Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2016, 03:38 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Essex vs Heritage vs Country Coach

We are looking to purchase a used 2007-2009 high end tag. Are having a hard time figuring out which coach is the best coach for the price. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreicated.
THanks
wpchateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 03:41 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think you would be happy with any one of those
Old 07-07-2016, 04:21 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Best coach for the price is really subjective to the purchaser. We probably wouldn't agree on which one was best. As Ben and Sharon already said most people would be very happy with any one of the three. If they're all in about the same condition and at a price that makes you happy, get the one that has the best floor plan for you!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:43 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
All three are great coaches, but be sure that the floor plan fits your needs, that all the electrical systems and the management systems are easy to work and repair.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:01 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Agree with all. Trying to say one of those is better than the other is an exercise in futility. Pick the one that works best for you, size, layout, and price.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:18 PM   #6

Coach wise -- all nice choices.

Engine wise...the model years that you're considering fall into the range where the EPA standards were changing and evolving. I like the 2007 and earlier models because you don't have to worry about it....in 2008, they had a terrible (IMO) system before they went to DEF (DPF regeneration). With the DEF system, you'll have to add DEF, but that's not a major issue (other than one more thing to keep filled). If it were me, I'd avoid any that have the DPF particulate burn-off system and go with an earlier model or one that requires DEF. Just my .02

Our 2006 Country Coach has a CAT-9 diesel pre-emission control and it runs like a champ.

Carl
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlAda View Post
Coach wise -- all nice choices.

Engine wise...the model years that you're considering fall into the range where the EPA standards were changing and evolving. I like the 2007 and earlier models because you don't have to worry about it....in 2008, they had a terrible (IMO) system before they went to DEF (DPF regeneration). With the DEF system, you'll have to add DEF, but that's not a major issue (other than one more thing to keep filled). If it were me, I'd avoid any that have the DPF particulate burn-off system and go with an earlier model or one that requires DEF. Just my .02

Our 2006 Country Coach has a CAT-9 diesel pre-emission control and it runs like a champ.

Carl

The DPF system was mandated by EPA for all diesels built after 1/1/2007. Practically speaking those engines started showing up in motorhomes in the '08 model year. The DEF systems were in response to the EPA requirements on engines built after 1/1/2010. This system appeared in coaches in 2011. These systems are additive. Both systems are on current coaches.

These two systems were to address separate issues and one does not replace the other.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The DPF system was mandated by EPA for all diesels built after 1/1/2007. Practically speaking those engines started showing up in motorhomes in the '08 model year. The DEF systems were in response to the EPA requirements on engines built after 1/1/2010. This system appeared in coaches in 2011. These systems are additive. Both systems are on current coaches.

These two systems were to address separate issues and one does not replace the other.
Didn't know that...thanks ... So, the newer coaches still go through the frequent regen like the earlier ones did?
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
Old 07-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlAda View Post
Didn't know that...thanks ... So, the newer coaches still go through the frequent regen like the earlier ones did?

Frequency of regen seems to be widely variable. Depends on the ECM flash level & how the coach is driven. These are very complex systems that taken in total have roughly doubled the price of a modern Diesel engine as compared to the same engine produced 15 years ago.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:23 AM   #10

I'll stick with my 06 CAT
Old 07-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #11

I also agree that all three of those are a no lose coach. I'd toss in the Monaco Executive/Signature, Travel Supreme Select, Blue Bird/Wanderlodge and Foretravel, say U320 on up. All of this depends quite a bit on how old of a coach you are interested in, as already discussed, different years bring different levels of smog related changes.

When we went looking, we looked for pre 2006 smog change levels higher end coaches. Simpler and more mature engines life cycle. CAT, CUMMINS or DETROIT all have good BIG BLOCK engines in those era. Mid size CAT and Cummins, but they would not be in the coaches you're talking about.

As you can see by reading Class A section, many posts on 'How old is too old?'. And that is a matter of opinion with pro's and con's each way. We liked the price point, and allowed a good size allowance to make any upgrades we we felt were needed to make it 'our coach'. And this worked out great for us. I got the electronics I wanted, she got the valances and new recliners she wanted. Upgraded to residential fridge. Upgraded battery capacity bank and added robust solar panel system. Etc., Etc. And, all of this for about 1/2 the costs 1-3 year equivalent higher end coach. And also for about 1/4 - 1/3 of a MSRP discounted new higher end coach. The one we ended up with was not quite as high up the food chains of the ones mentioned, but the DW wanted that coaches galley. It had just under 13K miles on it, so not even broken in.

That worked for us, and my own personal regret regards to not getting a BIG BLOCK engine. But, happy wife, and you know the rest!

To each their own, and happy hunting. Livability is the key, all else is secondary.

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:10 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Blue Bird Wanderlodge and Motor Coach Brokering Service

BlueBird quality, Big CAT power
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:27 AM   #13

Our thoughts when shopping in 2012 were exactly like Smitty above. My only regret is also not getting the ISM 500 HP motor. That said we have upgraded our coach a lot, and are very happy with it.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:14 AM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
We purchased a 09 Essex earlier this year and could not be happier. The floor plan works for us, also the 500 HP, 4000 Allison with a tag was important as we plan a motorcycle lift and pull a Jeep. Still some things to do to make it ours but got the time. The DW loves it, so all is good.