Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2020, 02:02 PM   #1

Equalizer systems Hydraulic Lines leaking

I've had a hydraulic fluid leak in my Class A DP for the last couple of years and decided to take it in for troubleshooting and repair. Apparently, all the hydraulic lines have weep holes in the lines which are there to alert the owner that a hydraulic line failure is going to happen in the near future. So I have 8 of the 12 lines leaking and will have to be replaced. Anybody have any idea what kind of repair bill I am looking at? Are hydraulic lines expensive?
krudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2020, 02:08 PM   #2

….just guessing but perhaps $3-4 per foot....a lot of the cost is labor as OEM lines often have to be abandon in place and new hoses run via alternate routes.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 02:16 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think Old Scout is correct. I had my Equalizer jack system replaced at the factory and was surprised to see the old lines bundled up inside. I asked about that and they told me they don't remove the old lines -- too hard.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnavycdr View Post
I think Old Scout is correct. I had my Equalizer jack system replaced at the factory and was surprised to see the old lines bundled up inside. I asked about that and they told me they don't remove the old lines -- too hard.
Am I looking at a repair bill of a couple of thousand dollars to replace the 10 hydraulic lines? My Mechanic uses a local company to make up the hydraulic lines as opposed to OEM stuff.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:49 PM   #5

Well,
This is a new one to me. I've never, EVER heard of "weep holes" in any part of a hydraulic system. If you were to have weep holes, then how would you develop the correct pressure to make a system work correctly? Hydraulic lines, fittings and valves are sealed to give you AIR TIGHT operations. I have HWH jack and slide operations on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and it has, in all it's hydraulic plumbing, no weep holes. Kind-a wondering here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:52 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree with Fire Up, never ever heard of weep holes for a hydraulic line. Regardless, they should be replaced if they are leaking. And oh yes, it is going to cost you a chunk of change depending on lengths, labor involved, etc. If you can do any of the replacement yourself you could save some bucks!
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:27 AM   #7

...let me try to help you out here...."weep holes" may not be standard to all hoses but for some brands and applications they do exist....for example, the HWH hydraulic hoses on my 2003 DP are made up of several layers of material with a thin, tough outer layer--perhaps to protect the hose from cuts or abrasions ....what I have seen are weep holes in this outer layer....if a leak develops mid-hose or at the connectors....the leaking fluid doesn't track back thru/under the outer layer---I assume that is the purpose--opinions and facts may vary....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 11-03-2020, 07:09 AM   #8

[QUOTE=FIRE UP;5506293]Well,
This is a new one to me. I've never, EVER heard of "weep holes" in any part of a hydraulic system. If you were to have weep holes, then how would you develop the correct pressure to make a system work correctly? Hydraulic lines, fittings and valves are sealed to give you AIR TIGHT operations. I have HWH jack and slide operations on our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and it has, in all it's hydraulic plumbing, no weep holes. Kind-a wondering here.
Scott[/QUOTE
Weep holes are in the outer casing of the hydraulic lines. They are there to let you know the inner hose has sprung a leak. I didn't know about this either until the mechanic told me
Old 11-03-2020, 09:07 AM   #9

The stainless braid is the real strength of a hydraulic hose, you won't need a weep hole to let you know it failed.

I googled 'hydraulic line weep hole', one thing I have learned is never say never:

https://www.google.com/search?client...line+weep+hole

Basically nothing, weep holes in hard parts, not in hoses.

Also, if you've got numerous leaks you'd have numerous puddles on the ground beneath it.

OTOH, assuming the guy is right, if you're going to change 10 of 12 lines why didn't he advise you to also change the last 2? It's not unusual to have to take several lines off to get to the one that's blown. To me it doesn't make sense to not advise a customer do them all, replacing either of the remaining lines in the future would be really expensive compared to doing it now, and if that many have failed how long do you think the final two will last?
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:05 AM   #10

Be careful of just 'replacing' hydraulic hoses making them longer. I've read several times over the years that the length of the hoses are calculated and that you shouldn't just put in any old length.

If your system is an HWH, contact AZPete and double check on that weep hole thing and if you're going to go to a shop that's going to make the hoses.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #11

….OK--everyone who has inspected and personally replaced HWH hoses--raise their right hand. These are the folks to listen to. Exact length is only important, if at all, for hoses that go between syncro- tubes and the related dual cylinders....not sure what the real purpose of weep holes is in the outside hose jacket--just know they exist....perhaps AZpete will enlighten us.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 11-03-2020, 11:49 AM   #12
Commercial Member

yes. in the outer covering of the hose, there are tiny holes in some lines. they are not weep holes.
it depends on the mfg. its helps with expansion and contraction when the line is pressurized. as far as i know, thats the only function of the holes. its one of those things i don't think much about.
i also leave old lines in place, unless the owner insist. i cut them in pieces and pull out what is in sight. out of sight, out of mind. some cant be removed without a lot of time.
the only hoses that require the same length, not exact, but very close, are the lines from the sync cylinder to the room mechanism, and from the tee to the mechanism on the pressurized side.
if i were replacing 10 hoses out of 12, i would do the last two. just common sense.
you can get hoses made locally, its your coach, and their warranty.
remember our hoses are rated at 6000 lbs, and the pump generates 3200 to 3500 lbs.
check the rating. crimped fittings also have a lower rating than swaged fittings.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:06 AM   #13

Right on Pete,
Thanks for contributing and the clarification.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #14

I have the same "weeping" hoses that you do on my 2007 Journey 39K. All the hoses are oil soaked and leaking between the fitting and the hose and also out of the weeping holes and oil coating the convolute outer protection sleeve too.

I just got in 14 of the HWH hoses for the two front balance cyl slides (6 each) and the two front jacks and two slide Nylon block kits from Stuart's. I replaces the broken Nylon guide blocks today and got rid of the clunk when the drivers side slide comes in. Starting on the hose replacement project tomorrow. AzPete has been GREAT with tips on doing this. I am not really looking forward to tomorrow's "bath" in Dextron III, but it is a long way to Iowa to let HWH do it.

I strongly recommend getting the hose numbers and sizes off the current hoses (tag on each end next to the fitting). Winnebago and HWH engineering drawings were not fully consistent on the size and part numbers. I went with the "as built" hose numbers. Note that the old hoses will have AP numbers. The new hoses have RAP numbers and are sold in 6" increments, so some hoses may be a little longer after the old numbers are crossed to the new ones. As AzPete said, there are equal length hoses going from the the balance cyl to the room cyls and the tee to the room cyls.

Jay

Tags
ems, hydraulic, leak