industry when trying to compare is: When did the "RV" go from a "recreational vehicle" to a "status symbol" that is used 24/7/365? There isn't much even put in the high priced RVs that is acceptable for 24/7/365 use. They are a home on wheels and ALL of them will break. Many times the higher the initial cost of the RV will yield higher repair bills when broken.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
When we went looking to buy a DP, we thought that we could get an entry level model on our budget. After looking at all the options, a friend offered us his lightly used but older Monaco Executive at the same price for the "entry level" diesel. Never looked back. A much better buy. Get the best you can afford and don't discount a nice used model. Let the original buyer take the depriciation hit. We saved about $150,000 this way. That could end up paying for LOTS of maintenance.
stich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by stich View Post
When we went looking to buy a DP, we thought that we could get an entry level model on our budget. After looking at all the options, a friend offered us his lightly used but older Monaco Executive at the same price for the "entry level" diesel. ...
That is where I think we are headed. Started looking at the newest entry level DP (Ventana, Dutch Star, Diplomat types) of reasonable quality we could afford in the 06-08 model years. Problem has been that to get the things we wanted we had to be highly picky on what we would consider. Things like king beds, room for stackable W/D and other odds and ends with the right floor plan was getting tough.

After some advice I started look at higher end models (Mountain Aire, Dynasty, Essex) and found for nearly the same price of the 04-05 model years I got most of everything I wanted and didn't have to fight so hard to find the complete package. The hardest thing in some of those models is getting a floor plan that supports stacked W/D but not nearly impossible either. These models include Tag axle and often some nice options like hydronic heating and much more. I suspect that being the "high end" when they were bought that the owners tricked them out more than the average entry level unit buyer would or could.

We are still looking for the right unit but we certainly are thinking this is a better way to go then entry level. That is keeping with our plans to go full time. If we were not planning to do that, I think our current RV would suit us just fine for trips in the month or less range.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #25

Always keep in mind that anything that's not structural can be customized

I could take my coach, do $50,000 of mods to the inside, and still be under the cost of a new entry-level Class A gas coach (much less the cost of an mid-level DP!)

Steve