Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2020, 09:28 AM   #1

EPDM Roof "Paint" Issue

It appears that a previous owner of our coach used paint, probably latex, on the roof. Every time I wash the roof it flakes off in tiny pieces and is all over the sides and on the ground. I want to recoat it but need to remove the paint first so the new coating doesn't peel off. The roof is in good shape with no leaks etc. I have tried to sand it off but it is really stuck and will not sand easily. But the next time I clean it the flakes appear again. I would appreciate any suggestions to get this stuff off. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2020, 09:30 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
pressure wash?
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
pressure wash?
Tried it. While it did remove some, lots more started flaking again later. Chuck
Old 01-12-2020, 09:49 AM   #4

who makes a coating for that type of roof? I'm thinking you would be time and money ahead to replace the roof with new

one !
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog2 View Post
who makes a coating for that type of roof? I'm thinking you would be time and money ahead to replace the roof with new

one !
Absolutely no reason to replace the roof. I need suggestions on how to remove the paint. Chuck
Old 01-12-2020, 10:10 AM   #6

Some say rubbing alcohol but I would check with Dicor:

https://dicorproducts.com/product/ep...oating-system/
Old 01-12-2020, 10:42 AM   #7

Thanks. But while I have and use the Dicor cleaner, it does great to clean the roof but nothing to remove latex paint. My issue is not cleaning. It's paint removal. I tried mineral spirits and a number of other solvents in spots but they don't touch the dried paint. Too much will damage the roof. Chuck
Old 01-12-2020, 09:16 PM   #8

try Goof Off from Home Depot
Old 01-12-2020, 09:49 PM   #9

Are you sure about the paint idea? I once helped apply Dicor to a roof, and it turned out that one of the gallon cans had been frozen, or over heated, or . . . something. It was faulty.

When it finally cured, it looked like a bad latex paint job - it cracked up and started flaking off. We ended up brushing as much off as we could over a few days, and then we hit it again with the Diclor cleaner/catalyst and a pressure washer and re-coated it with another thick layer of Dicor to encapsulate the flaky stuff.

It held up, at least for the remaining four years my friend owned that rig.

We looked at ways to remove the bad coat, but anything that might touch it was also going to run down the side of the rig, or compromise the EDPM. Mechanical removal was the only option we could think of.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancslad View Post
try Goof Off from Home Depot
Tried it. No Joy. Bobby, yes I'm sure this is paint. It's way too thin for any other kind of coating. There is a layer of some type of coating, perhaps Dicor, under the paint but it is very stained and nasty looking. That's why I want to put another coating on. But the paint flakes all over the ground around the coach and all over the sides are very annoying. Chuck
Old 01-13-2020, 10:16 AM   #11

Dry ice or walnut shell or other media blasting may remove it. None are cheap option. We rent dry ice blasting at work it cleans things and areas that seem impossible otherwise especially in the time frame . Some of material/mess is soft and gooey same material will get rock hard right next to it. Without damaging concrete or good paint if your carful. It does this introducing more hazards and hazardous waste or more material, solvents.or water. Then we can sweep or vacuum just what was removed.
Rubber is pretty much impervious to even sand blasting.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
Are you sure about the paint idea? I once helped apply Dicor to a roof, and it turned out that one of the gallon cans had been frozen, or over heated, or . . . something. It was faulty.

When it finally cured, it looked like a bad latex paint job - it cracked up and started flaking off. We ended up brushing as much off as we could over a few days, and then we hit it again with the Diclor cleaner/catalyst and a pressure washer and re-coated it with another thick layer of Dicor to encapsulate the flaky stuff.

It held up, at least for the remaining four years my friend owned that rig.

We looked at ways to remove the bad coat, but anything that might touch it was also going to run down the side of the rig, or compromise the EDPM. Mechanical removal was the only option we could think of.

Seems the logical way to handle it. First apply plastic to protect the coach then carefully keep pressure washing until all the loose material is removed. Next apply the 2 part dicor system as outlined in the video for epdm and tpo roofing. Do not sand or use abrasives, or petroleum based products such as goof-off or mineral spirits as that will affect the roofing adhesive and or penetrate it causing bubbling and leaks. You should be left with a roof that will provide many more years of service.

Tags
paint, roof