Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2022, 11:55 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
EPDM Roof Issue 2000 Fleetwood Bounder

My roof was coated by a previous owner. Went up to wash it and found severe peeling.

I'm getting conflicting advice about what to do. Some say the roof has to be replaced as I'll never get all that up sufficiently to obtain a good result from a coating. (This from an RV Roof guy in Pensacola who walked me through what to get for a full replacement and quoted a fair price for the job then proceeded to ghost me when I got it all in)

Others say it can be stripped and coated

(This after I bought an RV Magic set based on another local RV Roof service who "got busy" and dropped out on me) .

If you're playing the Home Game I now have both a coating system and a replacement kit on hand. This has become a DIY job - maybe I can find a guy to help on the install if it's to be a full replacement.

What should I do?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2022, 12:15 PM   #2

I've not needed to do my EPDM roof because I always used Eternabond Tape to seal up seams but I did a lot of investigation about what others did.

I think if you are healthy enough and able to work up on the roof, then a new roof would be the best route. That is IF you have a nice covered carport or RV port to park and work under...since we're heading into summer. You will need several ladders and a couple friends to lower/lift ACs and new vent covers and skylights but you'll have a brand new roof when you're done ready for another 22 years or more of service.

On the other hand...they likely make a cover coat of goo that you could pour and roller over the roof, after it's as cleaned up as you can get it.

If my knees worked better, I know I'd go with the new roof, and then sell the other stuff I bought on eBay. I found when I checked the numbers that I could rent a covered space and gotten ladders and equipment for cheaper than I could have paid some shop to do the job by a long shot.

But as I said, it all became a moot point when I found the Eternabond. I know you probably can't use it now unless you can peel up enough of that old stuff to get it to stick. Eventually, I sold that RV and bought one with a fiberglass roof, but I still used Eternabond tape on all the seams.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:31 PM   #3

Do you have any leaks? Can you post pictures ? That would get you better opinions.. do you have a place and tools to do it..?
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 04-21-2022, 02:19 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't have a photo server - seems I need one to post photos?
No covered place to do it - work will be in my driveway.
I have rolling scaffold I can run alongside.
Old 04-21-2022, 02:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
EPDM Roof Issue 2000 Fleetwood Bounder

You do not need to have a server to include photos in a post.
IRV2.com can host the photos used in your post see below.

See post #8 for instructions on adding a photo to a post.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/foru...tml#post477709
Old 04-21-2022, 02:29 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is what I have
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220127_132736478-001.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	363252  
Old 04-21-2022, 05:51 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Yea, that looks pretty bad. Looks like the original roof has lost it's protective coating. Seems a new roof is in your near future. But, with that said, there may be those here that have had this same situation, and were able to fix another way. Hopefully, they will show up and post.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:59 PM   #8

Appears that: The dark grey is the waterproof rubber, that was at one time covered with a reflective white sacrificial coating that when it rains would streak your windows. Then it appears someone didn't prep the surface well enough or the weather was too poor for the application of some aftermarket roof coating that has since sloughed off.

So, wrap it with grey tape and you'll be good to go. Hah!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 08:44 AM   #9

If the roof isn't compromised and leaking and there is no rips or damage, I'm not sure you need a new roof. Many EPDM roofs get down to the dark color because the reflective coat has worn off over the years but the base layer is still intact. There are a number of roof coatings that will protect it for many more years. Some are made by Henry's that can be bought at Home Depot or Lowes and others are made specifically for RV roofs and of course more expensive. But first, you must deal with the pealing. I would try carefully trying to scrape the pealing areas, being careful not to damage the EPDM in the process. Next would be to try sanding the materials off, again being careful. Someone put paint on our roof that eventually started peeling in small flakes. A power washer took most of the loose stuff off. I had to be careful with the power washer. it can penetrate the EPDM. Next, I sanded the remaining paint with a disc sander using 60 grit discs. I bought Heng's roof coating by the gallon. I did sections of the roof at one time that could be covered with the one gallon, starting from the front of the coach. I'm still at it since it takes a while doing it that way. But the results are way less expensive than a new roof and I can do it myself at my own pleasure. When done, it will last for many, many more years. All of this of course depends on whether or not you have a problem with leaks. I did not. Good luck in whatever you choose. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 10:20 AM   #10

Thank you for pictures... so I have that kind of roof.. 20+ old.. I am 2nd owner.. when I was adding insulation behind front tv, that is mounted to front top.. you will find rv factory folds 2 or 3 ft extra roofing there.. my point is.. gray/black is the true color of epdm. And white is just painted on top.. more heat reflects.. I guess..
So if no leaks... and no leaks.. it's your choice.. no one really goes up there..
If me.. I would check closely for damage and leaks.. if none.. I would give it good cleaning.. seal with et. Tape all around vents, and cap.. then spot treat the black areas only.. now I am 60+ so to pull everything off roof and recover would be something I could not do.. if you are young.. and really feel.. you plan to keep more than 25yrs+ it's up to you..
From what I could see.. you still have 10+ yrs.. if no leaks.. so you are going to get many opinions..
Yes.. if you just spot treat.. there will be more peeling.. and more spot treatments.. the peeling will never stop.. so even with that.. you can go a long time.. spot treating for that amount of time it takes to do a whole roof..
It is just fine.. if you want to replace.. only thing I have to add.. is that members here post.. that you can rent a ladder that has a lift on it.. for roofing shingles.. to carry a/c up and down and makes it a one man job.. hope the helps.. just note.. if original a/c they are very fragile.. one drop and they are done.. and heavy.. for one person.. you want to store them inside flat.. also.. if you plan to recover.. plan on set backs.. you may find places under rubber that needs repairs.. so double or triple time you plan to recover.. then 2 to 3 weeks to troubleshoot reconnecting everything and testing..
So don't feel bad.. you can go either way..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 04-22-2022, 03:14 PM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

we have seen this many times. It looks like someone at some time put what is probably an elastomeric coating over the roof. Water probably got underneath and now it is peeling. A light power wash will help get most of the loose coating off let it dry and apply and solvent based coating. This will allow the coatings to cross-link and chemically bond to the surface. Also when washing be sure to get a mildewcide that will kill any surface spores prior to application.

Another item you might want to consider are the seam areas if there is any noticeable separation in the seams you will went to reinforce them with either a tape or poly fabric.

thank you
RV Roof Magic.com The RV Industry's DIY roof coating for over 30 yrs. 10-Yr Warranty. Our proprietary solvent allows for a chemical cross-link cure not found in other coatings.No primer needed one coat! Call 855-281-0907
RVRoofMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 03:35 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I recoated our Windsor roof with EPDM roof coating from Roof Magic. It still looked new when I sold it.
https://www.rvroofmagic.com/
Or this: https://www.epdmcoatings.com/liquid-rubber.php

Unfortunately, someone either coated yours using the wrong material or didn't properly prepare the surface.

I'd start by using a brush and pressure washing it. The objective it to get that old stuff off without harming the rubber membrane.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, roof, bounder