Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2018, 03:51 PM   #15

Decided to do surgery on the patient...

Took gear box apart and noticed that 1/4 of gear still had factory grease on it.. took the gear and rotated it 1/4 turn on square shaft. Reassbled and good to go....

For now at least... Adjusted the stop points and cleaned and greased before re assembling
Adamsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2018, 04:15 PM   #16
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
FYI: AM Equipment has the 214-1001 motor for around $90. Several years ago I paid $80. The 214-1001 motor is used on all Kwikee steps.

They can also be found on Amazon for about $70.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Unless you can see an issue with the main gear, replace the motor.

My main gear went on the last couple of teeth. Since the gear was no longer available I found a weld shop that fabricated new teeth with weld buildup. Been working for four years (knock on wood).

Your gear looks to be aluminum but I hope that’s just the photo. If you can get the gear, that would be my approach. If not, and it’s weldable, that may be another option.

On mine, what I now know which I didn’t then, is that my controller was the issue and not correctly shutting off power once the load spiked. Based on my experience, if your controller is not the issue I would replace the motor while its apart and store the old one as an emergency spare.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsta View Post
Decided to do surgery on the patient...

Took gear box apart and noticed that 1/4 of gear still had factory grease on it.. took the gear and rotated it 1/4 turn on square shaft. Reassbled and good to go....

For now at least... Adjusted the stop points and cleaned and greased before re assembling
Adamsta,
Well Sir, It appears we've had an almost identical problem. Our step motor would "ratchet" as it ended the retract movement. What I found out is that, the gears would end up in the same spot, each and every time, either at full extension or, full retraction. So, there's a wear point at which, in some time, the teeth on that part of the driven gear will eventually fail. Some take longer than others. I tried some reversal of the driven gear to maybe think the gears would end up at the end of the travel, in a different and less worn spot. Well, based on the way the driven (larger) gear is placed on the pivot shaft, it now ratcheted when it was fully extended. So, it was a lose-lose situation for me.

I ended up buying a brand new gear box from ebay for $67.00. Been working flawless ever since, that install, about 3 years or more ago.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030959.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	192380   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030962.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	192381  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030963.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	192382  
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamsta View Post
Was working on setting up toad and opened the door to motorhome, all good. Step came down and I entered. Closed the door behind me. Heard the steps come up and once fully retracted the motor seemed like it wanted to keep closing causing it to loud pop repetively like it is still trying to close fully or not registering it was closed....

Any thoughts?
To replair my step motor problem, I went to O'Reily Auto Parts and bought a passenger side rear door power window motor for a 1989 Ford Taurus. It matched my step motor exacty, and was under $50.
RPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPrince View Post
To replair my step motor problem, I went to O'Reily Auto Parts and bought a passenger side rear door power window motor for a 1989 Ford Taurus. It matched my step motor exacty, and was under $50.
Here is the part number and brand.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180215_153814.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	192455
RPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
RPrince, A1 Cardone 42-309 was the same motor I purchased as well for my Kwikee motor replacement. I too, purchased mine from O'Reilly's in March 2015 for $43.20.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps