Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Entry Steps Problem

On our last outing, the entry steps suddenly quit. I poked and prodded until they tried to work. They went slightly in and out, and then a grinding sound started.

Believing that the gears must be the problem I purchased a new mechanism, excluding the motor. I tested the motor and everything looked and sound okay, gears on the motor appeared to be fine, so I put it all back together and they still sound like something grinding.

Hopefully, someone can offer thoughts on how to fix the problem, or at least how to troubleshoot this.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Bill
Outlaw Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #2

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw Bill View Post
On our last outing, the entry steps suddenly quit. I poked and prodded until they tried to work. They went slightly in and out, and then a grinding sound started.

Believing that the gears must be the problem I purchased a new mechanism, excluding the motor. I tested the motor and everything looked and sound okay, gears on the motor appeared to be fine, so I put it all back together and they still sound like something grinding.

Hopefully, someone can offer thoughts on how to fix the problem, or at least how to troubleshoot this.

Bill
I have never trouble shot an electric step but don't worry that wont stop me from posting something.

Troubleshooting is easiest and most obvious first than work you way towards most difficult and least obvious.
I think we have eliminated a bad fuse as you said it was trying to work and no loose wires for the same reason.
an you disconnect the actuator arm from the step to see if the motor and gear assembly will work without grinding? If no grinding look at the steps for something bent or a bolt missing. If grinding continues then it is probably in the gearbox. gear bushings can be bad and when not trying to operate and it might look ok.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:43 AM   #3

There are some internal plastic gears within the motor that when they fail they will make a grinding noise, especially at end of stroke unless they have totally broke. Likely the motor. I did the Ford window motor, didn't last long. This last time I went with the LCI motor.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #4

This might sound stupid, but with the gearbox disconnected are you able to move the steps in and out smoothly on their own? If so, I would suspect an internal problem with the motor. I went through something similar after there was something blocking the steps from retracting (a small flower pot) so the arm that connects the steps to the gearbox broke.
seanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw Bill View Post

Bill
Gears in the Motor - Made of Plastic - Break when someone steps on the step before it is fully deployed - Replace the motor with the Ford Window Motor - Same plastic - Don't step on step before it is fully deployed.

I replaced mine with the 1996 F-150 window motor - Drilled the holes to work and installed. For $42.00 will give it a try - easy fix - Besure to TURN OFF THE ELECTRIC - or lose a HAND. -

Dangerous spot if electric is HOT.

Hope this Helps,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:49 PM   #6

Need to replace the motor
Take serial number off old one
I got mine on Amazon
Easy to replace
There are you tube vids for DYI
coaster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:05 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Too bad you're not closer. I have a complete step and also a spare motor in my shop. Don't ask why.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps