Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2021, 04:26 PM   #43

You could try: Joe, only you know for sure that you did nor didn't break the window; I am not interested in going after you in any way, but if I see you one day washing and waxing my rig without being asked, I will assume that you are in an atonement mood and would thank you for it. John
john foose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2021, 04:41 PM   #44

Actually windows do break themselves. I’ve experienced it twice. Both times with no one nearby (other than me) and a significant bang. Although not RV windows they were larger auto windows...one a rear and one a side in an SUV.

You said the hot sun was on it. A likely cause.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:03 PM   #45

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattitude View Post
1) You really have no proof that he broke the window... Had you investigated the "noise" and found the window broken at that time, it would be different.... but you didn't... If I was a judge, I'd certainly suspect you are correct, but wouldn't rule that way..

2) You hired a guy to wax your coach for $135...??? That's not close to the going rate anywhere I've lived... That would tell me he is not a professional, just a guy with a buffer who's hard up for money... You get what you pay for..

3) You can't get blood from a rock... Sounds like he doesn't have the money to pay if he wanted to, or if you won a lawsuit.... A threat to sue won't mean much to him... and to actually sue would probably cost you more than $1K in aggravation, time, and frustration..

4) If you complain to the RV Park, who he wasn't working for at the time you believe he broke your window... that's just petty, sour grapes... it drags you down to his level...

Good luck with your decision....
I am as shocked as you at that price. That's not worth getting the ladder out for. And I believe he also said the guy did his car! Holy Cow! If the guy is as poor as the OP thinks, and he probably is, pay him a decent rate. We washed and waxed our fifth wheel and it took us 2 1/2 days and it was back breaking work.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:08 PM   #46

Is it really worth your time, money and aggravation to go after someone who cannot pay? Probably not. Do you want to make an enemy of someone who will be looking after your RV to a certain extent? Again, probably not. As a previous poster said, you can't squeeze blood out of a turnip. Let it go, buy the guy a beer and make a friend of him. He'll probably watch your rig like a hawk and maybe ever give you a couple of free details. Life it way too short, don't sweat the small stuff.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:10 PM   #47

One thing you might do now is see what a lower deductible might cost for glass coverage ( comprehensive). Might not be as expensive as you think.
Laird C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:19 PM   #48

Let this be a less to you, hire only bonded insured licensed workers. It will cost you more, but then you can sue their insurance.
jpuckett001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:20 PM   #49

I would just forget about it. A Thousand dollars in not chump change but it’s not worth the aggravation you’re going to put yourself through and are putting yourself through right now!. Just put a lot of good in the world it’ll come back to you. Carmas a bitch, and you’re not on the receiving end!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:22 PM   #50

I only read the first page. Don't know if this has been outlined.

"What bugs me is not the breakage $$ amount... but rather any untruth." And, I'd tell him exactly that in those words.

Then... I'd say: "I always appreciate your work ethic and finished product. Truth always wins and I am ready to reward your truth."

Then, I'd ask him: "How did the window crack". At that instant I should be able to determine if he did it... either by his admission or pretty well tell by his demeanor [and body language and words] if he claims to have no idea how it broke.

After that exercise I'd make decision how I'd handle things.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:12 PM   #51

Let it go

The guy probably lives from paycheck to paycheck and isn't making much of an hourly wage. Probably doesn't have much of a benefits package from the park as well. Money is money and a thousand dollars is like a million dollar lottery win for many people today. The guy probably feels extremely bad and much worst knowing he can't make amends. You've learned a lesson and he probably has as well. It's been a rough year for many and showing kindness to this guy today wil put you at ease and you won't dwell much more on the fact that it cost you a grand. The kindness shown today will be repaid a thousand times over tomorrow. It's extremely difficult for people in his shoes to look at what the people in the park have and to know that he'll probably never ever have. Be a good guy and ask him to wash and wax you vehicle but not your MH. He may also be able to do some odd jobs for you as well. Let him know that you're giving him a break and be careful in the future and don't bite the hand that's willing to help.
Rone46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:20 PM   #52

It is obviously awkward so I am with the guys who said talk it out with him. Coming to an understanding, even if you get nothing material out of it, can be beneficial.
DrTomIverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:52 PM   #53

I've seen guys (and girls) get paid hundreds or more to buff and wax airplanes and end up scratching the paint or worse, damaging one of the control surfaces. Same with buffing and waxing 40+ foot boats, some with damage. Go to a yard, they charge sometimes $40 or more a foot for buffing/waxing, a private un-insured person with a $49 buffer can do thousands of dolars worth of damage and the only recourse is to complain. Rule #1 for lawyers is "never sue poor people".
You can hate the guy, waste a lot of emotional energy, but never recover any money. Or chalk it up to exerpience.
Bob
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:15 PM   #54

You met him at the RV park where he was working. What am I missing here? He is a employee of the park. He worked on your vehicle on the park's property and he is employed by the park? You may be barking up the wrong tree.
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:52 PM   #55
WDW

I’m on the vote you assumed certain risk in hiring a non professional. His duty was to exercise reasonable care. If an accident occurred that was not because of a deliberate act on his part, he has no obligation. However, because you need to interact with him, be the bigger gentleman. Have a conversation and tell him your disappointment in the lack of transparency. Then break bread. Have lunch, dinner, pizza - something to demonstrate that in life relationships and people are more valuable than the stuff we own. You can’t buy relationships or friends but you can cultivate goodwill and that my someday pay a dividend when you least expect it.
WDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:02 PM   #56

Let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Last November I hired the RV parks night gate guy to wash, wax, and buff my RV and car. He works and lives in an RV here in the park. He and I are acquaintances, nothing more. Meet, greet, exchange pleasantries, move on.

What happened during the time he was buffing the RV as I was sitting at the dinner table with the front curtains closed and sun blockers installed behind the big front windows of my Class A (to keep out the heat of course), was I heard this loud banging and what not up front. Didn't really think much about it at the time. Loud enough that I noticed it but not loud enough to make me get up and go talk to the guy. I felt I knew him well enough that if he'd scratched the paint with the ladder he was using or something, he'd let me know.

After I paid him, it was a few hours before I noticed a crack from the top to the bottom in the drivers front window. By now, he was in the guard shack working so when I returned from an errand, I mentioned he owes me for the broken window.

After his shift he immediately comes over and insists he didn't break the window. That he'd avoided standing on the top front like I'd warned him about. I agree he didn't stand up near there on top of the RV as I could hear him when he walked up there but the window didn't break itself!

I later borrowed a ladder and found swirl marks in the window like from a buffer someone had accidentally lost control of when they may have lost their balance on a ladder or something and was flailing around with it and it hit the window while rotating (took a picture of that).

Argued with him a bit and told him things weren't over that I'd have to get it fixed to know the costs. Drove down to an area where I knew I could get the window replaced and had it done a month later. I have $1,000 deductible on my insurance that I didn't realize affected what I paid. I thought it might be all paid by insurance but it wasn't. So it cost me $1,000.

Than when I returned, couldn't find the guy anywhere. He'd disappeared. So I only stayed a couple weeks, than headed up north as usual. AND Covid-19 had hit by then so it was a dicey time and I thought he'd run.

Stayed up north until a couple weeks ago and came back. AND he's here again. But he tries to dodge me whenever he's at the gate and I drive in or out. Even going so far as leaving the gate open so I don't have to stop when I return from an errand. So I don't really think he has the $$ to pay me back.

Here's my dilemma, I'm not broke. By all appearances from what I've seen over the years is that the guy isn't really all that rich.

But...$1,000 is a bucket of money, one's anyway.

Should I threaten to sue? Threaten to go to his boss here at the RV park? Insist on getting free wash, wax, and buffs from now on, twice a year (value is like $135 counting supplies), keeping in mind he broke my window with his buffer so would not want it to happen again. Or just forget the whole thing and let the guy off the hook?

What would you do?
IMHO let it go is the right approach that money means a lot less to you than the guard you to took a chance hiring him you did not check if he was insured or licensed
Starchase is offline   Reply With Quote