Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2015, 02:51 PM   #1

Epic Trip Planning-Need Input

Hi!
We've just traded our 30' TT for a gas 36' Holiday Rambler. I'm in the early stages of planning an epic trip from south Florida via AZ to Mt Rushmore then back via WI next year in Sept.
What are your feelings and advice on towing a vehicle vs renting a car when we need one?
Secondly, are there routes we should avoid in CO? I would like to take rte 285 N to Denver from NM. Do you foresee any issues?

Thanks in advance.
lbwagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2015, 03:05 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
AS far as towing a car we do travel quite a bit. We home base in Oregon and have great grandkids in Maine, Florida and California so every couple of years do an around the USA trip (with lots of stops along the way). We would not consider any long trip without a tow car. Years ago I rented cars instead of towing but it was a bit of a hassle. We have broken down three times requiring several days of repairs or waiting for parts. Great to have a tow car to get around in those circumstances. I have not traveled on rte 285. That said Welcome to irv2 and I hope you have a great trip.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:32 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We owned a Class C for ~11 years, never towed a vehicle but several time my wife would follow in a car. We now have a Class A, for the first year we didn't have a toad, big mistake as we made an EPIC trip to Alaska without a toad and still regret it. We now have a Jeep that we pull all the time, even on short trips as it is more convenient to get out and about in a car versus a motorhome.

As to your trip, you have started the planning process well in advance and you should get some good advice. I hope to make a similar trip/route in the coming years.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:15 PM   #4

Going to Mt Rushmore, Needles, Custer State Park, Devils Tower, Wall Drugs, etc you will definitely need a vehicle. My choice is a motorcycle just beautiful country. Other parts of the trip I would say you would need a vehicle as well.
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:21 PM   #5

Definitely pull a toad! You will need to figure out the capacity of your hitch, the allowable towed load, as well as the allowable TOTAL weight of the tow vehicle, the toad, and all the stuff you want to pack in prior to purchasing a vehicle. Lots of threads on toad choices available on this forum, and WELCOME to the forum!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The first year we had the coach, we didn't pull a toad - saw no need for it. We rented at the destination a couple times, and that got old fast. Starting with the second year, we started pulling a toad.

We don't always bring the toad: if we're going for a weekend trip, like a dog show, and we are sure we won't need to go anywhere, we leave the toad home. If we think we will want to go somewhere, we bring it along. Most of the time we're making a weekend trip to a dog show, and only half the time we take the toad.

But if we're going on an excursion, where we will likely want to take some side trips (or will have to head into town for groceries and supplies) we always take the toad.

It's a little more work to take a toad along, and it requires a bit more vigilance while driving (watch the toad's track while taking corners and plan ahead so you don't get someplace where you need to back up) but it's not that bad compared to the hassle of finding a rental car and hurrying to get it back before they charge you for another day.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:14 AM   #7

We never leave home without the toad. Just never know when one might break down. Even on short trips. We can unhook or hook up in 5 min. So not any hassle . As to not being able to Bach up -- one figures that out real quick and does not get in those positions.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:19 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
You need a toad. We did a similar trip without one, West Yellowstone had one car left at Enterprise Rental for $300 for 2 days, and such a hassle!

After that we tow a Chevy Avalanche, works great. X2 on the motorcycle, too!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:44 AM   #9

Take a towed. If you have a front drive car and it cannot be towed 4 down then look for a dolly with surge brakes. I'd use a dolly anyway but there are folks who would rather spend a few thousand more to go 4 down.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
We tried the "dolly" path and were very happy to throw a couple of hundred dollars extra in the pot to tow 4 down with a stay in play braking system.
Peterd503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:29 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Regarding highway 285 from NM to Denver, there are a few places where the road climbs/descends for a few miles, however, drive with caution in those areas, it's very scenic and you shouldn't have problems.

If you're not used to mountain driving, be sure to gear down going up AND down and don't ride the brakes. When you get close to Denver (Conifer/Bailey), you'll be in a heavily trafficked mountain area and then descend into Denver, so plan ahead.

And, welcome to IRV2!

Hope that helps - have fun!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwagner View Post
Secondly, are there routes we should avoid in CO? I would like to take rte 285 N to Denver from NM. Do you foresee any issues?
You've already gotten plenty of great advice regarding the tow'd, and I concur with all of it.

As far as 285 is concerned, my Mountain Directory reports that there are sections of passes starting right around Salida with grades in the 3-6% range, most of them 4-5%. Ironically, it isn't the steepness of the grades that's of most concern but their length. As pagosajoe already mentioned: don't ride the brakes - gear down to control your speed.

There are also several mentions of reduced-speed curves in the 45mph range, so pay attention to any warning signs and you should be just fine.

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:05 PM   #13

I agree with the need for a TOAD

We always have the toad attached. Even on short trips. A couple of bits of advice from my corner of the room. First research the toad. We pull a Jeep Liberty. Most of the Jeep Libertys have a neutral select on the transfer case and no locking steering. Both make towing much easier. If this is the route you take make sure and leave the trans in park. Not all vehicles can be flat towed so do research first. We used a tow dolly on our last motorhome but the flat towing is so much easier. Second, I recommend a tire monitoring system. I picked up a nail in a rear tire on the toad around Chicago. By the time I realized the tire was low the sidewall was shot and I needed a replacement.
agood01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:20 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by agood01 View Post
Most of the Jeep Libertys have a neutral select on the transfer case and no locking steering. Both make towing much easier.
Yes, those are great features to look for. My old toad (Chevy Avalanche) was like that: transfer case in neutral, transmission in park, key out of ignition and lock the doors. My current toad (F-150) still puts the transfer case in neutral, but I have to also leave the transmission in neutral and a dummy non-chipped key in the ignition. I felt much more secure that nothing was happening to the transmission or engine when the transmission was in park, and I don't like leaving the key in it even though that key can't start the engine.

Quote:
Second, I recommend a tire monitoring system. I picked up a nail in a rear tire on the toad around Chicago. By the time I realized the tire was low the sidewall was shot and I needed a replacement.

TPMS is a very good idea. You'd like to think you will notice a flat tire on your toad, but the odds are very good that you won't. You got lucky that the tire didn't go completely flat, start shredding, and damage the toad with the tread flailing around.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote