RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2017, 08:41 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Equalize charge house batteries

Taken directly from the owners manual:

Batteries can sulfate over time. When sulfating occurs some of the sulfuric acid has adhered to the lead plates of the battery and does not enter the electrolyte solution though normal battery charging. A battery with a low concentration of acid in the electrolyte will effect the battery's performance. Sulfation can occur when a battery is stored in a discharged condition or when a battery is continually cycled below a 50% state of charge. An indication a battery has sulfated is when the inverter is in float charge and the hydrometer reading has stabilized below a full state of charge (approximately 1260).

An equalize charge cycle may promote the acid to leave the lead plate and enter the electrolyte solution. This is done by charging the battery at a slightly higher than normal voltage for a short duration. The equalization cycle will charge the batteries at approximately 15.5 Volts for eight hours. To maximize the results from equalize charging initiate the equalize cycle after the inverter has entered float charge.

Only liquid lead acid or absorb glass matte (AGM) type batteries should be
equalize charged. Other battery types can be damaged if equalize charged.
Monitor the electrolyte solution closely when equalizing a liquid lead acid battery.

A battery's "healthy" cell(s) can be damaged if overcharged. High DC
charge voltages can also damage voltage sensitive electronic equipment

We are plugged in 95% of the time. Sure seems like quite a bit of stress to put the batteries through.

Has anyone done this? Does it help?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2017, 06:29 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Some people do it quite often, and my Magnum controller can remind me every 30 days.

For no reason other than that seems excessive to me, I do mine once a year during the spring. But I upgraded my coach when I first bought it and put in another set of house batteries increasing my total capacity, so I always typically have more than enough battery capacity for our travels.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:40 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by draboo View Post
Taken directly from the owners manual:

Batteries can sulfate over time. When sulfating occurs some of the sulfuric acid has adhered to the lead plates of the battery and does not enter the electrolyte solution though normal battery charging. A battery with a low concentration of acid in the electrolyte will effect the battery's performance. Sulfation can occur when a battery is stored in a discharged condition or when a battery is continually cycled below a 50% state of charge. An indication a battery has sulfated is when the inverter is in float charge and the hydrometer reading has stabilized below a full state of charge (approximately 1260).

An equalize charge cycle may promote the acid to leave the lead plate and enter the electrolyte solution. This is done by charging the battery at a slightly higher than normal voltage for a short duration. The equalization cycle will charge the batteries at approximately 15.5 Volts for eight hours. To maximize the results from equalize charging initiate the equalize cycle after the inverter has entered float charge.

Only liquid lead acid or absorb glass matte (AGM) type batteries should be
equalize charged. Other battery types can be damaged if equalize charged.
Monitor the electrolyte solution closely when equalizing a liquid lead acid battery.

A battery's "healthy" cell(s) can be damaged if overcharged. High DC
charge voltages can also damage voltage sensitive electronic equipment

We are plugged in 95% of the time. Sure seems like quite a bit of stress to put the batteries through.

Has anyone done this? Does it help?
Here is a good thread to read through Brad..........lots of experience and info. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/equa...ms-290504.html

Tags
batteries, house batteries