Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2012, 08:29 AM   #1

Ever sell an rv at Alliance RV?

I am thinking of selling my motorhome. We are full timers and have been on the road 7 years and I am now buying a new townhouse in Maine. I know a big change!

Will be spending this winter in Florida and was thinking of leaving the motorhome at Alliance in April to try to sell it. This might be a good time of the year. Also, I have a 2008 Monaco and Alliance is a Monaco service center and dealer.

So, anyone bought or sold there? Did you leave you unit on consignment?

Thanks.

Steve
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #2

Why don't you try here first. If you look at the volume sold it makes sense. Saves on fees and many people look for owner sells
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #3

What do you mean by here?

Steve
Old 09-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #4

IRV2 classifieds. Link at top of page.
danandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
The other free option is Craigslist.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #6

If you find the "right" place to consign your rig, it really takes a lot of stress out of the process. We've sold our RVs using consignment and were very happy as we don't really think that we could have sold our last one for too much more ourselves.

Consigning relieves you from showing the rig to "tire kickers" and dealing with scammers. You also won't be bothered by weird telephone calls and emails. And no negotiating with a private party which sometimes can be stressful.

Some things that we've learned:

Stay away from the big dealers and dealers that sell new units. We've found that they will usually offer the lowest "net price to you" on a consignment contract.

Try finding a smaller dealer that deals exclusively with used units and that may have both older and newer units. They should have an inventory of at least sixty units to generate a good traffic flow but some smaller lots might not have that inventory but will still have good sales because of their location.

Negotiate the highest "net price to you" with the consignment dealer as you possibly can, within reason, as you can always lower you net but will have an awkward time raising it later. Setting too high a price is obviously not a good idea either as it will be more difficult for the dealer to make a profit. The "net price to you" has to be reasonable for both parties.

Avoid dealers that charge up-front inspection fees. Many of the big dealers will charge a mechanical inspection fee and/or a systems inspection where most smaller lots will not. Many of the large dealers will require things like having a full tank of fuel and/or propane when you bring in the unit where smaller dealers may not.

Most big dealers will charge you a detailing fee even if you've done a good job of cleaning it yourself. Smaller dealers will tend to waive such fees unless the unit is extremely dirty or needs detailing badly.

Watch for dealers who suggest an inordinate amount of things that have to be fixed especially when they offer to have their service department do the work as that is added profit for their business. We appreciated that our dealer suggested only the minimal amount of work to be done for the unit to be shown and sold. That saved us a lot in comparison with other dealers that suggested that thousands of dollars worth of cosmetic work that should be done so that the unit would be near "perfect." Our dealer stressed that it is a "used" unit and people don't expect it to be perfect and that if they wanted "perfect," they'd go and buy a new RV.

Avoid dealers that might charge "storage" fees or any type of processing fees at the end of the term or when the unit is sold.

Avoid getting locked into a long contract. I don't think I'd want anything more than 90-days as you can always renew if you'd like but taking all things into consideration, your unit should sell within the 90-days.

We liked that our dealer was flexible in a lot of details of the contract, seemed straightforward in everything he told us, seemed honest, and did not give any indication of being a high-pressure dealer.

Our unit was sold in about 45-days and for the original net-price-to-us that we negotiated initially. It was about the price we were thinking that we'd settle for if we had sold it ourselves. So we essentially got our price without all the hassles.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Might want to contact Eagle Pride RV sales at The Great Outdoors in Titusville. My brother put his on consignment with them and sold it in a short time. I will be putting mine on the market with them when I get back from this trip. Honest people and Mike runs the service department at Eagle Pride there.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #8

Thanks to all of you for your good comments. I will take your comments in mind when I decide to start e sale of my motorhome.

Steve
Old 09-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #9
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
I traded in my 2006 Providence for a new 2011 Knight in July of 2011. The dealership is the best that I have ever delt with from sales to service they are top notch. I am speaking from my experience with them and other dealers over the years. I have purchased six new rigs from different dealers and Alliance is the only dealer I would recommend.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #10

Consignment at Alliance RV

We currently have our MH consigned at Alliance. They have several coaches on consignment, but also carry new Monaco brands. I have noticed a lot of traffic through their shop and sales. The consignment agreement is usually for 90or 180 days .
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #11

Oh-one,

Can you share what kind of terms they require to do this? I am planning on going to see me in the next week or so.

Thanks.

Also, what model rv are you selling?

Steve
Old 01-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #12

We have our 07 Holiday Rambler Imperial listed. I would suggest that you call Mark Casio at Alliance for the details. He has been very helpful and can describe the agreement. Tell him I sent you and I am sure the will do his best to help sell your coach. Good luck. Sam
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
I have no idea how their sales work. I just spent 10 days there while we had our coach worked on and waiting for prats. I saw at least 4 folks who were in the process of buying a new MH. Nobody looked the least bit stressed out. In the 10 days I was there I got the distinct feeling that they a good business model that allows them to make a reasonable profit, backed by good service they stand behind, at a reasonable cost. If I was in the area trying to sell a coach I would seriously consider them near the top of my short list.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote