Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2016, 11:00 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to talrogers
Entry door jams when leveling coach

I have a front entry 2003 Safari Zanzibar made by Monaco on a Roadmaster R4M chassis with a RVA tripod leveling system. On some campsites when I try to get level the chassis and walls will flex enough so that the door jam warps and we can't get out of the coach without lowering the jacks some which make the bus unlevel again.
Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any ideas on how I might solve it short of selling it and getting a Newmar.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I can't quite grasp what is happening here! It seems to me the when you level the coach it would be the same as the coach sitting on perfectly level ground, and everything should be lined up just like it was made on the factory floor.

Have you used a long carpenter's level to see if the coach is really level when your system says it is?
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to talrogers
Hi MSHAPPYCAMPERS, Thanks for your reply. Actually you just made me think of something. The points of suspension are in different places - on the ground you are supporting four points of the frame (one in each corner) with the shocks and air bag suspension. When on leveling jacks you are pushing up on two rear corners, but in the front you are pushing up just in the center allowing sag on the corners.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #4

Sounds like 3 point leveling is your problem. Once you take enough weight off the front tires you're sitting on a single jack with nothing to prevent the front end from leaning towards one side. If the ground is higher on one side that will make it worse as that tire will be applying more upward pressure causing the chassis to twist and they can and will twist.

EDIT: Sounds like you came to the same conclusion I did while I was typing.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:11 PM   #5

Our coach has 4 point leveling and the same thing happens.. The problem is that the only jacks the level side to side are the rear jacks.. The fronts are not designed to do that.. So you can get quite a twist in the frame.. I found the best thing to do is put 2 ft long peices of 2X10 boards under the tires on the low side and then finish level up. No more binding.. I keep the boards in the trunk of the toad.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:23 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Leveling

On a three point system always make sure your front one is deployed first to lift or at a minimum unload the front suspension, even if the front is already higher when you pull in you still need to lift it a bit. This will then give you a pivot point so the rears can level side to side without frame twist. If you have automatic leveling try doing it manually as your auto level may not be working properly.

http://rvajacks.com/coach_owner.php
sticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:18 PM   #7

The three point leveling system was used on many coaches for years. I personally have not read of all that many folks that were unhappy with it. It has it's theory of operation and, I guess it works, I've not owned one.

But, we sometimes have the same issue the OP is having when we level. And I go through a bit of an exersize of leveling in certain conditions. If the site is un-level enough, I bring out the big guns (tapered leveling blocks) that I drive up on so that the coach is primarily level.

Now, I use the jacks as "fine tuning" and stabilization. It works flawless every single time. But, as stated, on some occasions, we too will get binding when opening our entry door. Yes, it makes no sense to me either. I've racked my brain trying to figure out why, when the coach is dead level, I'm getting a bind???

I guess I kinda think that, if you have to tweak that frame/body/suspension in the "Just right amount", (even though we're perfectly level), it can cause an issue. It doesn't happen every time, and not to all coaches. I'm just trying to reason things out.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:23 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Sometimes it is better for the coach to be a little off level. Anytime you jack it up enough to the point of not being able to open the door, you have exceeded the limits of the coach. Back off the leveling or reposition the coach
Old 10-18-2016, 04:19 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It takes more work but level your coach as much as possible by placing dunnage under the tires. Use the jacks to take the bounce out.

The three jack system is like a three legged stool. You lift the single front and level using the rear two jacks. Also, make sure you bleed your airbags down before using the leveling jacks.

If you're lifting wheels off the ground in the leveling process...you need to do as I first mentioned...drive up on some boards to do as much leveling as you can that way.
USA-RVNomads is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, entry door, leveling