Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2011, 08:41 PM   #1

Cool Entry Step has quit working

We have recently purchased a 2000 Monaco Windsor motorhome. Last week the entry step quit working completely. We have checked the fuses in the Outside Roadside Front Compartment as per the manual and they all appear to be OK. Does anyone know what else we can check? Thanks in advance.
BobandMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
See this thread which discusses the same issue..

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/kwik...em-101538.html

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:29 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine stopped working due to a corroded wire at the plug near the battery control center although this was an anomaly as far as I could tell. A lot of the issues seem to be attributed to a corroded ground near the step itself so if you're handy, slide under the step and check there first. There are other things that can go wrong in 11 years but that is the easiest to diagnose.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:59 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobandMarie View Post
We have recently purchased a 2000 Monaco Windsor motorhome. Last week the entry step quit working completely. We have checked the fuses in the Outside Roadside Front Compartment as per the manual and they all appear to be OK. Does anyone know what else we can check? Thanks in advance.

First check to see if the light under the steps comes on when you open the door. If it does, you have 12 volts to the 4 pin plug. Next check the plug on the motor for 12volts with the door open. Also if you have 12 volts check your grounds.
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:44 AM   #5

My step stuck in the closed position,so I used a battery charger to feed 12 volts directly to the motor by unplugging the motor from the controller feed.
NOTE! you need to be clear of the steps when Doing this,if the motor starts it can pin you down between the steps and ground !!!! BTDT
The steps can be reversed by reversing the polarity at the motor feed.
My steps cleared and work fine now,there is a current limit circuit and if the motor draws to much current things stop moving.
A good oiling and cleanup did the job.

Dick.
Airtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:43 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Recently steps on my 94 Monaco Executive would not fully retract or extend, they just pick a spot to park at random. Done some checking and determined my motor was bad (Kwikee 32 series steps) replacement motor (#9551) and kit (which I didn't need) was $125 to $200. I had read some where that some car electric window motor would work. The short of it 86 to 89 Ford Taurus left front window is an exact fit, I purchased it from Auto Zone, Dorman window lift motor #742-277, just under $50 with my military discount. Took about an hour to do the job.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
One word of caution, when working on steps with the power on do it from forward or aft of the step. Keep your fingers away from them as well. Once you find the bad wire and wiggle it, if you are under the steps it will turn into a very bad day.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #8

I just had that problem on my MH. Turns out it was a bad contact on a connection in the battery relay box in front of the MH.
CharlieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are a couple of versions of step controllers on Quikee and not all of them turn the yellow light on. Mine is supposed to be it only works when the switch is in the "follow the door" position.

There are typically 3 fuses in a Quikee setup. One is the master fuse (20 amp) from the main power source. There is a second fuse (6amp) in line with the ignition switch. Sometimes that fuse is installed in line as part of the wire from the ignition to the step controller and is not part of a fuse panel. The 3rd is in line with the power switch for the door. This one also may not be part of a power panel.

As others have cautioned, it is easy to cause damage to fingers and arms when attempting to trouble shoot stop problems. This can be done a little more safely by pulling the cotter pin and then the connection pin (with main power fuse pulled) between the steps and the motor arm. This serves a couple of purposes. It means the motor is not going to take your arm off. It also gives you a chance to move the steps through their travel cycle and check for binds. If the steps don't move smoothly in and out by hand, they may be bent or need lubrication according to the owner's manual. When you are certain that you don't have a mechanical problem, then you can start checking connections and taking stuff apart. Our steps failed, too, but it was because of a bad control board.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote