Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2021, 10:10 AM   #71

The kind thing

First: I would do the kind thing and apologize for being so upset and ask his forgiveness for the fear and stress I caused him.

Second: I would change my insurance company. I had a broken Class A windshield a couple of years ago and my insurance paid the whole thing.

Third: I would give thanks for being fortunate enough to own a motorhome and be able to cough up a grand.

Peace be with you.

Glenn
Reed208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2021, 11:51 AM   #72

The three most important words in the English language are I'm sorry, I forgive you, I love you. The windshield could have cracked after he left and he may not have known or realized it did. You don't have to "test" him to see if he is lying or not. The next time you go through the gate, take him a cold coke or soft drink that he can drink on the job, smile, and go on. This gesture lets him know you (1)don't hold a grudge, (2) are not mad at him and (3) that you are not after him for money. This will also guarantee that he will not try to avoid you when you come through the gate, that he can rest easy because you are not going to dun him to death, and that you might become a friend. You can't have too many friends, hugs, or prayers. Problem solved. Let it go.
Linda Bohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:04 PM   #73

I haven't read all six pages, so if this has been said it just got said again.

But coming from someone who's been there, even if you did sue and get a judgement, you're unlikely to ever get the money. Let it go.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:23 PM   #74

Triple E Owners Club
Posts #71 and #72 say it all. Like I said before, If this is the worst thing that happens in your life you are a very lucky.
Also if you want to cheer him up, let him read 74 posts written about him. He did get a lot of free press!
Have a good year everyone, we need it.
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:42 AM   #75

Its a very big liability to hire a worker that does not carry their own liability and workmans comp policy and in many states you would be viewed as their employer not a customer so therefore responsible for any property damage or injuries they caused to you, themselves of any others.

Be happy he didn't injure himself or anyone else or damage other peoples property or you could be on the hook to make good for more than just your own windshield.

Never hire him again however you may want to ensure that he does not do similar to others since its usually illegal to be doing side jobs like this uninsured and potentially illegal in your area to hire an uninsured worker to do side jobs for you. Depending on the legalities where this happened if you take him to court it could end up in your having to pay a fine for hiring him without providing the proper insurance coverage.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:36 AM   #76

Winnebago Owners Club
To me, this line in OP says it all
I hired the RV parks night gate guy to wash, wax, and buff my RV and car.
Someone you say you didn't really know, but you know for sure he's not a professional detailer that has insurance for just this type of issue. This is not much more than just hiring a guy off the street. At that point it's pretty much 'you pay your money and you take your chances'. He may or may not have done it, he almost certainly didn't do it on purpose.
Let it go.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:52 AM   #77

I like too and often look into the "mirror" to see what and how something happened. I am a FL licensed general contractor and own my construction company. What you did was hire an unlicensed uninsured individual. You wish to reap the benefits of low cost but wish to defer all responsibilities if anything happened. It doesn't work like that.

It cost me a lot of money when I was young and without disposable funds to obtain my license to the tune of thousands of dollars back in the late 90's. But I did it the correct way.

I have zero sympathy for those who work or hire individuals devoid of being properly licensed and insured.

It costs money to do things correctly and that cost is passed on to the consumer but if a problem arises said consumer is protected.

You made a mistake that will cost you virtually nothing compared to what it could have cost you so hopefully lesson learned and move on I say.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:05 AM   #78

Everyone has a phone which includes a camera.

Always take completed pictures of inside and outside of ANYTHING you drop off for repair. Make sure you have the correct date and time while taking the pictures, get the shop in the background plus a photo of the rep's business card before AND after the photo session. A photo of the work order should also be included - that way you have a complete record of what's to be done and the drop off condition.

You might also consider taking photos in your fridge, liquor cabinet and of any unsecured valuables (electronics, jewelry, favorite socks, etc.)

Do this with rental cars before you leave the lot, etc.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:22 PM   #79

What To Do ?

Hey charge it off to EDUCATION. If the man is willing to work for "nearly nothing", I wouldn't expect much back for a mistake , or an accident. Face it....You were going to get something for nothing...and you did...a broken window. MOMCAT
momcat is offline   Reply With Quote